Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie Here Previous Gastric Bypass Patient

Hi there. I wanted to join this group hoping to find someone else that maybe in the same situation I am. Please do not judge or make judgement as to what I have done.

I had gastric bypass in June 2004 and I had this done as an open procedure. Lost about 120-125 pounds. and was really good with that. I then started exercising and doing the "Curves" thing. I then discovered that I had a golf ball size incisional hernia from this surgery. Due to a job layoff and losing insurance I wasn't able to have this fixed. Finally I was able to get this fixed in March of 2011 and at this point it was the size of a grapefruit. Found this great surgeon who also happened to be a baratric surgeon as well. He fixed my problem or so I thought but only to discover a few months later it had reappeared in a lower part of my "tummy" so I then had a 2nd surgery done. Thinking all is fine I joined a gym and started to walk on the treadmill and the bike because I finally was glad to be able to get exercise in. But right before I decided to get a personal trainer to help with my muscles I discovered a 3rd hernia! WOW that was about all I could handle. I went back to the dr and we talked at length about having the surgery again and since he did the lap bands on other patients we decided to have it done on me since he was already in there. Not really even sure how this was approved by insurance but they did. I just had the surgery 4 weeks ago and he did about an 8x8 mesh patch to cover my previsous incision from breast bone to belly and then from the right to the left...and then we did the lap band. He said my pouch looked really good....it was not overstretched or anything of the sorts. I have not gained any weight back from the 125 but maybe a few pounds here and there but have always maintained the same weight for at least 7 years after i stopped losing. but I'm still at about 240 pounds and I feel that additional restriction is worth it.

Since my surgery I have really changed my eating. I know longer eat my Breakfast all morning. I time myself to 30 mins only per meal. Something that i got out of habit doing. I stopped drinking dt coke....drink more Water etc.

So I went back to my dr yesterday for a check up and a fill. I lost 11 pounds the first week but nothing since so he did a fill of 3 1/2 cc's. Sounds like a lot compared to what I have read. But hopefully it will work. Is this a lot? Is there anyone esle that has had the gastric bypass and then the band? Just curious if so what their experiences are and if its different for us than others?

Thanks! Shannon

I haven't had the same journey as you, but wanted to wish you all the best. Cheers

I haven't had the same surgery but am on the lower end of the scale. I began at 195 pounds on October 4, 2012 and am currently at 183. The first 8 melted off and now the weight loss has slowed down considerably. But as long as i'm losing, its all worth it.The doctor warned me that my weight loss will be slow since I'm not "as" heavy. Just remember that u were much heavier when you initially got the gastric band so the weight loss was much quicker. The more you weigh, the faster you lose. Both you and I are at a weight were our body feels comfortable. So I guess we will have to kick it on overdrive and hope our body pushes itself. For me, i know I still have to work on a better diet. I do have a little snack everyday and that needs to stop. Be true to yourself and have patience. Good Luck!

oopsy, I meant when you first got the gastric bypass

I thought I read on here yesterday that there is a thread on LBT called BOB

Band over bypass. You should be able to find ppl who can relate.

I wish you all the best!

Went back and found thread. I was wrong no special board, but you could start one.

Looks like one other person has BOB.

Thanks! Looks like i'm going to be the start of something huh! I love to share any information that I have received or learned as I go so this should be interesting! And I did find the BOB thread and will repost my story there as well Thanks!

Thanks! Looks like i'm going to be the start of something huh! I love to share any information that I have received or learned as I go so this should be interesting! And I did find the BOB thread and will repost my story there as well Thanks!

Good!

I'd be interested to hear whats going on with bob.

My sister had bypass yrs ago when they ripped you from stem to stern. She lost about as much as you, but the last couple yrs she's put a lot back on. She has a head problem, switch food for alcohol. She wants LBS, but my Dr won't do it. Not b/c its not safe, but b/c of head issues.

Good luck!

Funny thing is when I had my RNY I chose to have it done as opened as I heard chances of a hernia is good and that most insurance will pay for tummytuck when they did the hernia repair....guess what...as all things happen weird for me my hernia was at the very top of my incision there for did not qualify for tummy tuck.... go figure lol but for this thinking i'm sure thats why i had three hernia surgeries! LOL

My sister got the mini Tummy Tuck with her repair.

Hi there. I wanted to join this group hoping to find someone else that maybe in the same situation I am. Please do not judge or make judgement as to what I have done.

I had gastric bypass in June 2004 and I had this done as an open procedure. Lost about 120-125 pounds. and was really good with that. I then started exercising and doing the "Curves" thing. I then discovered that I had a golf ball size incisional hernia from this surgery. Due to a job layoff and losing insurance I wasn't able to have this fixed. Finally I was able to get this fixed in March of 2011 and at this point it was the size of a grapefruit. Found this great surgeon who also happened to be a baratric surgeon as well. He fixed my problem or so I thought but only to discover a few months later it had reappeared in a lower part of my "tummy" so I then had a 2nd surgery done. Thinking all is fine I joined a gym and started to walk on the treadmill and the bike because I finally was glad to be able to get exercise in. But right before I decided to get a personal trainer to help with my muscles I discovered a 3rd hernia! WOW that was about all I could handle. I went back to the dr and we talked at length about having the surgery again and since he did the lap bands on other patients we decided to have it done on me since he was already in there. Not really even sure how this was approved by insurance but they did. I just had the surgery 4 weeks ago and he did about an 8x8 mesh patch to cover my previsous incision from breast bone to belly and then from the right to the left...and then we did the lap band. He said my pouch looked really good....it was not overstretched or anything of the sorts. I have not gained any weight back from the 125 but maybe a few pounds here and there but have always maintained the same weight for at least 7 years after i stopped losing. but I'm still at about 240 pounds and I feel that additional restriction is worth it.

Since my surgery I have really changed my eating. I know longer eat my Breakfast all morning. I time myself to 30 mins only per meal. Something that i got out of habit doing. I stopped drinking dt coke....drink more Water etc.

So I went back to my dr yesterday for a check up and a fill. I lost 11 pounds the first week but nothing since so he did a fill of 3 1/2 cc's. Sounds like a lot compared to what I have read. But hopefully it will work. Is this a lot? Is there anyone esle that has had the gastric bypass and then the band? Just curious if so what their experiences are and if its different for us than others?

Thanks! Shannon

Hi Shannon, how have you been doing with your band over bypass now that its been 6 months? I just had mine done on Friday May 10th, so I havent lost anything yet. I was just curious to hear from others who have had it done. Would love to hear from you.