Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Michael Baptista & Memorial Hospital Jacksonville, Fl

Banded: August 2009 - I just want to refer anyone in Jacksonville Florida...If you are interested in getting the band and want to be successful... I would go to Dr. Michael Baptista. Not only is he caring and dedicated to YOUR success; his staff is just as great!

And I have to say the process of registering at Memorial hospital was painless... My nurses at recovery AMAZING! I wont lie; when they got me up to walk I wanted to punch them in the face! (apparently they have ALL kinds of patients & patience) But through my drugged awakening they were caring & understanding. They were not only there for me, but my nervous husband as he waited and asked often how I was! (FYI; I am not violent and never hit anyone)

I got a bit off track this past year and not at my goal weight yet. but I am back on the ball and in 1 week of doing what I KNOW that I need to do I am down 8lbs.

My weight the day of my surgery in 2009 was (UG!) 260lbs @ 5'4; ok 5'3 1/2 :D

Today I weigh 180 & I couldn't be more excited to get to my goal. I already feel good about myself!

This website is very helpful & encouraging.

Best of luck to all!

Julie

I couldn't agree more..Dr Baptista is awesome!!!

Hi Ladies! I am in the process of trying to use Dr. Baptista! I went to the seminar and he really did seem knowledgeable honest, and kind. I am self pay and just got approval for financing yesterday through my credit union and unfortunately it was not quite enough for Dr. Baptista's fee but his office is trying to work something out and I should hear from them today. I am praying they can make it work for me!

He said that he gives all of his patients his personal cell phone # and asks that they call anytime they feel the need to ask a question directly to him or have problems with his office. He said that if we ever feel the need to go to the ER do to an issue with the Lap Band to call him first no matter the hour etc. He said that he feels confident in doing that because his phone does not ring off the hook since he takes care of his patients and has few complications etc.

I am not even a patient yet and I have his cell # ... Maybe it would not mean much to some but for me that is a huge calming factor to me that I can talk directly to the doctor if I am fearful there is something wrong with me.

He said that he gives all of his patients his personal cell phone # and asks that they call anytime they feel the need to ask a question directly to him or have problems with his office. He said that if we ever feel the need to go to the ER do to an issue with the Lap Band to call him first no matter the hour etc. He said that he feels confident in doing that because his phone does not ring off the hook since he takes care of his patients and has few complications etc.

I am not even a patient yet and I have his cell # ... Maybe it would not mean much to some but for me that is a huge calming factor to me that I can talk directly to the doctor if I am fearful there is something wrong with me.

After my surgery I was having a lot of pain at my port site....It got so bad the pain meds would not even help it. I called Dr. B's personal cell phone number to talk to him for advise. It was way after office hours..and he actually met me and my wife at the office. He discovered I had a pinched nerve near the port site (which he said happened to like 1 in 300 people or something like that..real rare). Needless to say he got me taken care of....made sure there was nothing wrong with the band, wrote me a new script, and I had no problems ever since!! Wish my PCP was as nice as Dr. B.

Well as much as I really liked Dr. Baptista it looks like I will be traveling out of town for my surgery. I talked to his office this past Monday and they were supposed to call me back after checking on some things. The lady I spoke with said she would call Tuesday. Did not hear from them and Weds afternoon I called several times and could not reach a person so I left a detailed message. Nothing Thursday or Friday so I called again Friday and again could not reach anyone and just decided not to leave another message.

I absolutely believe he is a great surgeon but it is horrible to think that his office can't return a call after 1 week. More concerning that I can't seem to reach anyone other then an answering machine when I call. I know things slip through the cracks but that means that they had to keep looking over my paper work all week, forget to call me back when they initiated it and never return a call when I left a message.

I understand that maybe I am the only to experience this but to me it is a red flag.

I used Dr Uchal out of St Vincents. I love the group there! If you are looking for someone, I would definitely recommend him.

Hi I'm currently moving back to Jacksonville and I was wondering how I could get in touch with him in regards to the surgery. If anyone know where I could get some information to get started.

Hi, Dr. Baptista offers free weight loss surgery seminars at his office. The number is 904-724-2263. They are located on Baymeadows Road, by HWY 95. It is great way to learn about the procedure and get to know him. Good luck!

St Vincent's Hospital also has free seminars a couple times a month at both Riverside and Southside locations. I have been very happy with them. You can go to the hospital's website and see their schedule.

Well as much as I really liked Dr. Baptista it looks like I will be traveling out of town for my surgery. I talked to his office this past Monday and they were supposed to call me back after checking on some things. The lady I spoke with said she would call Tuesday. Did not hear from them and Weds afternoon I called several times and could not reach a person so I left a detailed message. Nothing Thursday or Friday so I called again Friday and again could not reach anyone and just decided not to leave another message.

I absolutely believe he is a great surgeon but it is horrible to think that his office can't return a call after 1 week. More concerning that I can't seem to reach anyone other then an answering machine when I call. I know things slip through the cracks but that means that they had to keep looking over my paper work all week, forget to call me back when they initiated it and never return a call when I left a message.

I understand that maybe I am the only to experience this but to me it is a red flag.

Sorry to hear you are having so much trouble getting a hold of someone at Dr. B's. Not sure if they are having staffing issues at the moment or not. I do know they work 1/2 days on Fridays. Do you have the direct number for Rosie? If you still can't get a hold of her I can shoot you her email address.

Sorry to hear you are having so much trouble getting a hold of someone at Dr. B's. Not sure if they are having staffing issues at the moment or not. I do know they work 1/2 days on Fridays. Do you have the direct number for Rosie? If you still can't get a hold of her I can shoot you her email address.

No, I did not have a direct number for her. Thank you so much for offering it though! I am actually scheduled for my surgery on March 29th with another surgeon now. I still stand behind that I think Dr. Baptista is a wonderful and surgeon : )

Dr. Baptista's office did end up calling me back the following Monday (full week) and they were very nice and apologized for not returning my call sooner. I don't think anything was intentional but I think anyone else would probably be concerned if they could not reach the office when they called and then had to count on them returning a message...(after my experience anyways).

I did however find a surgeon that has an office staff where the same coordinator answers the phone every time I call and if she does not answer then it goes through to the doctor's cell phone. I have direct access to the Dr.'s cell number also. I just know I am going to want to know that I can always reach someone in the office (in a reasonable) time for when I have questions or concerns.

Who did you decide to go with? I see Dr Uchal at St Vincents and love him.

Hi, I've been a patient of Dr. Baptista for over three years and have never had problems getting a hold of him or someone at the office. Rosie has always returned my calls whenever I needed. I owe my new life to them. I wouldnt change anything about my decision of having surgery with Dr. Baptista. I hope everything goes well with your surgery.

Who did you decide to go with? I see Dr Uchal at St Vincents and love him.

I ended up going with a doctor out of town. I traveled to Boca Raton, FL and had my surgery performed by Dr. Kahlil Shillingford. He was wonderful and his office staff is amazing! I can call Dr. Shillingford's cell at anytime also and EVERY TIME I have ever called his office the same person (Nancy) answers. She coordinates everything and will talk with you for as long as you need her. She goes out of her way to help and educate you in any way she can. I ended up choosing the sleeve over the band and I am SOOOooo completely happy. I am only 5 days post op and I can already eat and drink with no problems. I have had no problems with getting stuck or throwing up etc. I feel so normal that it is crazy. The greatest and wierdest thing is how I have yet to experience hunger at all even after 4 days of only liquid (no Protein shakes) and even crazier is that all of my food cravings no longer exist. I read that a lot of people report that once they have the surgery they no longer crave sweets and foods they loved the way they used to but I never thought that would actually happen to me. I am sooo shocked that cutting that hunger hormone out of your stomach could so such an amazing thing. I am just excited to continue on my journey and see where things go from here.

Dr. Baptista is still a wonderful doctor for sure!