Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello!

I've lurked here for over a year, joined recently and have decided to post!

I am approved and cleared for surgery, have secured my money and all the doctor is waiting on is me. I've been toying with this for about 6 years now and only recently did it become a reality where I could afford it. Up until this point, I couldn't and my insurance won't cover. My question I guess is this.. now that it can happen why am I dragging my feet? I can't pinpoint why I am so scared to just go do it.

I'm your average on paper healthy (if you didnt look at my weight) 43yr old who just happens to be 100lbs overweight. I see what obesity has done to my 6 siblings who are older and I don't want the same things to happen to me! I think I just need reassurance from people who understand.

First, welcome.

Second, you are dragging your feel and scared because this is a life changing decision you are about to make.

It was the best decision I have made and I just regret not making it sooner. My band has been a wonderful tool that has helped me loose 75 pounds in ten months. I now eat healthier than I ever have, I don't drink soda, don't go to fast food restaurants, don't eat a lot of sugar or white carbs. I have completely changed my lifestyle and I love it.

If you have been 'lurking' for a year then you have read the success stories as well as the troubles/failed stories so I don't need to recommend that. lol.

Good luck on your journey to a new health life.

first off welcome . I must admit the normal person would not understand why we would do this. They see it as an Extreme thing to do after all your having surgery. If i had listened to those who did not believe i could could I would never be living the life i live now. Being scared is normal after all you need to be willing to do what it takes to make it work. The best part of a lap band is it all you. Yes it helps you but you can still be you it not the magic bullet people think it is . I had some bumps along the way but you take the good with the bad. I never regret any of it. For once in my life i am the picture of heath I do things i only dream of.

Welcome.

Sounds like your on the path to making your decision, just a question of when. Your finances are sorted, doc has agreed.

Guess my question is are you ready? Do you have the support around you for that first week? Are you and those loved ones around you willing to make the ongoing lifestyle changes? All up I only needed my family to help for the first week in terms of getting to and from hospital and just having someone around to give me a hand. After that its all me to have the willpower and discipline to say no to bad or excess food.

Are you concerned about the surgery itself? Can your doctor give you some clear statistics on the risks of complications?

Do you have any other friends or relatives to ask how they adapted? I was fortunate to have 2 friends that also had the surgery, talking to them helped a lot and helped me decide to go for it. If you don't, there are plenty of people on here who can share their experiences.

Perhaps the new year will help you seek the change your after. I found changing jobs was the push I needed to say goodbye to old me, and work towards healthier new me.

Best of luck, let us know how your getting on.

Welcome, welcome, welcome! Congratulations on taking control of your life and your health.

I had gone through the pre-op proceedures and was ready for surgery and my husband lost his job. I had to wait an additional year. Like you I thought I was soooo ready. A couple of days before surgery I started getting apprehensive.

Its normal to be nervous. Its a huge step and you will have alot of changes, but they will be good changes. I think I was afraid of failure and people being judgemental if I wasn't successful. You know the consequences if you don't lose the weight and you know you haven't been able to do it on your own. This could potentially save your life. Do it for you, because you deserve it!

You can do this!

Nice to have you out in the open with us, welcome!

Having the surgery does make most of us nervous and scared. It is a whole new life and change is hard.

Glad you have spent so much time here learning about the band and how it works and doesn't work. So many go into this and really do not have a clue, which is sad b/c it sets them up to fail. After a year, I would think you know this as well as a banded person.

Every day I wake up happy I made this decision. I too wish I could have done it sooner. But better late than never.

Best Wishes on your decision!

Stick around!