Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I am finally near the end of the pre-op journey (I think!) My paperwork should go in to insurance in the next few days and from there I will get a date if everything goes well, I have been waiting so long for this....But for some reason all I have wanted to do is eat, I sat down and ate a whole damn bag of funyans the other night...afterwards all I could think is what the heck is wrong with me. Why do I feel the need to eat junk like this now......am I the only one who goes through this pre-op before the pre-op diet....I am kind of panicking as ready as I am for the band I am so scared to fail and my eating habbits the last few days scare the crappy out of me that I will fail my band

Your band will not help your eating habits. You will still be able to eat funyans, probably the whole bag too. They are what we call slider foods, slide right down full of fat & calories. So, ask yourself do you want to change your eating habits forever? Are you willing to eat Protein like fish, chicken, greek yogurt, cheese, fresh veggies & fruit? if the answer is yes then you are ready. But if the answer is no or not sure then rethink your decision.

Remember the band is only a tool we have to do all the work & it isn't easy, it isn't a magic fix. It is wonderful when you do change your lifestyle and you work with your band. You will see success.

I don't mean to scare you (ok maybe a little), I just want you to understand you have to change a lot to be successful. I know you can do this! It's scary and wonderful all at the same time.

Good luck to you!

In some respects we have to go through a grieving process as we change our relationship with food. Sounds like that is what you are going through at the moment.

But be 100% sure that you can change your eating habits or you will have serious challenges with the band.

Good luck.

I know I will be okay once I am banded first because I have been successfully many times with diets and losing weight....I just can't seem to keep it off...I really feel like I am having a funeral for all the food and greiving for the upcoming loss...I don't know what else it is (other than the monthly visitor) but still I don't eat like this...it just has me nervous

Well aside from nerves, my doctor said its called " the last supper syndrome". You know you should no longer eat those things while banded so we eat all the things we can before we are banded but not only does it make it harder to give up these bad habits but also too it keeps your liver enlarged due to the fatty liver syndrome most obese people have due to unhealthy eating. So do yourself a huge favor and don't feel like you are having something taken away from you...look at what you are gettn after your lapband surgery...your health, your happiness, and a whole new you cause you are worth it....so chew carrots instead of funyons....or go for a walk or clean when you feel the need to eat that unhealthy food one more time....if you need Snacks make sure they are the prepackaged labeled 100 calories and keep a food log so you don't get carried away. Good luck!

Miss V - I had the same issue and so did all my family and friends...they were all trying to feed me like I was on death row! By the time I started my pre op diet I was so sick of eating .

So I am finally near the end of the pre-op journey (I think!) My paperwork should go in to insurance in the next few days and from there I will get a date if everything goes well, I have been waiting so long for this....But for some reason all I have wanted to do is eat, I sat down and ate a whole damn bag of funyans the other night...afterwards all I could think is what the heck is wrong with me. Why do I feel the need to eat junk like this now......am I the only one who goes through this pre-op before the pre-op diet....I am kind of panicking as ready as I am for the band I am so scared to fail and my eating habbits the last few days scare the crappy out of me that I will fail my band

before i started my pre op, i ate as i normally did

(all junk/high fat).....but when my pre op started, i began my new life..i had to change......or they'd be cutting me out of my house if i didnt stop....i wanted it....i wanted to get healthy.

def realize its not easy. its not a quick fix. aj is correct. the band will not help you unless you help it. granted it will help you feel fuller on less (esp after fills) but we must choose to eat better foods in the allotted amounts for it to work.....if we keep doing what we did in the past, we will not succeed.

i say this at 7 months ago i was 336 pounds.

your new life is about to begin.

imagine where you will be this time next year.

that is what i do when it gets hard.

In some respects we have to go through a grieving process as we change our relationship with food. Sounds like that is what you are going through at the moment.

But be 100% sure that you can change your eating habits or you will have serious challenges with the band.

Good luck.

I can totally relate. I ate at all my favorite places before my pre op diet. I follow diet to a T. The day before surgery and cut off eating time I panicked and went got a burger and cinnamon roll. I'm not proud of it nor do I recommend it. But it made me realize how crazy my relationship with food was getting. I am a successful at losing. Not keeping it off (until now) stay strong you can do this!! And we are all here every step of the way to support you

My Surgeon requires you to lose at least 5% of your weight to show you are committed to a life change. So he set a goal for me to lose 24lbs. My insurance required me to do a 6 month supervised diet on top of that. I managed to lose 38lbs during that time but I have to admit I probably screwed off about 6 weeks of that time and I did have a couple of "last suppers".

I have been banded now for 9 months and have lost an additional 106lbs. While I agree with the others above I do believe the band has made it possible for me to change my eating habits with ease. I am not saying the band is responsible but it sure does keep me accountable. I no longer have cravings or desire for the junk food that I used to live off of. I eat good foods first (Proteins and veggies) and it satisfies me to a point where I don't have room or want for junk.

Is that to say I've never had a slice of pizza? No, I have had a slice of pizza since being banded but compare that to a time when I could eat almost an entire large on my own at one meal is saying something.

I was on Vacation for 14 days over the holidays and I did not lose or gain a single pound. I ate what I wanted when I needed (that's where the band comes in) and that was without documenting my food intake or doing any real exercise. I actually had a few sweets over the holidays and I felt nauseous afterwards. It's just not worth it to me anymore....my life is not the same as it once was. Whether that is a state of mind or the band. I don't know but I sure do like it!!

I was down 4.5 pounds this morning now being back to work and back to logging and exercising.

Being banded does not mean restricting what you can eat. It means restricting the amount you can eat. If you restrict what you eat then you are doing nothing but dieting. Dieting....or failed dieting is what lead most us to surgical options.

(stepping down off my soapbox now)

I went threw my kitchen and dumped out everything I wasn't going to east for a while. Told my kids not Peanut Butter Mom cant be trusted. You cant eat what isn't there even the cooking food items. Set yourself up for . You will learn so much o]with this band and it is very exciting. Remember you will have two parts of your brain the one that wants to be healther , thinner and cutier,, and the other half that will tell you alittle of this or that wont hurt you this one time, or you know you cant do it give up now, you will learn to be strong a d say no and the bsnd so helps that but it is a learning period you can do it....clean out your house now and start your change right now.

I agree... you need to work on what causes you to eat and address those problems up front. It take a whole psychological change in our behavior and lifestyle to be successful. Do not expect the band to do all the work. It will not. Good luck to you.

Well aside from nerves, my doctor said its called " the last supper syndrome".

LOL. That's hilarious!

I agree... you need to work on what causes you to eat and address those problems up front. It take a whole psychological change in our behavior and lifestyle to be successful. Do not expect the band to do all the work. It will not. Good luck to you.

Actually, I did as well and it was one of the best educational prep classes I had for the Band life.. I took a six session program called Hungry Head: Overcoming Binge Eating. Program is designed to help you distinguish between head hunger and real hunger and develop skills to manage urges to over eat.