Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you or the doc know why and how this happened? It's one of the many fears many of us have?

tmf

Your surgeon and/or nutritionist are the best people to advise you about your diet progression at this point. Until you get clarification from them, I would follow whatever your post-fill protocol is, such as 24 hours of liquids, 24 hours of purees, 24 hours of soft foods (foods you can cut with the side of a fork), then carefully transition back to solid foods.

Thank you for responding I did do the post fill protocal Liguids purees and soft foods. back to really watching my Protein and measuring my food intake along with a food diary. I am glad I found this site and am looking forward to seeing your blog. I don't feel so alone! I needed to clarify that I didn't have the "prolapes" just the dialation of my esophogus. I blaim myself for not watching the signs and eating wrong. the band was too tight I have an appointment on 21 Feb to see where I am at . Although the Doctor said I may see a slight weight gain, stay away from or watch the carbs and not go crazy! I had to get my head wrapped around that! My biggest fear is having the band removed but now that I know what I need to do I will be okay! I haven't gotten sick since some of the Fluid was removed and I still feel a slight restriction which is good. I have lost to date 75 pounds and since the defill have gained 3 pounds. anyway thank you again!

Elce

Thank you for responding I did do the post fill protocal Liguids purees and soft foods. back to really watching my Protein and measuring my food intake along with a food diary. I am glad I found this site and am looking forward to seeing your blog. I don't feel so alone! I needed to clarify that I didn't have the "prolapes" just the dialation of my esophogus. I blaim myself for not watching the signs and eating wrong. the band was too tight I have an appointment on 21 Feb to see where I am at . Although the Doctor said I may see a slight weight gain, stay away from or watch the carbs and not go crazy! I had to get my head wrapped around that! My biggest fear is having the band removed but now that I know what I need to do I will be okay! I haven't gotten sick since some of the Fluid was removed and I still feel a slight restriction which is good. I have lost to date 75 pounds and since the defill have gained 3 pounds. anyway thank you again!

Elce

Elce

Well, one good thing about an unfill (or the least bad thing) is that it makes you appreciate how much your band was doing for you before the unfill.

What were your symptoms cause some days I can eat just fine and others forget it doc tells me it's fine????

You weren't asking me, but I'll answer anyway...Variable restriction is extremely common, and can be one of the most frustrating things about the band. It's not necessarily due to a complication like a band slip or esophageal or stomach dilation. Your stomach is living tissue that expands and contracts to help you digest food and is affected by a variety of ordinary things like the time of day, time of month, stress, hydration, medications, illness (for me, seasonal allergies always played havoc with my band). But...if the variations in your restriction are so extreme that it interferes with your daily living, I would suggest that you bring it up to your surgeon again.

I was originally banded on Sept 16,. 2011. 'i have surpassed my goal weight and lost 89 lbs. During this time i have had no problems and had reached my maximum fill. In January of this year I got racked by a vomiting spasm that lasted 14 hrs. It started 4 hours after I had eaten. The doctor took all of the liquid out of my band and I then was admitted to the emergency room and eventually found that my band had slipped. The doctor has repaired it and also had to do a hernia repair at the same time. I went back to the beginning diet and am still on soft foods. My problem is that my stomach still hurts. If I eat something and am not active it is okay. but if I try any activity or don't eat. my stomach hurts. The catch 22 is my stomach hurts and I don't want to eat but if i do eat something it feels better. Has anyone had this problem since their slip repair? I am still losing weight but I imagine that is because i'm eating around 800 calories a day.

I was banded April 2008 & I've been haveing alot of reflux at night & throwing up at meals. I had an endoscopic & uper GI done today & my Dr. told my wife I had prolapsed & esophogus inflamed while I was still under & to call & make an appointment next week to disguss our options. If the band has to come out I'm thinking strongly about the sleeve.

I had an endoscopy 2 days ago & my Dr. told my wife while I was still out I've prolapsed & my esophogus is irretaded & that he sent off a biopsy. I have an appointment on Monday with him to disguss my options. If the band has to come out I'm thinking strongly about having the sleeve done if I can.

I had an endoscopy 2 days ago & my Dr. told my wife while I was still out I've prolapsed & my esophogus is irretaded & that he sent off a biopsy. I have an appointment on Monday with him to disguss my options. If the band has to come out I'm thinking strongly about having the sleeve done if I can.

Just keep In mind reflux is a fairly common side effect from the sleeve. My reflux with the band was so freaking bad I wasn't willing to risk it worsening, that stuff is MISERABLE!!!! (Good luck)

Just keep In mind reflux is a fairly common side effect from the sleeve. My reflux with the band was so freaking bad I wasn't willing to risk it worsening, that stuff is MISERABLE!!!! (Good luck)

Those I know that revised from band to sleeve had reflux in the form of heartburn for 3-6 months and were able to gradually wean themselves off PPIs.

Despite following the rules 99% of the time, my band slipped and flipped two directions, dragging my stomach up and through in twisty way that caused some pretty severe damage, including esophageal dilation that is still there a bit more than 6 months after having my band removed.

If you are struggling with either of these issues, I strongly urge you to address them sooner than later. I really thought that removing the band would equal issues also being removed. I initially got the band because I liked the idea that it was not permanent, but it turns out the damage can be permanent if left untreated long enough.

Whether you fix your band, go WLS-free, or opt for another WLS, I wish you the best of luck!

Band slip (Table 1) may be defined as cephalad prolapse of the body of the stomach or caudal movement of the band. O’Brien and Dixon11 reported a band slip rate of less than 5%. Interestingly, they reported 125 episodes of band slip (25%) in their first 500 patients using the perigastric approach (accessing the right crus perigastrically) and only 28 episodes (4.8%) in the last 600 patients after adoption of the pars flaccida technique (accessing the right crus through the pars flaccida). Other published literature report an incidence of slip of 1%–22%.1015

Since the cross-sectional area of the stomach is larger at the body than at the level of the angle of His (normal band position), complete obstruction of the stomach can occur when the band slips. Band slip can be posterior or anterior, depending on whether the anterior or posterior region of the stomach herniates through the band.

Anterior slip (type-I prolapse)

Anterior slip results from upward migration of the anterior wall of the stomach through the band. This can be due to insufficient anterior fixation and disruption of the fixation sutures. The second cause may be related to increased pressure in the pouch due to early solid food, vomiting, overeating or early (< 4 wk) band fill (Fig. 3).

Posterior slip is defined as a herniation of the posterior wall of the stomach through the band. This is usually related to the surgical technique but is less frequent now with adoption of the pars flaccida approach instead of the perigastric approach (Fig. 4).

In both types of slip, the patient usually presents with dysphagia, vomiting, regurgitation and food intolerance. The diagnosis is made by upper gastrointestinal series. Complications related to band slip include gastric perforation, necrosis of the slipped stomach (type-V prolapse), upper gastrointestinal bleeding and aspiration pneumonia.

A type-IV prolapse is defined as an immediate postoperative prolapse and is usually due to placing the band too low on the stomach.

Band slip types (I, II, IV and V) are acute and always require surgical intervention. Laparoscopic removal or repositioning of the band is the preferred method of treatment. Pouch enlargement is a chronic complication that should be managed nonoperatively in the first instance, and surgical readjustment is reserved only for those patients in whom conservative treatment fails.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3038361/

I had a slipped band and a prolapse myself. It was pretty awful -- reflux every night. It hurt to eat or drink anything but ice cream (cold so it numbed me- not sharp, like yogurt). Even drinking Water hurt.

They tried removing all the fill and that did not work. I had lots of barium swallows. Finally, I had revision surgery. That was a year and a half ago and I have been afraid to get another fill.

That's why I am here now -- as a step toward getting the courage to try again.

I need to see if I can get the band to work for me without another prolapse -- otherwise, I need to consider other surgery.

I am working toward weight loss after prolapse -- I have gained what I lost back.

Mocca

You weren't asking me' date=' but I'll answer anyway...Variable restriction is extremely common, and can be one of the most frustrating things about the band. It's not necessarily due to a complication like a band slip or esophageal or stomach dilation. Your stomach is living tissue that expands and contracts to help you digest food and is affected by a variety of ordinary things like the time of day, time of month, stress, hydration, medications, illness (for me, seasonal allergies always played havoc with my band). But...if the variations in your restriction are so extreme that it interferes with your daily living, I would suggest that you bring it up to your surgeon again.[/quote']

Seasonal allergies are killing me. I was finally in my green zone too. Now I'm suffering but trying to ride it out!