Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gallstone Problems, Anyone Else After Surgery?

Before my surgery during pre-op procedures I had to do a barium (yuk) test to see how well I swallowed and they wanted to look at my stomach, not an Endoscopy, had one of those too, anyway, they detected gallstones, then right after surgery I had to go into the ER for vomiting and they did an x-ray to make sure my band hadn't slipped and they saw the gallstones then too. Well since then and losing since June I've been having some probs that may be related to my gallbladder and gallstones. Anyway, went to my PCP today and he has ordered a Hepatobiliary Scan for next week, has anyone had this done before? I'd like to know what to expect??? thx

I just had an ultrasound that showed several large stones :( I am having my gallbladder removed in January. There is no treatment for stones other then removal. It is a side effect if you will with weight loss surgery and also in my case pregnancy. I wish it would have been removed when I had surgery.

I am a week post op from having my gallbladder removed. Boy what a procedure for me it was! Surgeon got in there and it was so diseased, so many gallstones and it had grown to my liver so he had to cut it away from from my liver which resulted in me losing a lot of blood and having a drainage tube in my side and me staying overnight in the hospital, ugh. I'm home now and trying to heal. Last night I started running a fever. Today its normal, dr things I'm either trying to catch a bug or fighting off Pneumonia, he's keeping a close eye on me. @Mjv I hope you do ok with your surgery in January, you'll be up and out in no time. @honk, I eat a low fat diet for the most part, my symptoms were mostly nausea and some vomiting, I did experience some pain in my back but not stabbing pains. Boy has this been an experience.

Good Luck! Think positive thoughts!

My surgeon has us take a pill for six weeks to avoid getting stones

What "pill" was it that he gave you? Never heard of such a pill....

Yes I had to get my gallbladder removed 5 months after my lap band because I had gallstones. I never had any problems before that.

Wait ya all am I understanding this correct? Weight loss causes the stones why what's the reason? Should I be worried?

I don't regret any decision in my life because at the end I will make it work

Yes weight loss can cause gallstones unfortunately.

Wait ya all am I understanding this correct? Weight loss causes the stones why what's the reason? Should I be worried?

I don't regret any decision in my life because at the end I will make it work

My theory is ...when you lose weight...your whole body shrinks (even your organs like the gallbladder). When you gallbladder shrinks...my theory is that the gallstones don't shrink causing there to be a greater likelihood of your gallstones wanting to pass through the tiny tube.

Not sure of the specific name of the tube but you know when your having a gallstone attack because it will bring you to your knees. Big stone going through a small tube is not fun at all...TRUST ME !!!

I had my gall bladder removed 9 months after being banded.

gallstones are caused by cholesterol is what I was told with that said, I always had good cholesterol, go figure, when he got in there mine was FULL of gallstones. And to answer your question above, yes rapid weight loss does cause you to sometimes have your gallbladder removed or most likely or so I was told again and in my case it happened. I'm having a hard time healing from gallbladder surgery because mine had grown to my liver and he had to cut it away and I bled profusely and now I am having non-stop diarrhea and low grade fever so not sure if I have some kind of infection. Going tomorrow for some test.

gallstones are caused by cholesterol is what I was told with that said, I always had good cholesterol, go figure, when he got in there mine was FULL of gallstones. And to answer your question above, yes rapid weight loss does cause you to sometimes have your gallbladder removed or most likely or so I was told again and in my case it happened. I'm having a hard time healing from gallbladder surgery because mine had grown to my liver and he had to cut it away and I bled profusely and now I am having non-stop diarrhea and low grade fever so not sure if I have some kind of infection. Going tomorrow for some test.

We pray wisdom for the doctor for you Donna, and complete 100% healing for you. Let us know how the doctor visit goes please.

Blessings,

MD

I had my gall bladder removed two months post OP due to the rapid weight loss mine got infected, dialated and I had never had issues prior to my surgery and by that time I was at a 65lb loss Two months out so my bariatric Dr got me in three days after my horrible attack and removed it! The recovery was worse than my lapband surgery but 6 weeks out and I'm finally just feeling normal again!! I wish he would have taken it out during my lapband surgery since this can be an known issue with the rapid weight loss!

Glad you're feeling better!