Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Doc Thinks I'm Nuts

Of course you're nuts, aren't all of us????? What's that got to do with what you are experiencing???? Not to beat a dead horse to death :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: but, how many times have we read about this same exact thing happening to most of us??? Tell your doc he needs to start visiting the boards of the people he takes care of, perhaps then he can figure out that it's not, I repeat, not, a mental issue, other than the fact that it drives those of us who experience it crazy.

Alexandra describes it the most scientifically, perhaps you should send your doc a copy of her reply, you know, educate the poor man.

One thing for sure is, not eating as much earlier in the day, certainly does make us hungrier at night, duh, even if we aren't banded.

Try to eat a higher Fiber late afternoon snack, that can at least help you feel fuller when it is din din time.

Cindy

I know we've had this conversation several times.

Some people have who were not hungry in the mornings, too tight, etc., yet wide open at night tried an experenment where they made sure they were eating Breakfast, lunch and afternoon snack reported that they were less hungry and less "wide open" at night than they were if they basically only ate dinner.

Several bandsters took experimented with that and discovered that they had more evenly restricted throughout the day.

And I have no doubt that blood sugar levels have something to do with this as well

How many band patients does he have? Sounds like he doesn't know much about being banded.

I know the practice has alot of experience with gastric but I'm coming to realize that they are relatively new with the band (maybe 2 years). They are great surgeons but lack BIG TIME knowledge about what happens after the band is in place. I suspect no one has ever brought this issue up to them because most likely they don't have the knowledge and support that we get here..... basically the just don't know.

There was this woman sitting in the waiting room while I was drinking my Water that was banded one week ago. She asked me if I thought the doctor would give her a fill that day b/c she was so hungry. So you see.... people just don't have the knowledge about their bands either.

They say WE should go to support groups hmmmmmmmmmmm.

I think we should all challenge our doctors with off the wall questions (off the wall to them that is).

I am exactly the same, I know its not mental because there are things I can eat at night that I normally cant eat at other times...so that proves to me I am more open at night.

Even with all that said I still think your mental tho haha :) just kiddin

That is me to a t...the only thing that truly helps me is not eating past 7p...I can usually get breakfast down by 8:30...provided i have had one cup of coffee prior. :-) Yes you are nuts Chick...but not about your band. :-) hugggs!

I don't think you're nuts. I experience more hunger in the evening, but what I have found over the past couple of weeks is that, I only experience that type of hunger if I eat carbs during the day. If I stick to Protein, I feel content.

Kelli

I've been banded for 5 years and this has been reported at least that long. Nearly every Bandster I know is super tight in the morning....and loosens up as time goes on. Also, for female bandsters, we tend to be tighter during that time of the month. Just the way it is.

What worries me is that your doctor may react that way to somebody who doesn't have a Bandster support group to validate their reaction with... and as such.... who knows how the person may react.

No. You're not mental. This is a WIDELY experienced phenomenon that hasn't been very clearly explained, but you are not alone. My personal theory is that gravity works throughout the day to redistribute the fluids in our body, so that tissues near the band might thin out even while our ankles swell. Though the effect may not be visible, it only takes a little change in Fluid levels (whether in the band itself or in the tissues surrounding it) to change our perceived restriction.

Just to add my .02.....this is EXACTLY what my surgeon said is the cause. So we have a dr confirming Alexandra's discription.

Your doc needs some more education in the band department. The band getting looser as the day goes is normal. My doctor even says that is so.

4-15-04

-110lbs

I think we all agree that a) we have more restriction in the early part of the day and ;) without regard to restriction or her doctors' glazed and confused bedside manner, NJChick is indeed crazy! :D

Now for the really scary thought: This reaction to our bodies' variable tics and quirks is not unique to the lapband patient. Most doctor's, because they don't have firsthand experience of their patient's situations, don't have a thorough understanding of the mechanics of day to day medical issues! They're very good at giving a pat answer without trying to really find out what's going on with our bodies. They give advise, based on what's been written in the medical journals and accept that it is the absolute, written in stone, cut and dried truth. No if's and's or but's! In my experience, there are no absolutes.

I can understand that if a doctor is overworked, he, or she, doesn't have time to do research on every little ache, pain, or tickle for every one of their patients. What terrifies me is that most of them don't seem to even consider what their patient's are telling them as accurate or even possible! If it ain't in the book, it ain't happening. Which means, if you're experiencing it, you're just nuts. Or a hyperchondriac.

Having said all that, I know there are some doctors who will jump through every hoop to help their patients but in my experience they're few and far between. Mostly, it seems they want your money, they want to solve your problem without effort, and then they want you to go away.

Just a cheerful little thought to start the week! (Sorry :nervous )

Donna, crazy is as crazy does ;)

I don't know about anyone else but there's no way I'm gonna tell my doctor he is miss informed or lacking knowledge for one reason and one reason only.....

He's the one comming at me with that BIG FILL NEEDLE Hehehehe... get the point ~

LOL! You know, on second thought, your doctor, AND mine, are probably the two best physicians in the world! I'm surprised they both haven't received some kind of national recognition!

Well...I've told me surgeon a couple things and he's said "that shouldn't be happening" and I just look at him like he's the most profound man in the world and move along. As long as I'm not in major pain or suffering...I figure that skinny MAN doesn't know what my fat female body is feeling.....

That and the big needle issue......