Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why???when???up 4 Pounds?!?!?!?!?!

Good Morning,

OK first of all..I know weight loss is s bonus during this period yadda yadda....

BACKGROUND:

I had my surgery last Tuesday (March 21st). This past Tuesday I started mushies and Thursday at my post-op apptt. my weight loss was -16 pounds since surgery. Following so far?

Today I am up 4 pounds. Now mind you I am no where able to get in over 1200 calories a day.

QUESTION:

How is it that my weight is up by 4 pounds?

If it's due to my body going into starvation and now holding on to the weight..HOW LONG BEFORE IT REALIZES I AM NO LONGER STARVING IT?

This just doesn't seem to make logical sense to me since I'm not eating over 1200 calories a day (average of 1000)

Has anybody else experienced this..and what was the outcome after a few weeks?

CONCERN:

You know how I'm sure most of us had doubts about this working..I myself can't even imagine being able to loss this weight.

Is my body going to just not let go of this fluff ?

I'm hoping this is a normal thing...PLEASE SHARE WITH ME YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH THIS. I'm feeling a little confused about this today.

Thank you

Cristina

:help: :eek:

I haven't yet been banded, but I've heard many bandsters here say they gained weight after their surgery. I'm sure many will chime in and tell you the reasons why, but you will lose it. I think it's a pretty common experience from what I've read on this forum. Don't give up on yourself. You've just begun an incredible journey. Good luck.

There's a lot of great advise on here, so just wait for someone to chime in who is already banded and been there and done that. Wish I could be more help to you.

This is a very common phenomenon, and often happens shortly after we come off the post-op liquid diet. DON'T WORRY!! You're still 12 lbs down since LAST WEEK!!! What on earth are you worried about?

Believe it, this is NORMAL. You are not weird, your body is not stubborn, this is just normal rebound after the post-op dramatic loss. Relax. :hug:

Yup, I experienced the same thing too. It's frustrating, but normal. Hang in there - you're doing great! :eek:

i would guess that the body also retains Water when it senses a lack of food/water intake. I wouldnt worry about it, this is totally normal

Even if you are prepaired for this, but once you move from a liquid diet to a solid food diet you will "gain weight" because your colon which was empty now has mass in it.

You have not gained fat, just matter in your colon. Sorry this came as such a shock. Relax and be kind to yourself!

All that up/down stuff is Water fluctuation in your body. The scales really are not your friend on a daily basis - although I wish I could listen to my own advice. I've put on 4lb since yesterday and I had a really good day, didnt eat anything I shouldnt and went to the gym. Grrrr.

same thing happened to me. no appetite for 6-7 days then all of a sudden you are out of the haze of pain meds, pain, resting, and beginning to get back to work. and of a sudden... oh, hmmm. this mushie is good. and it went down. hmm. no problem. mass in colon. weight gain. it all makes sense.

Oh yeah. I Was banded 2/22 and lost 17 punds right off the bat. Then I got down to 20 pounds off then went up 5 when I was eating like 1000 calories a day. I was so mad! But then I realized how dehydrated I had been. I had to add salt to my "food" was so dry. That was Fluid back that I really needed. I have my first fill on 4/11 and I am still playing the fluid game with about 3 pounds back and forth. I posted about my concerns and everyone said they experienced the same thing. I think you are on track. :eek:

For anybody please don't feel bad I was banded 6-18-05 and have only lost a total for 15lbs have had 6 fills and I am really, really frustated. However I just keep trying and trying.

Sunflower

Sunflower -

Wow... I feel really badly for you. Please talk to your Dr. ASAP. There has to be something he/she can do for you. Maybe the band they used on you is too large for your stomach? I know they come in several sizes. It couldn't hurt to talk to your Dr. Best of luck to you and keep the faith!

You know how I'm sure most of us had doubts about this working..I myself can't even imagine being able to loss this weight.

Eat right, exercise and positive thinking......I know I can ......I know I will......I have already begun!!!

HOLLA :)

Oh boy, I could have written this post! The second I started solids, I gained four pounds, and there I have remained for weeks! I go for my first fill tomorrow and am hoping it curbs my appetite. I had been eating 1,200 calories a day, but when I gained the four pounds, I kind of got mad and started eating a bit more. I still haven't exceeded 2,000 per day, but I"m soooo hungry (I think from starving myself with liquids for a month!) that it's not easy to control my intake. I have high hope my first fill will cut the amount I can eat. Hang in there; it's a long process but it will be worth it in the end!

Sign me up! Same thing happened to me, only it was like 6 pounds! And I had only lost 17. Totally normal though. I think Vinesqueen has a great point about the colon -- I never even thought of that!