Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Do You Decide Your Goal Weight?

First, is my starting weight, my heaviest, my current weight or my weight the day of surgery? (after a 2 week liquid diet)

Second, how do I decide my goal weight? Do I look at a healthy BMI for my height? Do I just subtract 100 pounds? Do I use my senior year of high school weight? My lowest adult weight? HELP

I weigh 288. At 175 I looked really healthy and good (over 10 years ago) but that is far from the weight the charts say I should be.

I am 5'9.

Please tell me how you figured out a realistic goal weight and a suggested one for me based on what I just wrote

I count my heaviest weight from when I started the pre-op process. Then I looked at what my weight would need to be to get out of the Overweight and Obese categories. I chose to set mine such that the BMI falls in the normal range. Everyone is different. Ask your GP. I am very happy with my weight at 175, which was my original goal. I moved it 165 to get the lower BMI and to challenge myself. That said, at 5'9" I am 6 sizes smaller than when I started.

Set intermediate goals too. I don't know your starting weight but things like under 300, under 200 aka "onederland". Do not stress about the perfect goal. DO what is right for your body! Good luck!

377 was the weight I was when I went for my first consult so I use that weight. I hadn't weighed myself I almost fell over dead on the floor... I was expecting 100 lbs less then that.

I am also 5'9. Based on a healthy BMI my dr picked 150. I picked 160. I am i162 today with a healthy BMI of 23.5. I am in a size 8/10 bottoms and small 4/6 tops. If I never lost another lb I would be happy. But I want to see what 150 looks like so I am slowly trying to get there.

My hubby btw has expressed that he thinks I am done..... He is afraid I will start looking gaunt. We'll see....;)

Hm...My surgeon picked mine. I thought 140, he said lets try for 160. I'm just going to shoot for 160 and go from there.

I would definitely consult with your primary care physician to help determine this goal.

My goal is that for a healthy and normal BMI, and is less than that established by both my bariatric surgeon and my PCP. I have not come all this way to have my BMI in the overweight range or borderline normal.

That said, I am 5'4". My goal weight as established by me is 140. My bariatric surgeon set my goal at 166 (using a formula which states in part that as an average we loose only approx. 2/3 of our excess body weight), and my PCP at 150 (which he felt was a healthy goal based on my frame size(small) and age(late 50's)).

Your goal should be a healthy weight for you, one at which you feel healthy. Definitely discuss this goal with your PCP!

I am 64 and day of surgery 240 I am down 2o lbs now. Doctor said 160 would be good I said 140 but given my age 150 would be good. Right now just want to get under 220 next goal is under 200 and I will go from there....,.,..line dancer

I picked a size. I wanted to be a size 10. (I started at a size 24) My body had differnt ideas, I am a size 4. I though I would look old and wrinkled this small but instead I look tiny and petite. Honestly, you have to just give it time. My doctors goal for me was 132, I weigh 130. My goal for me was 150's.

I used the weight at my first consult as my starting weight. As for my goal weight....I played with the bmi calculator until My height and weight were in the "normal" range and chose that as my goal. My Surgeon was ready for me to stop losing 10 pounds ago. but I'd secretly like to lose about 6 more.Good luck!

When my surgeon asked me what my realistic idea of goal weight should be, I told him about 160-165. Over the past two years I really thought I might make it to a size 16. When I came back to see him this last month, my ideal weight should be about 154. I started at I think 276 before Pre-surgery. Today I weighed in at 165...size 12 I would have never dreamed I could lose it. This band has been the best for me, not always the easiest, and many sacrifices.

I'm worried about the long term effect of band. Is the band ok to last 20 years or even 10? I've been reading posts of erosion. Does anyone on this forum know

I was 330 when I started this journey nearly a year ago. My doctor picked my goal weight of 160, I picked 180. I am 10.5 months post op and down 130. I will see how I feel when I get to my goal. Hoping for onederland tomorrow!

OMG that's great that you are so close to the ones Junior Guru. It will feel so good to step on a scale at a drs office and not have them go up and up with that stupid bar balance thing. I hate that. I never announce oh just start higher bc I'm 288. I stand in silence as they move the bar on the scale. You are doing great! I think 160 will be my goal weight.

Well today was the third day I hopped on the scale and I was still below 200, so I am going to claim victory! I am in ONEDERLAND! Finally!

It took me 10 months and one week to get here and I plan on staying! Good luck to ally hose who are trying to get here. It is possible!

First' date=' is my starting weight, my heaviest, my current weight or my weight the day of surgery? (after a 2 week liquid diet)

Second, how do I decide my goal weight? Do I look at a healthy BMI for my height? Do I just subtract 100 pounds? Do I use my senior year of high school weight? My lowest adult weight? HELP

I weigh 288. At 175 I looked really healthy and good (over 10 years ago) but that is far from the weight the charts say I should be.

I am 5'9.

Please tell me how you figured out a realistic goal weight and a suggested one for me based on what I just wrote[/quote']

I am 5'8" and told my dr that I was shooting for 160-165. He said "nope"! He wants me at 190 but 180 would be ok. He said that he will not wait until my BMI is at 17 to start worrying about me or thinking about removing the band. I know that I'm in a size 10 at 180 but was wanting a single digit. A size 8 would be ideal for me. I changed my goal weight to 180 and we will see when I get there. That means I have 61 lbs to goal!

Well today was the third day I hopped on the scale and I was still below 200' date=' so I am going to claim victory! I am in ONEDERLAND! Finally!

It took me 10 months and one week to get here and I plan on staying! Good luck to ally hose who are trying to get here. It is possible![/quote']

Woohoo! Happy dancing for you! How's the air in onederland ?