Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I took a Zumba class last night.....

My church has a ministry called FaithFit. 18 months ago and 80 extra pounds ago, I attended the Step Aerobics class and truly felt like I was going to die. I could not do it for more than 15 minutes and seriously was afraid that I was going to have a heart attack. I attended just a couple of times before I knew it was not for me. Now that I am 80 lbs less, I thought I would join the Zumba class that was starting up for 12 weeks. Everyone said it would be fun and not to worry about looking ridiculous. Okee dokee. So....last night I went. It was NOT fun and I did look ridiculous! However, I see the potential for being fun and I will go back. The biggest achievement for me was that I moved for a solid hour. Not sure what I was doing but I was sweating and MOVING and I did it for a whole hour! I didn't feel like I needed to stop and catch my breath. Don't get me wrong, I wanted to stop a couple of times but I didn't.

Here is the one thing that really got to me. I was still the biggest girl in the room. I know it doesn't really matter but it is habit for me to look around the room to see if I am the biggest and I was. Ugh. I had all of these negative thoughts starting with "what's the use?". I felt an overwhelming urge to run out of the room because I thought I was going to burst into tears. I am better today and I know I just need to keep going. I will get there. For me, I am a true believer in the voice of truth (God) and not the deceiver (Satan). It was just a temporary thing that I let get to me. I have worked too hard to let one out of control thought get in my way of achieving my goals.

Thanks for letting me share.

It's awesome that you are trying something new. Comparing ourselves to others is a hard habit to break. The important thing is that you are exercising and I promise Zumba does get easier. I take a class at my local gym and it took a while to get the hang of...but in no time you'll be looking like a pro. And this is coming from someone with absolutely NO rythm!

Good for you........I went to one zumba class and I was flailing around like a fish out of Water. I have no coordination when it comes to moving hands and legs at the same time and those poor people around me who were zigging when I was zagging. The zumba classes at my gym are packed all the time......... I go to the gym, but stick with barbells, bootcamp and spin.......

Good for you.

I did Zumba classes twice a week for 3 months and i liked it. And IT DOES get easier. Actually by the 3rd or 4th time I went, it was easier to catch my breath and could go on for 1 full hour. I also was the biggest in the class! And after a while, you will remember the choreographies.... and everybody looks kinda lost in the first couple of classes, its absolutely normal. But the intention is to move and sweat and that I did !! :-)

I think that is great, Mrs. CMK. Just moving for that amount of time is a milestone in your journey. I am a spaz and trip walking over lint on the living room floor so Zumba isn't for me at the moment. I try walking 5 days a week and people keep asking how many miles I walk. I honestly don't know and don't care cause I know that I am not as fast as I was 10 years ago. So when they ask me, I tell them it doesn't matter how far I walked but that I did it for a whole 60 minutes without stopping!

My church has a ministry called FaithFit. 18 months ago and 80 extra pounds ago, I attended the Step Aerobics class and truly felt like I was going to die. I could not do it for more than 15 minutes and seriously was afraid that I was going to have a heart attack. I attended just a couple of times before I knew it was not for me. Now that I am 80 lbs less, I thought I would join the Zumba class that was starting up for 12 weeks. Everyone said it would be fun and not to worry about looking ridiculous. Okee dokee. So....last night I went. It was NOT fun and I did look ridiculous! However, I see the potential for being fun and I will go back. The biggest achievement for me was that I moved for a solid hour. Not sure what I was doing but I was sweating and MOVING and I did it for a whole hour! I didn't feel like I needed to stop and catch my breath. Don't get me wrong, I wanted to stop a couple of times but I didn't.

Here is the one thing that really got to me. I was still the biggest girl in the room. I know it doesn't really matter but it is habit for me to look around the room to see if I am the biggest and I was. Ugh. I had all of these negative thoughts starting with "what's the use?". I felt an overwhelming urge to run out of the room because I thought I was going to burst into tears. I am better today and I know I just need to keep going. I will get there. For me, I am a true believer in the voice of truth (God) and not the deceiver (Satan). It was just a temporary thing that I let get to me. I have worked too hard to let one out of control thought get in my way of achieving my goals.

Thanks for letting me share.

Mrs. CMK I just wanted to encourage you... :) Sounds like your spirits are lifted today...I know exactly how you feel...I have done zumba over the past two years or so and have the same horrible habit of "surveying" the other attendees and not wanting to be the "entertainment" for everyone cause afterall, I can't move like them, etc. I want to encourage you to keep your head held high and don't let the lies of the deceiver creep in and win! You are SUCH an inspiration and encouragement to the other ladies in that class, and other people outside of the class just by being there and doing your best! Keep up the hard work, you are inspiring others to do their best and not quit. Don't underestimate the power of the Father to shine His light SO brightly through even our greatest weaknesses!! (especially through our weakness and our tough times!) You've come so far! over 80 lbs thats amazing!!! You are loved just as you are, right where you are; you are a princess of the Most High King! Keep shining!! :-)

I started to run. First it was 5Ks, 10Ks and finally Half Marathons. I don't compare my times or pace to people of my same age or gender, what motivates me is that NO ONE Heavier than me is Faster than Me. I'll never be a Kenyan at 250 and 6'5" and when I see pictures of me running, I can't believe how unphotogenic I am. LOL.

I've been wanting to try Zumba!!! However, I don't wanna look like a goof out there all confused and disoriented!! Lol SO last night when I was wondering around Walmart I noticed they have Zumba for the wii!!! Yay so now my other fluffy friend and I can rock out in my livingroom and lovingly laugh at each other to start out, and high five each other as we melt away together!!!

Oh my goodness. I am sitting at my work desk both crying and laughing at all of your replies. Thank you so much for your encouragement. Such a huge help to have all of you!

Enjoy your day!

I am trying to do zumba at home for now. The "warmup" had me sore the next day. I honestly don't have a goal or target. I just know that I have to move because I have become stiff and it is sometimes as hard for me as it was before I lost weight. No only do I not want the be the big chick, I don't want to look foolish and I know I do, I don't want some 20 lb. 9 year old taking me through the workouts. Self image is so important. Done for now,

Look at it like this your in there trying to do something about it which is awesome and I'm sure no one was thinking look shes the biggest they were probably thinking good job at least shes trying. :) you should keep going to zumba I LOVE it and I have lost a lot of weight doing zumba. Good job on trying keep up the good work and someday soon you won't be the biggest.