Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Subtle, but telling, NSV

I just got home from my annual physical, clutching a month's worth of anti-hypertension meds my doctor wants me to try. Yup, I still have the borderline high blood pressure I have had all my life. Even the lost weight and increased activity hasn't changed that.

So where's the NSV, you ask? The NSV is in my mind. All my life I've dreaded the blood-pressure discussion, because it was ALWAYS about my weight. So now, I know, it's NOT actually about my weight. The discussion today with my doctor was about my HEALTH, not about my WEIGHT. I left her office feeling supported and cared for, not attacked and accused. (Not that this doctor had ever done that--she's a wonderful doctor--but I've only been seeing her since a year before banding.)

It's a whole new world...medical care the way "normal" people see it. Wow.

Alexandra~

Congrats on the good attitude you have about your BP....Keep up the good work and maybe it'll go lower with less or no meds!

What is an NSV?????? I am new to this.

God Bless,

Melody

Banded 3/20/06 -29lbs

NSV means "non-scale victory" -- the triumphs we experience that have nothing to do with the specific number on the scale.

Welcome, btw, and congratulations on your banding!!

Congrats and good for you, isn't it nice not to have to discuss the obvious, obesity when it's there, and have a healthy conversation with a doctor who isn't try to scare you into a healthier lifestyle?

Kudos to you for having accomplishment this marvelous achievement and for giving the rest of us something else to look forward to. You truly are an inspiration, always have been, and I thank you for that.

It's funny you mention the weight being the issue regarding HBP, and as you have discovered, sometimes weight is not the sole cause, although, admitidly it does aggravate the condition, it is not always the cause. I work with a 25 year-old 90 lb soak weight girl who has had HBP her whole life and yet she has this amazing metabolism and is extremely thin, she has trouble putting weight on.

But I digress, the real important message here is you and your wonderful good news!!! Thanks for sharing as always!!

Cindy

Actually, I think this might be the best NSV I've read here on LBT. I don't think this NSV is in your mind at all. Seriously, what an accomplishment to be able to discuss your health regarding a specific issue or symptom, without the information being diluted or modified by having been filtered through that familiar pre-existiong condition, obesity.

An excellent NSV and step in the right direction regarding you HBP. Congrats!

That is a wonderful NSV! the best kind are the ones where you can hold your head up high and know that your weight was NOT an issue!! Thats awesome!

Wow, that's awesome news, Alex! Well, lol, ok, not the HBP, but the fact that now they'll really look at why & quit looking at your weight as a factor. I can't imagine not feeling guilty when I'm walking into a doctor's office! Congrats! :D

It's so sad that MANY MD's unfairly judge obese patients and predetermine that ANY health complaint is a direct result of their weight. Earlier this year, I went to the hospital complaining of chest pain and shortness of breath. The cardiologist came in and wanted to know what statin (cholesterol lowering drug) I took. I replied I did not take any and he immediatley left and returned with my blood results stating, "Wow, you have a perfect lipid (Cholesterol, HDL, LDL, etc) profile."

As an RN, I am embarrassed by how health care professionals falsely judge obese patients and am very glad to hear of your NSV and that you found a caring and non-judgmental MD.

It's so sad that MANY MD's unfairly judge obese patients and predetermine that ANY health complaint is a direct result of their weight. Earlier this year, I went to the hospital complaining of chest pain and shortness of breath. The cardiologist came in and wanted to know what statin (cholesterol lowering drug) I took. I replied I did not take any and he immediatley left and returned with my blood results stating, "Wow, you have a perfect lipid (Cholesterol, HDL, LDL, etc) profile."

As an RN, I am embarrassed by how health care professionals falsely judge obese patients and am very glad to hear of your NSV and that you found a caring and non-judgmental MD.

In my past doctors' defense, I too assumed my high blood pressure was weight-related. I fended off countless attempts to put me on medication by saying "I'm on a diet, I'm avoiding salt, let's check again in a year" and then going through the same thing with the next doctor. That's why I say the change is in ME, because now I realize that I could have health issues that are actually unrelated to my weight.

Also, I wanted to add that my caring and non-judgmental MD is actually a DO (doctor of osteopathy). I didn't even realize that until a year or so after I was seeing her, and I thought something was a little different about her approach. Turns out I was right! I'm never going back to an MD again.