Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Did You Get Fat???

I was reading some post the other day and it got me to thinking. Several people were disappointed in there weight loss and were afraid they would slide back into old habits . There were also comments like I can not believe I let myself get this big!!

This got me to thinking about myself what did I do to get up to 275 lbs? Obviously I ate , and I obviously knew what it was doing to me. But somehow it was still okay? WHY? What did I tell myself that made it okay to eat like that.

I think you have to know the answer to the question ,How did I get so FAT? So you can learn not to believe the old self talk that got you there . Also what tactics did you use to sabatoge yourself. Once you know these things about yourself you have one more tool to use with the Lap Band . The band will help your stomach, knowing yourself and your eating or failure patterns will help you avoid them. You will know how you got FAT and how not to go there again. It really is that simple , I didn't say EASY..I think the biggest portion of weight loss successful folks will tell you the hardest battle is the one you have with your head and that is where you fail or succeed.

When you know better... you do better ..... I didn't just wake up fat one morning it was a long process and I let it happen and finding out the answer to how it happened for me was the key to my keeping my weight off.

This is a good post. How did I get so fat? Hmmmmmm. Eating, medicine that made me tired, bad health, no exercise due to health and tired, more eating, more and more meds that make me tired, and more eating. there ya have it and it sucks! Sandy

Don't forget the emotional side of things. .....when someone talked to mr about the need to lose weight, I felt they did not love me or felt ashamed of me and I would eat more....hiding behind the fat.

Oh I don't think eating to 275lbs for me had a whole lot to do with food hunger.

I was just banded on 11/27 and have been thinking a lot about this...First, I love food and think that is what i always told myself. I know it is more than that and am still pondering. For some reason when i was thinner i felt very uncomfortable having attention regarding my looks, i felt safer heavier...weird huh? I am older now in my 40s with more self awareness and believe this will not be an issue any longer. I am doing this to feel better the looking good thing is just a bonus.

Idk ? Think it was being uncomfortable with my looks , depresstoin , hate me myself more everyday for being fat, and maybe punishing me ? I also like foods , think that food was use as some kind of comfort , I'm so unhappy with me that eating was the only temp thing that made me feel good at the moment then it was back to be ashame of myself , also all the medication that I'm on , some make me hungery and want to eat , some just say that they can make you gain wieght , I'm on a lot of mental Meds for bipolar , pts, anixitys, depresstoin , blood pressure . And then I got to big to do much activity , that I. Just stay in my room . It hurt to much to do much of anything , it gotten alittle better sense I've lost some wieght now

One bite at a time... just WAY too many of them! I was a carb addict, not sweets, but potatoes, pasta...i could eat a ton.!

eating too much fast foods, high calories/high fat processed foods and not moving...

i was the one who chose to eat alot of foods and sit on my ass..that is how i gained weight

i never hardly eat fast food. dont like it, w/ the exception of taco bell once in a blue moon. oh you betcha i was depressed! not lazy. Sandy

It really touches me reading about the emotional side of things cos i know that's how i got here.

Emotional eater all the way and to top it off, a really emotional person! hah!

I eat for all the wrong reasons... To Celebrate, togetherness, happiness, defeat, depression, comfort...

Almost every life situation has food involved. I grew up in a house where everyone was so busy that our quality time was spent around a table filled with amazing home cooked food so i guess that's the core of it.

I am so disappointed in myself... i have lost a huge amount of weight 3 times in my life (got down to a bmi of 24) but always gained it back over time.

That's why i am getting the lap band. Cos i either "diet" or let go completely, i don't have stability. I need to be taught how to eat all over again and not have a 'feast or famine' mentality.

To everyone feeling ashamed, you are not alone. I feel it every time i walk into a room full of people, order something from a restaurant, go clothes shopping, look in the mirror, socialize.... the list goes on.

Chin up guys, we are all beautiful regardless of our size. Let's just try and lose weight so we can be healthy and buy cute clothes haha

WE GOT THIS.

For me, I really enjoyed eating out (mostly fast food) and lazy. After getting to where I felt my weight was a lost cause and insurmountable I didn't care anymore and just ate more. I wasn't happy with myself so those few moments of euphoria eating a Portillo's beef sandwich, fries, etc was a momentary high for me. It's been a great feeling not hiding or drowning in food anymore. I have also found that I can make many foods at home that are still very tasty and not feeling deprived.

The biggest challenge for me in all of this has been the emotional aspect of eating.

The emo

For me, I really enjoyed eating out (mostly fast food) and lazy. After getting to where I felt my weight was a lost cause and insurmountable I didn't care anymore and just ate more. I wasn't happy with myself so those few moments of euphoria eating a Portillo's beef sandwich, fries, etc was a momentary high for me. It's been a great feeling not hiding or drowning in food anymore. I have also found that I can make many foods at home that are still very tasty and not feeling deprived.

The biggest challenge for me in all of this has been the emotional aspect of eating.

t

The Emotional Side is VERY tough! I had been good for over a year, my hubby took one trip without me and I ate ice cream for dinner. Yep, it's a journey not a destination!

I had complete and utter disregard for the foods I ate, the portions i took or the drinks I consumed. I worked 12 hrs a day sitting on my butt and certainly was too tired to exercise, had no scale and was eating mcdonalds on the way to work... Take out for lunch and they same portions as my 6'1" 200 lb hubby for dinner. We entertained a few times a week and consumed several cocktails on top of an already high calorie day.

My mother was fat and I saw her yo yo her whole life. I followed the pattern ....then one day I just decided to embrace my fat and resigned myself to living a fat life. I really believe I thought one day I would just stop gaining and lose it because I was getting older. How goofy is that?

Of course that didn't happen and when my mother died in 2009 I strongly believe her weight was a big part of her demise. Granted she was 79 but They couldn't do a surgery she needed because she was so overweight. Three weeks after her death my infant grandson died and I was hit with a sledgehammer... I did some soul searching for the next year, turned 50 and decided it was time for drastic measures. I was banded in December 2010.

Simple!! My mouth was open more than closed.

What carolinagirl said!