Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vomit Blood

Hi everyone tia for reading this thread. I've had my lap band in for some time now. I'm 5.5ml everything was going great until this morning when I was having my usual glass of juice and felt I couldn't tolerate it, it was painful. I went to toilet threw up bright red blood. Called the surgeons office they will see me tomorrow morning. Has this happened to anyone? How bad can it be? Should I really not worry? I'm freaking out :( please if anyone has has any experience let met me know. Thank you

The receptionist just said to have ice chips. I was too scared to ask her anything plus I know she wouldn't have been able to answer my concerns. But if she booked me in for tomorrow I guess it isn't that bad? :-/ hopefully.

Throwing up blood - I would go to the ER, receptionist is not a medical doctor or nurse.

Throwing up blood is not normal and would constitute an emergent situation in my books. Having gone through a similar situation and not going to the ER, I continued to throw up blood...violently, ultimately my band slipped. I was in another country abroad at the time which is the only reason why I didn't head straight for the ER.

I got on the first flight available to go home, I emailed my surgeon and his office in advance, by the time I landed I had several emails, phone calls and text messages both from my surgeon and his office...all said to head to the hospital where he would meet me. NHL had already set up a number of tests for me and had put me on the emergent wait list for an OR. I need to have my band repositioned. It was a very painful time for me and I got dangerously dehydrated.

This is nothing to play around with

Praying all is ok. It could be not horribly serious or it could be very serious. I have to agree with the others... go to the ER.

Hi everyone tia for reading this thread. I've had my lap band in for some time now. I'm 5.5ml everything was going great until this morning when I was having my usual glass of juice and felt I couldn't tolerate it, it was painful. I went to toilet threw up bright red blood. Called the surgeons office they will see me tomorrow morning. Has this happened to anyone? How bad can it be? Should I really not worry? I'm freaking out :( please if anyone has has any experience let met me know. Thank you

if anyone vomits blood they need to take their hinney to the emergency room instead of posting on this forum asking should they be worried,,,,,,,

I hope all is well... I am NOT a Dr however with that being said.

You were probably booked for an appt. because bright blood is usually surface blood ( think a scratch) However DARK blood or vomitting coffee grounds consistency is VERY dangerous an needs to be an ER time.

CG btw she was on here posting out of concern. She had already taken proper action by calling her Dr. But then came here looking for help/support. Thats what we are here for.

Sorry to say but your reply seemed mean an not helpful. IMHO

You were probably booked for an appt. because bright blood is usually surface blood ( think a scratch) However DARK blood or vomitting coffee grounds consistency is VERY dangerous an needs to be an ER time.

CG btw she was on here posting out of concern. She had already taken proper action by calling her Dr. But then came here looking for help/support. Thats what we are here for.

OH MY GOSH! STOP! Please if ppl do not like a post someone has made move past that post and ignore it.

Calling someone out by name is rude & judgmental! CG was so concerned that she bother to post and she knew if it was her she would be taking herself to the ER, pronto! Sorry if YOU thought it was non supportive, but this was CG's opinion and she is entitled to it.

Truthfully, I'm getting tired of ppl attacking the Lapband pro's for their honest opinions!

Best wishes on your LB journey! I'm gone!

Didn't she ask " how bad can it be" and " should I worry"? I know that you would feel horrible is her " surface scratch" turned out to be so much worse.

Each person on here that asks a question is likely to read through the various replies and decide for themselves what rings true to them. No one on here is a victim and no one needs to be defended. Keep being supportive in your way. It's what you do best. Let others be supportive however they want to be. I'm sure our dear bleeding friend wasn't as offended as you were.

Best wishes to you!

As long as you can tolerate Water, then waiting til tomorrow will be okay.

I can not for the life of me understand why people post stuff that needs medical attention. No she should not wait til tomorrow she should go now. It is not our place to say why she should wait. It is no ones business to bash a poster for telling her not to post this when in fact she shouldnt. I have seen way too many post that I am having chest pain, leg pain, stomach pain. Go to the ER so you don't regret it. Everyone else that is telling her to wait you do not have the right or the professional stance to say that. Go to the ER now.

You are absolutely right. Had it been like ground coffee she said she would of asked me to go to Er but that I still needed to see the doctor anyway make sure all was ok. You will be glad to know that it was nothing...despite the worry that bloo should always be a concern so I'm not saying that if this happens to any of you that you shouldn't worry. You still should cause it is never normal in my cause thank goodness all it was was me having had a bad night before with some food I had and did throw up quiet violently though this didn't dawn on me until after I spoke to the doctor and he explained how we can tear the lining or irritate it causing it to bleed but that it settles on its own. I'm still getting used to my band. Learning as I go. :)

if anyone vomits blood they need to take their hinney to the emergency room instead of posting on this forum asking should they be worried' date=',,,,,,[/quote']

Hey caroline girl :) didn't go to hospital cause despite throwing up blood I was feeling fine, I spoke to the receptionist who has a lap band herself, so I know she not only knows about everything she needs to but then some, I posted cause I wanted to know if this had happened to anyone else. Now in future if anyone should ask the same question I will be able to tell my story though still recommend they go to their booked appointment. The receptionist though not a doctor is aware what is considered an emergency and at least at my doctors surgery they are also very caring and supporting. Hope you have a great day.