Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2nd Day Post-Op and Needing Advise

Hey Everyone,

I am 2 days post op. I feel great except for the gas pains in my chest. Of course, my port site is sore also. I had a rough night of sleep. My heating pad probably kept it from getting any worse. I chewed a gas-x, but don't think that made any difference. Any suggestions. Thanks, everyone.

Lynn

Lynn,

I know how you feel. I'm five days post-op and the gas pain is just now beginning to subside a bit. All I've been able to do is walk, walk, walk, chew gas-x (I've gone through a pack and a half), walk a bit more, use the heating pad, walk some more, and complain to anyone who would listen.

I had to see my dermatologist a couple of days after surgery and even he said the gas pain could last up to two weeks. Gee, thanks.

Audra

You must WALK. Its the best thing for you right now. Hours after surgery I walked 22 laps around the ward. Of course it was very slow & I did rest for a 1/2 hour in between every 7 laps. But walking will move the gas up & out. Its really your best bet.

Congrats on your surgery & you will be feeling better in no time. Rest in between walking & drink & sip all day long.

P.S. My gas pains subsided after the 14th day. The worse was the left shoulder pain. But you will get throught it:0) Chin up your on your way!!!

Hi! My experience was the 2nd & 3rd days were the hardest, the only thing that helped with the pain was the liquid tylenol w/codiene I was able to take every 4-6 hours. By the morning of the 4th day I started to wean myself off and as the swelling went down I felt much better.

I slept in my recliner for the 1st two weeks, it was very comfortable. I highly recommend it.

I used the heating pad on my shoulder where the gas pain was.. seemed to help quite a bit, so if you're using it around your abdomen, move it to your sore shoulder to see if it helps. Keep taking the chewable gas-x, and although sad (but true) walking will help!

Remember to REST as much as possible, call your Dr's office if it gets worse. Make sure your having some warm broth every 3-4 hours, and with a little bit more time you'll begin to feel better.

All the best,

I am nine days post-op and know how you're feeling. Drink tons of Water, walk as much as you can, and bend over as if you're picking something up whenever you can... this moves the gas out. Finally, get off the codeine ASAP... it causes Constipation and can make gas pains worse. I hope you feel better soon.

Hey Audra,

How are you feeling today? I just got back home today. Feel pretty good. Thank God the gas pains are subsiding. Kim's mom gave me the Gas X strips. They worked the BEST! They begin working immediately.

Glad to hear your feeling better. I'm doing great! My belly is a rainbow of colors but the incisions are doing fine. My steri strips all came off this morning (with a little bit of help :kiss ). Two had already come off on their own.

I also got moved to mushies today and get to go back to work tomorrow. Hmmmmm, I guess that means I have to go to bed at a decent hour tonight? :notagree

Audra

Hey Audra,

You should see my stomach. I joked that I'm going to wear a half shirt and show off my "knife wounds". I feel like a gang member!!!

Hey Everyone,

I am 2 days post op. I feel great except for the gas pains in my chest. Of course, my port site is sore also. I had a rough night of sleep. My heating pad probably kept it from getting any worse. I chewed a gas-x, but don't think that made any difference. Any suggestions. Thanks, everyone.

Lynn

I've heard some say Milk of Magnesia helps a lot. Just found this thread so I hope your feeling much better by now.

Roberta

Hey Roberta,

I'm 4 days out now and things are starting to settle down a bit. It almost seems too good to be true when I read other people's stories. The chest pains have diminished considerably. They still come and go occasionally, but not nearly as bad as before. Should they arise again, I may try to M of M. Thanks for the tip!

Lynn

Does the laughing hurt or help??? Girl, you made me laugh today!

If all else fails to give you gas relief, try glycerine suppositories. They saved my life! Just kidding. But they did make the gas go away. Good luck everyone!!

I remember first days were hard with gas pains, but don't worry, they will go away and soon you won't think of it anymore!

a few hours after my surgery, nurses kept telling me (and others) to walk up and down the ward and not to stay in bed, so keep moving (don't force yourself, just keep going on a calm slow pace) and drink a lot (small sips each time)

remember: the band is your friend, it's there to help you, not to harm you. From now on, you have a 50/50 partnership with it.

Keep it up!

niki