Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre Surgery Liver Shrinking Diet

Im mew here, and i just neededto get some things off my chest...

So I start my 700 cal liver shrinking diet tomorrow, and will do that for two weeks. Then surgery is in very early November.

I'm just not understanding how they think I'm capable of doing 700 cals for TWO weeks without the help of something like the lap band. I mean isn't the lap band supposed to be a TOOL to help us do something we have a hard time doing on our own??? Like, say, eating very little food?

I'm just scared I won't have the willpower when my depression hits hard in the evening. I use food for the dopamine surges which lift my depression temporarily.

However, I will say this... Usually once I've been eating very little, and eating healthy on top of that, I start to find sugary foods disgusting, and I sometimes flat out forget to eat. So part of me thinks I will be ok, but mostly I'm nervous about the first 72 hours of it.

When I think of all that being heavy has put me through, I am so certain this is a great choice for me.

I don't suppose anyone else ever worried they would somehow fail, and stay heavy after the surgery?? :)

You will be amazed at how well you do... After the 72 hours! I looked at the person who gave me the preop diet and I said " you're joking right?

Shocker ... We all made it through. Your mindset needs a little adjustment though, think of it as it truly is, a tool for a successful surgery, not about losing weight. This phase can mean the difference between having 3 little holes in your belly and a relatively easy recovery OR being cut open.

Very good point. We are cash pay, so I definitely can't afford to get cut all the way open!

Suggestion to increase your dopamine surges, exercise. It has been proved with research in depressed persons that exercise increase positive endorphins and elevates mood. So I suggest a couple of walks during the day, one in the morning and one in the evening after dinner, because post op your going to need to get moving also in order to lose the weight. The band helps but you do the majority of the work. And for the preop diet, you will make it, yes the first few days are hard but you will appreciate the fact that you did it, it helps you to learn to control your hunger and another thing do not cheat. If you cheat preop you will cheat post op. Personally I hate the word cheat, I like to say I made a poor choose because I do not consider this a diet, I consider living with lap band a life choice. Good luck and we will see you on the other side.

Thank you! I'm thinking of going to a food addictions counselor in conjunction with this, because I am quite aware how much of a change this is in my life.

I need to lose about 15 lbs before my back surgeon will allow me to do any leisure walking or exercise. Weird right? It's just a unique problem to the type of back injury I have. I CAN use a walker if I have to, to take the weight off by using my arms to push down on the walker and bear the weight. So I might look into that. My spine is too compressed right now, so it's all just a bit of a mess. But I'm untangling my mess just a little at a time. ;) Starting with food choices and a new tool to help out a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using LapBandTalk

Counseling is an excellent choice. The mental part of this journey is the hardest, getting your head to override your tummy is key to success. Good luck to you.

I'm new also, I start my liquid diet on Tuesday and I'm scared also. I did a liquid diet last year and did really well except I did eat a sensible dinner so this is a little nerve wracking that I won't even be able to eat dinner :(((. Yes, I know the first couple of days are the worst. I am so not looking forward to this but I am looking forward to getting started with the band.

Hmmm. I'm one week pre op and my surgeon has me on the low carb or phase one of Atkins. Then liquids for 2 days pre op. Anyone else doing that or?

This was the diet and practice my physician follows in south carolina for band patients.

I had a little bit of a hard time with Pre op diet and I found that doing my Meal Replacement shakes for Breakfast and lunch was much more bearable as by the time I made it home at night I was feeling like I needed to eat and chew something. I went out to eat once with my husband during the Pre op diet and the calories I over Sid it with was the Pre dinner salad (or rather the salad dressing) and I added some extra grilled shrimp to my chicken. The calories were over but I really tried to avoid anything sweet (cake Cookies pie ice cream) because that really irritates the liver and if the liver is too large the surgeon cannot get to your stomach during surgery. If you are planning a laparoscopic it is possible the surgeon may decide to do a full open surgery or stop the procedure all together. The lap band is just a tool if you chose to take it more calories you will always find a way to lap band or not and if you are already considering that your depression will interfere with your Pre op diet I would seriously consider if you are ready fr lap band you have already made yourself believe that you need food in the evening for not feeling depressed that isn't going to magically change because of the lap band. If you are wanting to release hormones that make you feel good, go for a walk. Endorphins are the best for depression and a lot healthier than eating your feelings an thinking that is 100% normal... Remember 700 calories is probably what everybody SHOULD be eating Portion Control is out of control.

How about swimming? At my heaviest I had a very bad knee problems and could barely walk. 2 years post op I can now do 2 and half hours of walking daily.

Swimming sounds good! Fear of bathing suits while big... Well I'm sure y'all know what I mean! But it is what it is, and I just have to bite the bullet, embrace the suck (as the military says). And quit whining and DO it. I know I can!

Luckily my diet is full of low cal foods and not just shakes. Certain veggies, one fruit a day, three Protein shakes, etc. so I think I'll be ok about chewing frustrations. Til after the surgery, that is!

I don't believe I HAVE to eat in the evenings to take care of my depression, it's just somethingi did when not thinking about it to self medicate.

My psychiatrist has got me on different meds to keep the dip in the evening from happening. So far pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using LapBandTalk

When I started out i was 365 pounds. My first day of swimming I walked into the pool area in my fat lady swim dress in front of the high school swim team (they rent part of the pool) AND about 50 of their parents. If I can do that ANYONE can. Highly recommend a Water proof MP3 player makes the time go by so much faster.

Good idea! You are a strong person that's for sure!

Becky/26yrsold/Idaho. Band Date Nov. 5. 255/goal 165.