Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Airplane seat bellt's size?

Here is an embarrasing question but since this a support group I am going ahead and asked it.

Couple of years ago I rode an airplane and when I need to blucke up in the first plane the seat belt barely reached, on my way back they had to issue me an extension, so, do you guys and gals know the size of the seat belt lately? I have not lost much weigth since the band and I am going to ride with a few co-workers in the plane. I am just trying to get mentally prepared for any potential embarrassement.

Thanx.

I had this happen to me once...I was riding with people I didn't know very well...so I just went up to the ticket agent, made a request for an extension for my seat, and by the time I got to my seat, it was already there and I didn't have to make a deal about it at all.

Good luck!

Megan

It, as well as seat size, varies by airline. Southwest - I have to exhale the very Fiber of my being in order to get the belt buckled. Midwest - buckled with room to spare.

Look at http://www.seatguru.com/ They have data by airline/plane on seating size, good seats/bad seats (which armrests don't go up, which have extra room taken by a console tray, etc.). Great site & resource for the plus size traveler! ;)

Since, to my horror, I discovered the seatbelt wouldn't fit around me, whenever I fly I tell the flight attendant as I'm entering the plane that I'll need an extension, my seat number, and that it's embarrassing to me so could she please either give me one here or bring one to my seat without making me ask for it again? They've always been very nice about it and usually they give me the extension right there (possibly because I'm so open about my embarrassment, not to mention their's for me). Remember, they're trying to load the plane as quickly as possible and everyone behind me is stacking up waiting to get on the plane! If they don't give me an extension right there, they always bring it to my seat discretely as soon as they can. Usually after the take-off instructions where they use belt extensions to give the demonstration.

It's embarrassing to me to do this but because the people behind you can't hear what you're saying due to all the jetway noise and because the people in front of you have already moved on to make their way to their seats, the only people to hear me are the flight attendant and myself. I've suffered with the embarrassment of obesity for over a decade, and while inside I'm still mortified, I can handle it with one or two flight attendants, I'm sure they've seen other obese people and they'll forget about me before the plane takes off. Besides, it's much better than pushing the call button and asking for an extender while everyone around you has settled and is waiting for the plane to taxi while you struggle with your belt. Here's a tip: stand right in the doorway to have your conversation with the flight attendant, the people behind you can't crowd you or try to pass you while you have the discussion.

I can't believe how painful it was to admit this here publicly. The only reason I did is because it might be helpful to others. Those of you who have shared much more painful stories here on LBT are, IMO, incredibly brave or have much thicker skin than I do.

So far I haven't had to ask for an extender, but I'm flying home in september and I weigh more now then I ever did, so I'm hoping that I can lose a bit before my flight in home.

at one tme I had to fly a lot- my mother was sick and I went back and forth a few times before she died and I also had to fly for training a lot for work. I really did not want to deal with the embarrasment- it was hard enough to fly without my skinny husband loaning me part of his seat-:) so I found a place and bought an extension. It was a few yrs ago and I paid about $30 for it but I never had to ask The tag on the belt says am-safe phoenix az ph 602-850-2850 Can't say if they are still in business or sell to the public but it is worth a try. One of the other things I will not miss when the weight is gone!

You know, I have never flown and I think that is one of the reasons, I am embarrassed that I will not fit into the seats, in fact, I know I won't. It is sad how this rules my life. The last time I went to a basketball game, which I used to love watching pro basketball, it was all I could do to squeeze my hiney into the seats (they have armrests). So, I stopped going. The last time I went to an amusement park, I could barely fit through the turnstyle, so I don't go to amusement parks anymore. I can't wait to not have my life dictated by my weight anymore.

Hi all,

I fly a lot. I am also shaped like really big pear. I also have been routinely asking for a seatbelt extender for years. Sometimes you need it and sometimes not depends on the airline. Sometimes you just need that extra inch and not the whole thing, but it will make your flying way more comfortable!!!

I basically ask the flight attendent the minute I board, "May I please have a seatbelt extender?" I politely stand to the side and say "I'd rather take it to my seat myself, I just wait here out of the way, thank you so much." (As you enter the plan, the extender will be located right above her/his head in a cabinet.)

I do not let her ask me my seat # and tell me she'll bring it over later.

Because she/he is busy, will more than likely forget and then you either have to press the call button to ask again OR she/he comes sailing down the aisle asking everyone who looks fat, "did you ask me for a seatbelt extender?".

The extender is really a safety issue. I always leave my seatbelt on even when the sign is off just in case of turbulance. It also allows some wiggle room which you need on loooonnnng flights for comfort and for preventing clots

The smaller regional airlines like American Eagle or Delta Express where they have 30-50 seats max is where most everyone could use an extender. Smaller plane, smaller seats = smaller seat belts!

The only airline I will not fly unless I need it for a funeral is Southwest. They will take one look at you and ask you to pay for an additional seat. I have never had it happen to me but friends have gone through it and they show it happening on the realtiy tv show "Airline" that features Southwest. They will communicate by walkie talkie or phone that they have a "POS" or "Person of size" and the POS will need another seat. I have never ever seen any other large airline do this. If they do it is certainly done with tact if the passenger is extremely large but they don't start yelling "we have a POS!". And I have flown Continental, Delta, American, United, Airtran, AlItalia, British Air, Northwest and USAir.

My husband is a really huge guy (trying to get him to band with me), when he flies he just goes right up to the check in agent and asks them to please change whatever seat he has to the emergency exit (way more leg room!!!) or he asks if the plane isn't full could he please have a seat where the middle seat is empty. He explains that this is for the other passenger's comfort not only his own. They take a look at him and try to help him out about 99% of the time.

I take up space on the seat, he takes up space at the shoulder level.

I have even joked with flight attendents that I use my hips for good not evil!

Two things to remember-even if you take up a little more space than the average passenger it is only for a short period of time. Your fat is not the only inconvenience passengers put up with. The seats get smaller all the time. People with colds sneezing on you, people who never heard about deodorent, people who push the seat all the way back so your legs are around your neck, people who carry on so much luggage it knocks you in the head as they swing it down the aisle, the person who talks non-stop while you might be trying to work, the person whose breath could knock out a horse! So don't feel guilty or bad or embarressed.

It is ok to ask if your seatmate minds if you put up the arm rests.

A rule of seatbelt extender etiquette (sp?)-return the extender on your way out and thank them. They will love you.

Keep using those hips for good not evil!!

Love,

Diva

BTW- Iam 5'2", weigh 276, hubby is 6'2" and weighs about 375. I am trying to get banded by summer. Trying to talk hubby into it too. I can assure you all that I take up quite a bit of space with my butt. Don't let anyone or anybody make you feel bad about paying your money and flying. But always pack patience and humor!

Love,

Diva in MA

I ask the flight attendant for one as soon as I step on the plane. They either give it to me right there or bring it to me. If you don't make a big deal out of it then no one will notice or care. :scared:

I used to have seat belt issues. One day you will have room to spare. One day those airline seats will feel very roomy. It's a nice feeling. So, hang in there.