Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

scared...should I be?

Hello...this is my first "thread." I have gone to my initial meeting and will be having the band surgery done in June. I am so apprehensive! I am scared that it will be a waste of money...$17,000 is a lot of money to waste...if it doesn't do anything to help me finally get this weight off.

I will be having my surgery at Northwest Weightloss Surgery in Everett, WA. The doctor is Watkins...anyone heard of him or the center? Any info. would be comforting.

I am paying $15000 plus for mine and had to do a ton (pardon the pun) of thinking about going ahead, I am to be banded in 12 days and just started pre-op diet, but I worte down the pros and cons on a piece of paper. I am so glad to be doing this 'cos the alternative to the operation , ie living the life I was living,not being able to pick up easily my new niece, looking bad in my uniform for work, sittting on the couch eating when I should be out living was consuming me. My depression was very high also, and I just couldn't carry on!

I don'tknow anything about your doctor as I am here in New Zealand, but there is heaps of info on the site, did you put his name in the search section?

You can PM anytime if you need to ask anything,

Good luck on your decision, also it doesn't have to be made now, it takes a long time sometimes and various visits to doctors etc before you may make the final decision

Regards Fiona:)

I am going to be banded in 7 weeks and I am scared as well. I have also made a pro and con list and the pros out weighted the cons. I have been researching this for a year so I feel as prepared as I can be. I tell you, you came to the right place. if you have any questions or concerns this place has the greatest group of people. I have found comfort, support and lots of answers here. I know what you mean about being scared and as amourette wrote my depression is hard to deal with. I have put my life on hold because of my weight and how I feel about myself like this. I wish I could love myself this way but I can't. I want to be healthy and active. I hope this tool will give me the push and restriction I need to get to a more comfortable me. There is so many reasons I choose the band. I just wanted to let you know that I am in the same boat and if you need a friend you are welcome to pm me. Make good use of this site. They are a great group of friends.:) :biggrin1: :)

I am on my way to being banded too.

I am scared, but excited.

I think its that fear that has kept my eyes open and not blindly go in to this surgery. I know the risks, but I also know the good of the surgery.

I think a little bit of fear is natural. It keeps us sharp, on our toes, and looking out for ourselves.

Don't let the fear of your own fear keep you quiet or keep you in self doubt. Use it as a tool to make you stronger. Use it to ask questions. Dont let your fear make you think that your questions are stupid or that you are dumb.

Fear made me smarter. I ask the "How's, why's and what for's" so that I can overcome my fear.

I am still a little scared, but I am going in to this with my head filled with knowledge and courage.

Good luck and Godspeed to us all!

Hi Melissa,

I know just how you feel. I GOT BANDED last june and I went through the big doubt. Being a mom and a woman we always put everyone eles first.

and I thought of a million other things I could send 12,000,00 on.

But I am so greatful I sent it on me. I wouldn't want to be without it

It has been a great help in the battle of the bulge.

Good Luck

Amy

Hi Everyone,

This is my first thread. I am going in for my band tomorrow at noon. Yikes .

I am extremely nervous. I had some blood work done on Tuesday 4/4 and told the nurse that i was nervous. She told me she would put a note in my chart to have them give a sedative as soon as I get to the Hospital. Maybe that is an option for you future banders as well. I am more excited about feeling better about myself ...FINALLY! I have three children 4,2,and 1. I have not been able to play with them like I want to for a long time due to my weight. Life is too short to be unhappy!

Good luck all,

Paula :clap2:

312/312/170

Yes is alot of money .Is it worth it YES YES YES

I now see my shadow and am not sadden by it's shape wake in the morning pains in my legs and feet, I can feel the bones in my face ,my legs don't rub when I walk, I have become a swimming teacher when once there was A time a wouldn't be seen in bathers.

So yes it is worth it good luck I can go on and on about all the ( nsv non scale victories) which you can find a threat on from others.

I was also self pay at a rate of $17,000.00. I never would be where I am now if I did not do this. This has changed me not only physically, but just as important, mentally. I would probably have gained even more weight instead of losing.

It is a lot of money. The way that I looked at it is that it is the amount of a new car. My life and being around for my 6 month old is more important than a darn car.

Be a little selfish. Do it for you.

Good luck, you will succeed. I am living proof. :scared:

Hi, i am also scared yet exited. Weird feeling hey? I can't seem to think of anything else at the moment. It is as if my life has been put on hold until my op. I don't even want to talk about it to my family and friends - i'm in this zone! This is not a good thing either and if i didn't find this website, i think i would have gone slightly mad by now...But just knowing there are people out there - even if it's the other side of the world - going through the same emotions, has made my day! Thank you!

I had to do the six month supervised WLS. I thought I was going to loss my mind from the wait. But here I am 16 days away from getting my band. Hang in there your time will come. I wish you all well.

Roberta

I think it's normal to feel the feelings, I did myself before my surgery. I'm about 10 weeks out from getting my band and doing fine. The weight loss isn't as fast as I had hoped, but some of that is my own fault for not working w/ my band the way I need to. I just had my second fill Tuesday and am eating way less. I think as long as you understand the band and are comfortable w/ the effort you must put into it then it won't be a waste of money or time. Even when I've been discouraged I've never once wished that I hadn't gotten banded. Just my 2 cents!!!

I had to do the six month supervised WLS. I thought I was going to loss my mind from the wait. But here I am 16 days away from getting my band. Hang in there your time will come. I wish you all well.

Roberta

Remember you are my support system:) I will be expecting to hear from you as soon as you are able to get to that computer and PM me. I'm getting really excited for you. It's getting close. I can remember when we were looking at 6 mo. and now you are almost there. I hope by next mo. I will be too and you can walk me through the baby steps. You are in my prayers. Keep me in yours.

I will be having my surgery at Northwest Weightloss Surgery in Everett, WA. The doctor is Watkins...anyone heard of him or the center? Any info. would be comforting.

There are lots of Dr Watkin's patients on Yahoo Groups

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/SmartBandsters/

Jessie Alhroni is extremely active on that forum. She works at the NWWLS and does their fills amongst other things.

I am having my first consultation with Dr. Watkins. on April 19.

Good luck. Keep us all informed about your experience.