Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am scheduled for 11/20 and I have been waiting for this day forever. But in the past week I am wondering if maybe this isn't for me after all. I lost 20 pounds on my own so far, losing about 2 pounds per week. I am not starving myself, just eating more sensibly by making better food choices and watching my portions. I also walk about an hour a day, five days a week.

I see a lot of banded people really aren't losing as much weight as I would have thought. I know that it is a slow process when compared to gastric bypass but I am wondering why I am losing more without the band. But then I look at some of you who have had unbelievable success with it and it inspires me. What should I do?

Nobody can answer that for you. You have to figure that out for yourself. I have had great success with the band personally. I am down 99 pounds since July of 2011. I lost 36 pounds before surgery and 63 since surgery June 4th. I am feeling great and most days I am so glad i had the surgery. Once in awhile I wish the band wasn't there so I could stuff my face with all the jubk food I wanted :) Good luck to you.

Nobody can answer that for you. You have to figure that out for yourself. I have had great success with the band personally. I am down 99 pounds since July of 2011. I lost 36 pounds before surgery and 63 since surgery June 4th. I am feeling great and most days I am so glad i had the surgery. Once in awhile I wish the band wasn't there so I could stuff my face with all the jubk food I wanted :) Good luck to you.

What you said about wishing you could stuff your face with all the junk food you wanted... yeah right there, that is why the band is for me!

Another spin on it is, can you keep the weight off? The big thing for me in getting the band is keeping it off. I have lost 100 lbs twice, 40 lbs, so on and so on, and it comes back every time and more comes back every time with it.

Another spin on it is' date=' can you keep the weight off? The big thing for me in getting the band is keeping it off. I have lost 100 lbs twice, 40 lbs, so on and so on, and it comes back every time and more comes back every time with it.[/quote']

See, 2012, that was my main reason for wanting the band. I am great on a diet but I am SUPER AWESOME at putting it back on, lmao! Thank you for reminding me why I wanted to take this journey in the first place.

I am scheduled for 11/20 and I have been waiting for this day forever. But in the past week I am wondering if maybe this isn't for me after all. I lost 20 pounds on my own so far, losing about 2 pounds per week. I am not starving myself, just eating more sensibly by making better food choices and watching my portions. I also walk about an hour a day, five days a week.

I see a lot of banded people really aren't losing as much weight as I would have thought. I know that it is a slow process when compared to gastric bypass but I am wondering why I am losing more without the band. But then I look at some of you who have had unbelievable success with it and it inspires me. What should I do?

from your post......you seen different people losing or not losing compared to others

people are all shapes, sizes and physical abilities

some try hard and follow rules..some lose slower..some lose faster (whom are larger sometimes) and then some are just half assed living the band diet and just mosing along.....you cant compare what

you may or may not do until you do it......

sure, the bypass will help you lose....but unless eating habits change, you can easily gain weight or not lose at all or lose well and gain it back.......aka carnie

if you want the band, make up your mind to get it an follow your dr's orders and do what you have to do

or dont get it and remain where you are........

if i didnt, i have no doubt id be over 400 or damn near it...

what do you want? only you know honey :rolleyes:

from your post......you seen different people losing or not losing compared to others

people are all shapes' date=' sizes and physical abilities

some try hard and follow rules..some lose slower..some lose faster (whom are larger sometimes) and then some are just half assed living the band diet and just mosing along.....you cant compare what

you may or may not do until you do it......

sure, the bypass will help you lose....but unless eating habits change, you can easily gain weight or not lose at all or lose well and gain it back.......aka carnie

if you want the band, make up your mind to get it an follow your dr's orders and do what you have to do

or dont get it and remain where you are........

if i didnt, i have no doubt id be over 400 or damn near it...

what do you want? only you know honey :rolleyes:[/quote']

The bypass was never an option although I have 3 friends who it worked wonders for. I am just not willing to go through all that.

I thought my mind was definitely made up. I did all my appointments, even surpassed what I was recommended to lose pre-op. Maybe because it is all becoming a reality now and I am scared. I know in my heart it is what I want, what I physically need, I am just afraid of failing. Again.

u need to do whats best for you. i think everyone of us has tried and tried and has had success at the yo-yo diet. Think of it this way look what u can do without the band, imagine what u can achieve with it. The band will not do it alone you have to work with your band. I know folks that have the band and they look the same. Ask yourself if your ready for a life change. Good luck with whatever you decide to do, remember this a choice u need to make for yourself. ;)

The bypass was never an option although I have 3 friends who it worked wonders for. I am just not willing to go through all that.

I thought my mind was definitely made up. I did all my appointments, even surpassed what I was recommended to lose pre-op. Maybe because it is all becoming a reality now and I am scared. I know in my heart it is what I want, what I physically need, I am just afraid of failing. Again.

failing something doesnt make you bad

to not try is wasting your life

you deserve to be healthy

you deserve to be you

band or no band

like you, i was not willing to do the bypass either..

This is a very personal decision. You have to go into this with the attitude you will succeed. I also have lost the same 40-60 lbs over and over again over the past 20 years. I chose to have lap band because I was sick and tired of losing and gaining, and more than that I was sick and tired of being FAT!. Yes it has taken me 2 years to lose all of my weight, yes I was disappointed when I did not reach goal in a year. Yes i only lost an average of 1-2 or less per week. But I lost it all, and never on any diet did I ever lose it all. Never on any diet did I ever look like I do now. Lap Band was not a diet to me it was and is a way of living. Personally I do not think your head is in the right place for this surgery. I would recommend you do some more counseling before you have the surgery, you need to know with out a shadow of a doubt this is what you want. I knew this was what I wanted and I knew I would make it work because I was fed up with the old me, I want to be healthy. You need to talk to someone and dig really deep into why you are questioning your decision and you also need to realize that there are no guarantees with WLS or diets. The only person who can make you lose weight is you with or with out the band. Good luck in your decision.

TEARS!!!! .....I'm in the EXACT position you are in. Only I have surgery on Tuesday. I'm glad to hear I'm not in this alone. Like you, I know I can loose this on my own. My biggest problem is NOT EATING. I'm in this position b/c i eat less than i should. I'm scared I will loose the same on the band as I would on my own. I'm going to go thru counseling again and in 6 months if I loose more than I expected to on my own then I don't need to go thru putting a device in my body. But this lifestyle change is up to you. To me, this about you emotionally. Can you accept this knowing you can do it on your own? Either way I'm rooting for you!!!!! Woohoooo!!!! Lol you'll be fine with it or without it.

TEARS!!!! .....I'm in the EXACT position you are in. Only I have surgery on Tuesday. I'm glad to hear I'm not in this alone. Like you' date=' I know I can loose this on my own. My biggest problem is NOT EATING. I'm in this position b/c i eat less than i should. I'm scared I will loose the same on the band as I would on my own. I'm going to go thru counseling again and in 6 months if I loose more than I expected to on my own then I don't need to go thru putting a device in my body. But this lifestyle change is up to you. To me, this about you emotionally. Can you accept this knowing you can do it on your own? Either way I'm rooting for you!!!!! Woohoooo!!!! Lol you'll be fine with it or without it.[/quote']

Thank you. I wish you the best whether you decide to do it or not. ((Hugs))

I was scared the weeks leading up to my surgery, I had second thoughts even when they were puttiing me to sleep. Even on the day of my surgery I had major stomach issues due to being so nervous. But I got over it because I knew deep down inside what my future would be like if I didnt do it & all hythe work I had did to get to this day. Its been 5 years and 117 lb lost to this day, I was a size 30/32 & now Im a size 10/12. The only advice that I give new bandsters are to not give up if the weight loss is slow. Always to remember that the band is a tool to help you to get healthy and live a long life. Please keep us updated on your progress and I wish you the best of luck. :D

I was scared the weeks leading up to my surgery' date=' I had second thoughts even when they were puttiing me to sleep. Even on the day of my surgery I had major stomach issues due to being so nervous. But I got over it because I knew deep down inside what my future would be like if I didnt do it & all hythe work I had did to get to this day. Its been 5 years and 117 lb lost to this day, I was a size 30/32 & now Im a size 10/12. The only advice that I give new bandsters are to not give up if the weight loss is slow. Always to remember that the band is a tool to help you to get healthy and live a long life. Please keep us updated on your progress and I wish you the best of luck. :D[/quote']

I love this!! You lost all this weight and kept it off all this time. That is amazing. I am sure I will be fine. I am just having some anxiety.

5% of the peopl who loose major amounts of weight keep it off for good. That's a bad figure. Pre band I lost 100 pounds 3 times in my life and gained it all back.