Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band Slip???got Unfill...now No Restriction!!!

I have had a tough few weeks. I had a fill on November 14th and it was TOO TIGHT! I had a very hard time with eating and keeping anything down. It was so hard. Then last week I got some taken out and now I feel hungry and no restriction. The doctor mentioned that maybe my band slipped? YIKES!! I am praying that this did not happen...any advice? Has anyone had a slip? I am not prepared for having to go thru another surgery...

I just had my slip surgically repaired and plication done at the same time. I don't know if it was just me or what, but the second surgery was A LOT easier to recover from than the initial surgery. I think maybe it was because I was already used to so little food.< /p>

Thanks for the feedback...How did you know that you needed this? Stupid question but what is plication? Are there signs that you get from a slipped band?

I didn't have any signs other than being too tight and vomiting twice followed by horrible pain. I had a barium swallow before they started refilling the second time and that's when the slip was diagnosed.

Oh, and there is no stupid question! Plication is a procedure where they fold your stomach in and stitch it up. It is in the study phase in the U.S. so not all surgeons are doing it. It is very similar to a gastric sleeve. It is done in combination with the band to help with weight loss. It is also supposed to cut way down on the possibility of band slips.

Thanks...I appreciate your help. I am going next Wednesday 12/12/12 to see the doctor. I am hoping for the best. I am sorry now that I had an unfill last week. This is such a learning process.

My band slipped about 6 mths ago. I had really bad nightime reflux. My only symptom. Dr took our 1/2 my fill (5cc) and let it rest for 4 wks. The reflux went away. Yeah! He then put a 1cc fill to start slowly filling me back up. Felt like I had no band. Ate alot. Went back and got a 1cc fill. Then the reflux started again. He finally xrayed me {should have been done before putting in the first 1cc. My band was still slipped. So he too out the previous 1cc out and told me that if my symptoms went away, Im fine. He treats symptoms, not xrays. Great. Now I still have a slipped band. I have occasional reflux now when I sleep on my right side, but its tolerable.

I have much lessened restriction. Im ok until about 6pm. Then I feel like I have no band. I can eat the side of a barn. I've now officially gained 10 lbs since the slip, 18 since last Dec when I got marrid. My 8 jeans don't fit anymore. Had to buy a few pairs of 10s. Im so bummed.

I know I need to buckle down and control my weight. I've had my band for 3 yrs and its done its job. Now I have to do mine.

Good luckk!

Marci

My band slipped about 6 mths ago. I had really bad nightime reflux. My only symptom. Dr took our 1/2 my fill (5cc) and let it rest for 4 wks. The reflux went away. Yeah! He then put a 1cc fill to start slowly filling me back up. Felt like I had no band. Ate alot. Went back and got a 1cc fill. Then the reflux started again. He finally xrayed me {should have been done before putting in the first 1cc. My band was still slipped. So he too out the previous 1cc out and told me that if my symptoms went away, Im fine. He treats symptoms, not xrays. Great. Now I still have a slipped band. I have occasional reflux now when I sleep on my right side, but its tolerable.

I have much lessened restriction. Im ok until about 6pm. Then I feel like I have no band. I can eat the side of a barn. I've now officially gained 10 lbs since the slip, 18 since last Dec when I got marrid. My 8 jeans don't fit anymore. Had to buy a few pairs of 10s. Im so bummed.

I know I need to buckle down and control my weight. I've had my band for 3 yrs and its done its job. Now I have to do mine.

Good luckk!

Marci

Your story is a lot like mine. ktsped, If you have had a slip, your surgeon can tell by a barium swallow. and you could not have not have survived a month without an unfill. Gaining a little is better than being hopsitalized for dehydration or worse. Mostly, if it is not a severe slip, bands will go back into place with an unfill. best wishes. karen