Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will I Ever Hit the Green Zone

I still lack 1cc remaining to be added back in to my band that was taken out for my gallbladder surgery a month ago but prior to that when he took 2cc's out total, I actually felt like I was too tight, I was always getting stuck on food. Will I ever get to a green zone and how do you know and what does it feel like when you get there? I go in on the 24th for another fill, hoping for maybe .5cc, need it as my appetite is well, I'm hungry all of the time, well not all of the time, I stay full about 3 to 4 hrs but that sometimes results me eating 4 meals in a days time and I'm only supposed to have 3. I can't make it balance out. I get hungry at night. And question-I know we are suppose to eat a cup of food, litterally cut up our food and fill a 8 oz cup? I'm still learning 6 and half months out don't get me wrong, its almost like I'm eating more than a cup. No I'm not measuring, just guessing. I guess I need to buy a scale off of Amazon to weigh my food as I don't know how much Protein I'm supposed to have, no one has told me and my nuturitionist well, don't go there. I need some serious help and suggestions I guess.

Without a scale, I think Protein is supposed to be a little less than the size of your palm, and no thicker than a deck of cards. Of course a scale is more accurate but until you get one.

i dont have fills and i am not waiting until i get to that green zone to lose weight..so i am eating now as if i am at full green zone ...def eating only my allotted amount (1 cup of food). and eating Proteins first, veggies and fruit..i feel its a mind over matter for me at this point.....measuring and weighing is important..do it and see if it helps..my dr advised me 70+protein per day...but every dr is different...if you dont know what you should eat, maybe an appt with your dr or nutritionist would help you

Green zone may or may not be in your future, but then many lose without ever feeling it.

I'm suppose to hit 60gr per day and between 1000-1200cal

I got a cheap scale at Bed Bath &Beyond for

$12, works fine.

The size of a deck of cards is what I go by when I'm out.

BTW not in green zone. 3cc in band and possible port revision in future.

Donna, I have the same questions. I go in tomorrow to see aftercare and hoping for .5 cc. My worst hunger time is about 6:00 pm at night. We eat late, which I don't like, but that's the way it is. We usually have lunch around 2:00. We eat out almost every night, which makes measuring difficult. I've started asking for a bread and butter plate and move my portions from the large plate to the bread and butter plate so I can really see what I'm eating. I wish there was a mini scale you could take with you that wasn't so conspicuous.

I see my Doc tomarrow.....and I dont need a fill

So much is mind over matter....

I use to snack alot at night...my relax time....

well no more...now if I feel I wanna sit and "relax" I jog in place....

Im getting about 800 cals a day and 60 Protein...

this is my schedule: I eat Breakfast at 10 to 10:30, lunch around 2:30ish and dinner around 6:30 to 7:00 and by 11:00 pm I'm hungry again, my stomach is growling to the point I can't fall asleep. I do not go to bed till 1:00 am most times because of severe insomnia which I take meds for thus the reason for sleeping late. Dang, I just came from a Bed Bath and Beyond today and I could have ran in there to purchase a food scale. This store is 30 mins away from me, not sure if I'll make it back there this week, if not I'll order one off Amazon. Thanks everyone for your input, its greatly appreciated. CG I do eat my small meals 3x a day and always have since being banded even when he took 2cc's out last month for my gallbladder surgery I still ate the same amount and managed to lose 5 lbs but over Christmas I overindulged on party mix and pumpkin pie, not much but enough to gain a pound a half but thankfully today I weighed and have lost 3 lbs. CG you are lucky you have no fill and can still feel satiated, yes it is mind over matter but sheesh I get hungry girl! Whereas before surgery I would eat just to be eating, isn't that awful? Again, thank you all for your suggestions.

Donna

One important detail to point out: IT is NOT ACCURATE to WEIGH your portions. You have a stomach pouch to fill, and you need to measure your PORTIONS BY VOLUME!!

I guess surgeons vary their instructions, however it makes no sense to weigh portions. I was instructed to use a measuring cup; 4oz Protein (by volume) =1/2 cup.

IMHO...others mileage may vary...

One important detail to point out: IT is NOT ACCURATE to WEIGH your portions. You have a stomach pouch to fill, and you need to measure your PORTIONS BY VOLUME!!

I guess surgeons vary their instructions, however it makes no sense to weigh portions. I was instructed to use a measuring cup; 4oz Protein (by volume) =1/2 cup.

IMHO...others mileage may vary...

I've been kind of left out here to pasture, I asked the dr how many grams of Protein and he told me to eat my normal food but only a cup at a time and eat protein first, no set amount as in grams, weird, I know. As far as my nutritionist, well, she is fairly new to his practice and has never worked with bariatric patients before and says one thing and he says another so there again, I'm on my own here. For instance if I go to Cracker Barrel I will order off of the kids menu and get grilled chicken tenders (3) they are small and one veggie, I usually can eat all the chicken but not all the veggie. I live in a small town of 45,000 and not much to choose from as restaurants but when me and my mom go out we share a meal. Take for example O'Charley's, we share Cedar Plank Tilapia grilled, she will get a baked potato and I will eat about 2 bites of that and she will get a salad and I will eat about 3 bites of that and half of the fish or on some occassions we order salmon grilled and share that. At home I will cook a chicken breast, baked with lemon pepper and eat that with a spoon of veggies but will fill up on chicken first. Maybe I'm doing this all wrong???

YOu may want to consider 4 small meals so you aren't hungry at night. That's what I usually do, although my day starts much earlier! 4 meals of 200-250 calories with more Protein than anything. Sometimes one of the "meals" is a Protein Shake so I make sure I get it all in. I was banded August 24 and I'm down 40 pounds. It is slow steady progress. Oh, and get in your Water. Drink it at least a half hour before you eat or not for an hour after. It really makes a difference and can make you feel full for a while too.

I've been kind of left out here to pasture, I asked the dr how many grams of Protein and he told me to eat my normal food but only a cup at a time and eat Protein first, no set amount as in grams, weird, I know. As far as my nutritionist, well, she is fairly new to his practice and has never worked with bariatric patients before and says one thing and he says another so there again, I'm on my own here. For instance if I go to Cracker Barrel I will order off of the kids menu and get grilled chicken tenders (3) they are small and one veggie, I usually can eat all the chicken but not all the veggie. I live in a small town of 45,000 and not much to choose from as restaurants but when me and my mom go out we share a meal. Take for example O'Charley's, we share Cedar Plank Tilapia grilled, she will get a baked potato and I will eat about 2 bites of that and she will get a salad and I will eat about 3 bites of that and half of the fish or on some occassions we order salmon grilled and share that. At home I will cook a chicken breast, baked with lemon pepper and eat that with a spoon of veggies but will fill up on chicken first. Maybe I'm doing this all wrong???

Donna, I hope your surgeon provided you with some specific instructions about what size portions you are supposed to have. My surgeon advises 3oz lean Protein and 2 oz of a Fiber carb choice for every meal. Those amounts are measured in a measuring cup and established by volume, not weight.

And BTW, not every Bandster will reach the "green zone", as per what my surgeon told me. Hunger may always be an issue for a Bandster. So, we still have to accept the responsibility for diet compliance if we want to be successful with weight loss. This is as much a "head game" as anything, as we need to learn the difference between "head hunger" and authentic hunger.