Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Port Detached...

Hi, I got banded September 2011 and fell pregnant the end of October ish. My surgeon suspended my plan until after I'd given birth. I had a fill in August felt no restriction, saw my doctor, waited and had or attempted to have another full beginning of October. It came to light I had a leak. 4 weeks ago I went go karting and took a hit from the side. Two days later I had severe pain in my left side so bad to which I went to a&e had x-rays and it all came back clear I thought id broken a rib you see, turns out I didn't, the doctor said my rib muscle was bruised, I'm still in pain now all around my port area, today I went for an x-ray in order to see about fixing my leak and it showed that my port has become completely unattached, so the point of all this is am i experiencing this pain due to the fact it's become unattached or is it for a different reason such as band erosion? X-rays are clear, in other words they say all looks fine but no real test has been done to prove such thought. Can they really know from just looking at the x ray or am I just worrying for no reason and it is just because the port has become unattached. Really scared and confused :-(

Can anyone help? X

Oh ouch, that sounds terribly painful! I'm so sorry!

A detached port is totally different and separate from erosion. It sounds like that blow to the side was hard enough to rip the port from your abdominal muscle (ouch!). Yes, an xray most certainly would show that, too.

None of this was any fault of your own, it sounds like a freak accident.

Are they going to reattach it for you?

Hi, sorry, my port hasn't actually detached from my muscle the tubing has disconnected.... I should have explained it better, that's how the full doctor phrased it to me. I've researched the pain and all I kept finding info on was about band erosion, never even thought the fact if the tubing broke it would cause any pain let alone this much

Hmm well I started as a private patient the doctor is in thoughts of how to fund correction as he feels obliged as my treatment was suspended. In all honesty it's very confusing and the only thing I really understand about it all is that when I think about it it gives me a headache lol x

Oh ok! Well I'll be honest, I'm glad it's not detached from the muscle! That is still very different from erosion, btw.

It still sounds like that blow to your side is what caused the tubing to come detached. Which, he could definitely and clearly see on xray.

I'm not sure if that would cause pain. Have you had a barium swallow to check your actual band placement? If not, I would. Just to be on the safe side and check your band placement.

Are they going to reattach your tubing to your port?

Yes it's definitely in two the tubing as it was me that was like oh because the band fill doctor couldn't remember me properly from the last time lol. It had a leak from the connector or the two tubes and that's where it's come undone/broke.

I was due for a full and the barium thing you mentioned. Big he knew he already had the images from the previous full so did neither?

My surgeon is looking at fixing it yes but due to the gap in time from surgery he doesn't think the private hospital will allow for this without payment, I believe he is negotiating with them x

Oye, what a mess! I'm so very sorry you're having to go through all this.

Granted this is just my personal opinion, but unless the previous images were taken since you got hit in the stomach and the pain started, I would insist on getting new ones taken.

Best wishes to you. I hope they get this worked for you very soon.

Hi, hmm well I had a call from the hospital today and they're going to fix the problem for me, I will ask them to check my band whilst I'm under I presume they will any way but I'm still going to ask lol.

So it's scheduled for Christmas Eve, which I feel odd about as I have four children. With my initial surgery I felt like I'd been hit by a bus for at least a week. So I'm figuring Christmas will be pretty rubbish from my point of view, hopefully it won't be too bad from the kids.

Thanks for your replys they are greatly received :-) x