Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do You Think It Is Possible?

I just got a call from my surgeons office. They told me that they had been in touch with my insurance and that I had coverage for lap band. They also told them what my out of pocket would be after my deductible. The only requirement they had was 5 years of my weight records. I have 4 years, but not 5. The fifth year, I only went to my obgyn and he has since passed away and I don't know where the records are. The surgeon said he would probably be able to get past the insurance because of not knowing where the records are. Has anyone had anything like this happen to them? Did you have luck with insurance, or was it a tug of war? I am keeping my fingers and toes crossed. I am so ready for a change in my life. Thanks......

Good luck, I hope that yoru surgeon is very persuasive! Karen

Congrats on getting closer to getting healthy...

All I needed was a 6 month pre learning to eat healthy (which i already knew...couldnt control the portions)

My dr just reported all the diets I had succeded at and all I had gained back...

GOOD LUCK !

The OBGYN who passed away should still have office staff that has your records. By law, records must be kept for 10 years before being destroyed. So, I would contact either his former office or even possibly any hospital he was affiliated with to see how to get your records.

Best wishes to you.

My insurance said the same thing but was never requested. Just had to do the 6 months supervised nutrition etc and got approved. Each insurance company is different so might be best to call insurance directly to get information

I called the insurance and their only requirement is 5 years of weight records. No 6 months of supervised nutrition or anything, Yes each insurance company is different. It depends on the employer, not the insurance company, It can get crazy. Thanks for the info.......

Yes, mis73 if I need to try to track them down I will. But, if the surgeon thinks he can get past it with the insurance, I'm not. I will find out on 12/12/12 when I see him again. It's not like I was somehow miraculously thin 5 years ago. Lol......

I called the insurance and their only requirement is 5 years of weight records. No 6 months of supervised nutrition or anything' date=' Yes each insurance company is different. It depends on the employer, not the insurance company, It can get crazy. Thanks for the info.......[/quote']

Yes I know the employer makes the decision to have it as a covered option etc but your insurance should have all the details of requirement.

Yes, thanks......

Can you locate any records from 6 years ago or prior? Whilst you may be missing year 5, if you can demonstrate weight has been a struggle for a long term this is what the insurance company is after.

I don't know about the 6th year. I will check if needed. Thanks.....

Yes..I needed 3 years and I was missing one. The ins. Coordinator at my surgens office told me to write a letter and explain that I didn't have the 3rd year due to moving out of state. Was never an issue and was approved my first try. I had aetna insurance. Good luck!

I was in the same boat but missing two years, and the surgeons office didn't sound very confident in sending any records over. I have since found a new surgeons office and they mentioned if I have a hiatial hernia my insurance will cover for half the surgery. I'm getting my edg to find out on the 27th.

Since checking with two different surgeons officices they have both told me different things pending an insurance approval. But one did ask me if I visited the year prior and what my weight was so u may want to check that. If not, maybe see if any pictures or weight watchers or any other recorded weight records will work or someone suggested a picture with the date on it then a handwritten letter of why your missing that year... Good luck to you!!!

I will, thank you!!

Yes I had the same thing happen to me my PCP lost my records and says he moved and left all records at old location. but when I showed up there was no longer a business there. I had to show BMI of 40 diet attempt in the last yr and nutritionist eval and psych eval and a clearance from PCP after 2nd day I was approved. BCBS FEDERAL OF FLORIDA so if your weight yo- yoed u should be fine.also it can be any doctor they're just looking for something with your weight charted.I even used a doctors walk in clinic to show proof.