Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Slip?

:Banane04: Hello everyone! I have a question. Does anyone know how you would know if you band has slipped. Does it hurt? Would you know if it has happen? Why would your port hurt a lot? I had my surgery on Feb 14th.

Boy is this a difficult question to answer. No, you wouldn't absolutely without a doubt know if your band has slipped. Many people who really think their band has slipped came to find out it just suddenly got tight and needed an unfill to fix the problem.

With MY slip came terrible nausea, acid reflux, inability to eat/drink and a lot of internal pain. Pain in the area of the band itself - sharp pain.

Others experience a sudden LOSS of restriction and can eat everything.

The only sure way to tell is to see your dr ASAP. The sooner it's diagnosed the better!

What are your symptoms or are you just curious??? Good luck!

I don't have any real symptoms. I just eat a lot (not as much as before the surgery) and an hour or two later I'm hungry again. I can't figure out why I'm so hungry.

April,

I had my surgery Feb 10th and was wondering the same thing. In the past 3 weeks I have been able to eat about double what I was able to in the first weeks after surgery. I was thinking it is probably the fact that the swelling has finally gone down. But still wasn't sure (and my next visit to the doc is not for weeks)

Skye

April & Skye, here's the good news: You don't have slipped bands.

Now here's the bad news: You're going to be hungry until you achieve proper restriction after one or more fills. Once the swelling goes down after surgery you are left with an unfilled band. It's completely normal for hunger to resume to pre-band levels.

Most doctors don't do the first fill until 6 weeks post-op. Try to think of this as healing time and not weight loss time. Once you get the proper restriction the weight will start to come off. Hang in there! I'm right there with you - I don't get a fill until May 10th.

My doc gave me a tiny fill .5cc 3 weeks post op and it made a difference because I was pretty well into healing and was get that hungry feeling again. Now I feel so hungry between meals...and hate that I can eat so much. I'm still watching what I put in my mouth and trying dilligently to stay on track.

Skye and Anwyn, Thank you both for responding. I'm glad I'm not the only one that is having this problem. Do you find that you are hungry about and hour or two after you eat? It is driving me crazy. I think I need to pump up the Protein again. I'm getting my second fill 4/25. Can't wait! I'm still losing weight but just don't feel much restriction. It is all starting to come together. I just need some restriction.