Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why So Long Before Surgery?

I went yesterday to meet with the surgeon for the first time. I was told that my surgery probably won't be until March. I was really surprised. I had no idea it would take that long. I know I have to wait for insurance approval, but I didn't realize it would take that long for testing. I am sure you all felt like I do. I'm so anxious to get this process moving along. I was told there would be numerous tests like cardiology, pulminology, blood, sleep study and psychology. Since I don't work, I am just hoping they can cram a bunch of tests together to get this process going. What has been the time lines for some of you?

Nana i dont have my surgery date yet,,, my insur required exactly what u r having to do,,, it was all done at the same time at the dr office (true results) and the sleep study took 2 nights (they sent the little head set to my house and i used it for 2 nights and mailed it back to them) my hold up is the phyc dr forgot to sign my papers and send back to true results so they can send to insur co... so on monday all my paperwork should be faxed to insur co,, then prob a 2 week wait on their decision,,, and oh hell they better approve this or im gonna go all redneck on them if they dont lol... im ready for my band NOW..

oh and i forgot to say i started this process on oct 24,,

I know how you both feel! I started the process in July doing exactly the requirements you listed. I finished all of the appointments by Oct 15 and am finally having surgery on December 12!

The wait really is the worst part, good luck!

Congrats on your 12/12/12 surgery. That is my next appointment date. Hope they can get the ball rolling quick.

I hit some road blocks along the way with positive test results which then lead to additional testing; so, it took me a full year to get my surgery date; just a lot of hoops to go through. . . but definitely worth it.

Look at it positively! You can start now on losing weight and starting to learn how to use your Protein shakes and sipping Water. I lost 34 pounds prior to seeing a doctor. I knew I had to lose 120-130 pounds according to BMI chart, so I figured let's see how much weight I can lose on a controlled diet. I had a Breakfast shake, for lunch, small bowl of Soup and at dinner a small salad, vinegar/oil dressing and a broiled chicken breast. I learned to chew the chicken/salad 25 times before swallowing. The more you start adapting to a band diet, the easier it will be in a long term state. I hear all these people complaining about fasting, eating very light and starving. Try this for 3 months. We all got ourselves in an obese state and now we don't want to suffer a bit for a better quality of living, better health and a new you.

A new You and a healthy You is what our goal will be one day.

Best wishes and Keep the faith.

Thanks guys! I know it will be worth the wait. I am just an impatient person. I have myself mentally ready for this. This is going to be a great help being able to get on here and talk to great people like you. Not everyone understands the struggles of being overweight. I feel like I am isolated in my family. My husband does not have a weight problem. And my grown daughter doesn't seem too excited about me doing this. I haven't told my son because he is going to have a blue blazing fit. I am not going to tell him until I know I have insurance approval. I don't want to put myself through it unless I'm really having surgery. I am ready.....

I think it really depends on your doctor and how fast he can process things. I officially started the process with asking my primary care physician in August. I started that day with the blood tests, for thyroid, etc. That same day, he provided a referral to a nutritionist. Since my insurance didn't require that I have a referral to a psychologist, I made that appointment at the same time I made my nutritional consultation. So I had my nutritional consultation and my first psychological evaluation within the same week. I had to see the psychologist again because he wanted me to complete this 500 + questionnaire. I had to stay on him then to send my results to my primary care physician (which took him 1 1/2 weeks to complete, after I nudged him to hurry). So all of that was done by mid September. My primary care physician had enough information to submit to my insurance company for approval to see the surgeon. I don't have any other health related conditions due to obesity, other than arthritis in my knees. So at first my insurance company denied my referral until my doctor added the arthritis. I was finally cleared to see the surgeon and had my first appointment on 10/8. Before my first appointment with the surgeon, I called and asked how long it would take to have the surgery and was given step by step instructions. I told them that I MUST have the surgery in October, do to work obligations. So, the same day that I first visited the surgeon (10/8), I was placed on the pre-surgery diet for 2 weeks and had my surgery on 10/24. The timing was impeccable. It is going to take you staying on top of your doctors and having your doctors do their part. I agree with Rojasanall, take this time to practice eating less, etc. I would still see if there was a way to move your surgery date up if possible, I was successful with asking for it.

Thanks so much for the information. I will stay on top of the doctor. When he said it would probably be March, I though, that is the worst possible month for me. That is the busiest month of my year. Hopefully we can get it done in February. So, they do testing before it is submitted to insurance? I just figured they were getting insurance approval before tests. I just want to make sure the insurance pays and I don't get stuck with a big bill for tests.

Yes, in my case, my insurance company apparently needed all of my preliminary testing completed, including the psych eval before my doctor even presented my case for approval. Not only that, after I met with the surgeon, my insurance company had to at that point give their final approval for surgery. It was an interesting process, however my primary care doctor was absolutely outstanding, and really worked fast on my part. Stress to your doctor that March is just not a good month, February is better. That is so far off, I am sure that you will have all the necessary tests done and insurance clearance by then.

Thank you so much for your insight. I am happy to learn all I can. Since I don't work I am able to do my testing at any time. I would even do multiple tests on days. I will be sure to mention to my surgeon that I would love to progress as fast as we can. I'm sure he hears that from everybody. Lol.....

It's a great journey we are on! So excited for you!

Remember how many of the test your surgeon is going to require will probably be because heard by your insurance anyway. Also did your doctor give you a weight amount that you have to lose before surgery? If so that could take awhile. I had to lose about 35 pounds before surgery. Also this is the time for you to learn new food habits. I discovered what word my eating triggers. I no longer keep crackers or Cookies or low fat chips in my house because I will eat them mindlessly. It's easy to see the surgery as the finish line by in reality its the start.