Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I Nuts To Consider Having My Band Removed??

At my highest I was 286, at surgery(3/2010) I was 252. My last fill was 11/ 2010.

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 1/ 2011 so no fill allowed while going through surgery & chemo(caught early, no spread, I'm fine).

Weight went back up to 243 during treatment thanks to steriods, but took it off within three months of my last chemo treatment, which is when I started taking Arimidex(breast cancer preventative med).

Arimidex plus menopause for most women means there's that last 10 pounds that won't budge. For me it seems like an endless weight circle of 217-223.

Complicating and causing me more than a little concern is the, for lack of a better word, "rules" my seems to have imposed:

*Can't eat before 10am; thankfully, coffee goes down okay.

*Can't get Breakfast down(1/4c oatmeal, 1/4c egg sub, 2 slices turkey bacon or yogurt and fruit) in under 45 minutes.

*Can't be wearing a bra or anything remotely fitted around my waist - food will not go down.

*Can't sit down to eat - three bites and I'm backlogged.

*Attempt to sit down to dinner - see above - then run to the bathroom, throw up food plus a nasty looking mucus ball(TMI-I know!)

Then - surprise! I can eat..as long as I stand up to do it.

*Hungry all the time - and it's not in my head - my stomach growls so loudly my co-workers crack up in meetings.

*Obsessed w/chocolate - never was before. It's either because it will go down and gives me instant(temporary) energy or because if the serotonin release.

*Vomitting can be triggered by something as small as the thin slice of a radish or a 1/4 tsp size piece of chicken and can go on for hours.

*After throwing up, the area around my port seems to puff up. Despite having my haital hernia fixed a surgery, I feel like I have acid reflux.

I dread going back to my WLS and hearing that I just didn't try hard enough. Yet when I list it all, it does seem like there's something more going on here and it's a bit ridiculous for me to continue to suffer.

Anyone been in a similar situation?

Well... if that is how it is for you I'd want mine out.

Are you still with no fill, because it completely sounds like you are way too tight?

You've certainly had some major mitigating circumstances to contend with, and no doubt your treatments have impacted your system. I would hope that any doctor would be sensitive to that and not "judge" a patient.

I feel it's important for you to explore your options; perhaps your band is no longer placed properly, some of the medications may be contributing to your ongoing issues with eating. Having a consultation with your band surgeon just seems like a good idea before you choose to remove it.

Best wishes for continued health...

You sure have been through a lot. I can empathize that it may be overwhelming right now.

However, I agree with Carole, before you make that decision please consult with your surgeon as there may be other issues (such as a slipped band) or something that could be easily remedied. You have come so far and it would be sad if you made a decision out of frustration without weighing all your options. The band when working and treated properly, can be a life saving mechanism for you as you know from your initial research. When it comes down to it, maybe it is no longer right for you but please make that an informed decision with your doctor. I would think your surgeon wouldn't judge you as you have been through quite a challenging set of cirumstances.

Best wishes to you to fighting the cancer and finding your way with or without the band.

The above feedback is what I was about to say. Talk to your doc about what's going on. Remember, they have no right to "judge" you based off of what you have done already and YOU know you have made the effort.

It could be a slipped band or your band is too tight. I didn't have the exact same thing as you but mine was a little too tight for about a month. I had a hard time eating but I was actually hungry. I wanted to eat and would get so frustrated that I couldn't that I had an emotional breakdown one night. To not be able to do one of the few things you have to do to survive (eat) and not be able to is frustrating.

Talk to the doc's and see what they think. If they try to chastise you for what you have done, then stand up for yourself. This is about support and guidance, not judgements.

Thanks for all the spot-on feedback. You're all right - I need to suck it up and make an appointment. Part of my concern is that my WLS practice has had most of the staff turnover and I don't know who I'd be dealing with. To answer the question re; how much is in my band? Good question - no matter how many times I asked, my WLS wouldn't tell me. All I know is that there is Fluid in the band..

I agree it sounds like u r too tight

Thanks for all the spot-on feedback. You're all right - I need to suck it up and make an appointment. Part of my concern is that my WLS practice has had most of the staff turnover and I don't know who I'd be dealing with. To answer the question re; how much is in my band? Good question - no matter how many times I asked, my WLS wouldn't tell me. All I know is that there is Fluid in the band..

Awesome! Glad to hear you will be following up w/ your surgeon's office. :)

*Can't eat before 10am; thankfully, coffee goes down okay. Not sure why this is a problem. Are you hungry? If you are then it is an issue but otherwise it's not. We do not have to eat an early Breakfast.< /span>

*Can't get breakfast down(1/4c oatmeal, 1/4c egg sub, 2 slices turkey bacon or yogurt and fruit) in under 45 minutes.It sounds like you are trying to eat too much and also things that could be difficult. Why not try cutting out the sub and the bacon and just eating oats or yogurt and berries or other soft fruit.< /span>

*Can't be wearing a bra or anything remotely fitted around my waist - food will not go down.That sounds odd. Are you saying that your bra sits around your waist? Or do your bra and items lower down at waist level all give you problems. Maybe your clothes are too tight and constrictive.

*Can't sit down to eat - three bites and I'm backlogged.I have heard this before. When you sit are you sitting slumped on the sofa or nice and straight at a table? If you are sitting up straight and you are having issues then maybe you are eating too quickly and not waiting for 1 bite to go down before trying the next.

*Attempt to sit down to dinner - see above - then run to the bathroom, throw up food plus a nasty looking mucus ball(TMI-I know!)Probably too tight or just not eating slowly enough and chewing well enough.

Then - surprise! I can eat..as long as I stand up to do it. So you are eating, throwing up and then finding it easy to eat? Maybe you have first bite syndrome. Try having a warm drink before you eat. Eat the first bite very slowly. Make sure it is really well chewed and then wait a couple of minutes before you eat the rest of the meal. Sometimes the first bite causes the oesophagus to spasm and cause problems. Taking extra care and starting the meal extra slowly can help.

*Hungry all the time - and it's not in my head - my stomach growls so loudly my co-workers crack up in meetings.Stomach growling does not mean you are hungry. Mine does it all the time. Before I've eaten, when I'm eating, after I've eaten, in the middle of the night etc. Sometimes it is so loud it could wake the dead.Most bandsters have noisy digestive systems.

*Obsessed w/chocolate - never was before. It's either because it will go down and gives me instant(temporary) energy or because if the serotonin release.Me too. If you say it is because it will go down then that proably indicates you are too tight.

*Vomitting can be triggered by something as small as the thin slice of a radish or a 1/4 tsp size piece of chicken and can go on for hours.Normal. It all depends on how well the food was chewed and if it got caught. Some foods can be really difficult to eat. Radishes,lettuce,celery,grape skin etc. It is a matter of trial and error to work out what works for you and what doesn't. Even then it can change from day to day.

*After throwing up, the area around my port seems to puff up. Despite having my haital hernia fixed a surgery, I feel like I have acid refluxThrowing up does cause acid reflux.

I think you need to hang on before going through more surgery and getting your band removed. It is quite possible that your band is too tight. I think all the issues that you are having can be quite easily resolved.

I'll try to answer the above:

1) Considering I'm up and on the move around 6am, having to wait until 10am is a bit much especially because by that time I'm starving.

2) I like variety and never actually finish any meal - my dogs love me! Nevertheless what I can get down of any of the above is tiny - like a bite or two of each.

3) Don't have boobs anymore - I wear a mastectomy bra which fits like every other bra around my rib cage.

4) Yes, I'm sitting up straight at a table - especially while trying to get through a business lunch wearing a bra and fitted, but not too tight pants. Extra weird...when I'm home and bra-free, but wearing sweat pants and sitting at the table it happens.

5) Will try it! But it seems to happen regardless. Take one bite, chew it 25+ times, swallow and immediately feel blocked and need to stand up.

6) I'm hungry. It feels like my throat is full but my stomach is empty.

7) chocolate speaks for itself

8) Just feels like there should be some safe foods but I can't tell from one day to the next so especially any eating out I try to stick to mush type foods. Had a mortifying experience at a conference this week. No choice for dinner...tough roast beef, steamed veggies and potato wedge. Three pinky tip bites of the beef and I had to excuse myself three time to go the the bathroom.

Now I'm reading that no band lasts beyond 10 years any many no more than two or three years, so it'll have to be replaced - which insurance won't pay for.

So the best thing to do is go and see your Dr and discuss it with him. Step 1 would be to remove some Fluid and see if that helps. Step 2, if necessary have all the Fluid removed and leave the band empty for a while. Step 3 if step 1 and 2 have not helped then consider having your band removed.

I know that I would want to try everything I could first before going through more surgery which may be unnecessary.

I don't know about bands not lasting more than 10 years but I don't see that as a reason to get it removed now. If it has to be removed or replaced in 10 years why not do it then. Most prosthetics need replacing at some time. You wouldn't have an artificial hip removed because it is going to need replacing in 15 years would you?

But in the end it is your decision. If you really feel that you want your band removed now then go for it. :)

PS. A lot of bandsters have a Protein Shake for breakfast. It solves the issue of wanting breakfast but being too tight too eat in the am.

Well, I'm not planning to run to my WLS and demand removal. I've had enough surgeries to last a lifetime. I may have to have it removed regardless due to a potential breast reconstruction surgery I'm considering. Let's just say it would transform my "jelly roll" into a new "rack" - and where would my port go? Ha!

Sitting here at my desk. Have't eaten since around lunch(yogurt) and feel like I'm having heartburn. Something isn't right.

At my highest I was 286' date=' at surgery(3/2010) I was 252. My last fill was 11/ 2010.

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 1/ 2011 so no fill allowed while going through surgery & chemo(caught early, no spread, I'm fine).

Weight went back up to 243 during treatment thanks to steriods, but took it off within three months of my last chemo treatment, which is when I started taking Arimidex(breast cancer preventative med).

Arimidex plus menopause for most women means there's that last 10 pounds that won't budge. For me it seems like an endless weight circle of 217-223.

Complicating and causing me more than a little concern is the, for lack of a better word, "rules" my seems to have imposed:

*Can't eat before 10am; thankfully, coffee goes down okay.

*Can't get Breakfast down(1/4c oatmeal, 1/4c egg sub, 2 slices turkey bacon or yogurt and fruit) in under 45 minutes.

*Can't be wearing a bra or anything remotely fitted around my waist - food will not go down.

*Can't sit down to eat - three bites and I'm backlogged.

*Attempt to sit down to dinner - see above - then run to the bathroom, throw up food plus a nasty looking mucus ball(TMI-I know!)

Then - surprise! I can eat..as long as I stand up to do it.

*Hungry all the time - and it's not in my head - my stomach growls so loudly my co-workers crack up in meetings.

*Obsessed w/chocolate - never was before. It's either because it will go down and gives me instant(temporary) energy or because if the serotonin release.

*Vomitting can be triggered by something as small as the thin slice of a radish or a 1/4 tsp size piece of chicken and can go on for hours.

*After throwing up, the area around my port seems to puff up. Despite having my haital hernia fixed a surgery, I feel like I have acid reflux.

I dread going back to my WLS and hearing that I just didn't try hard enough. Yet when I list it all, it does seem like there's something more going on here and it's a bit ridiculous for me to continue to suffer.

Anyone been in a similar situation?[/quote']

Yes. Three years ago lap band in. Always a problem? I tried so hard! What I could eat one day the next I couldn't. Sitting with a few friends having coffee and after three sips it came up all over the table. The most I lost was 34 pounds. Wanted to loss 50 more. Have serous health problems and the 34 loss made me get off some meds and be able to walk better. But the uncertainty of eating was stressful to say the lest Then a year after it was in not only would I have to vomit but at times could not get the food out!!! Emergency room trips and trips to doctors office for refills , remove fills and finally remove all Fluid. Of course weight crept back on but I still had episodes of food getting stuck. Last week I got some stuck tried for two hours to get it up. Extreme pain, profuse sweating, faint. Could not swallow my own spit !!! 911 called and surgeon. Emergency surgery to remove it. That was last week doing ok but so upset.

RavenClaw779 first of all congradulations on beating breast cancer. I am also a breast cancer survivor. Diagnosed in 10/10. However I didn't get banded until 7/20 of this year. Chemo reaks havic on your digestive tract. I had a lot of the same issues and wasn't banded. Don't you love steriods!!!!

I'd be patient contact your WSL and discuss these issues. Take to heart some of the advise that was given from fellow posters. I was put on Tamoxafin and worried about getting weight off. Treatment put in into menopause. Since being banded I have lost almost 50 lbs. and wouldn't change a thing. Oh yeah I totally understand the bra thing. Hate them hate shopping for them. I find that my tight surgical bra is the most comfortable to wear. Bummer though since I lost weight I'll be shopping for bra's again soon. Good luck on your journey!!