Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

13 Days Post-Op And No Weight Loss. Completely Discouraged.

Since my surgery I have followed my post-op diet to the T. I also developed pneumonia on Day 4 although I used the spirometer faithfully. I'm currently on breathing treatments every four hours, steroids, oral antibiotics, cough Syrup in additional to a HUGE shot of Rocephin. I see my surgeon on Thursday and I am not happy. I haven't lost a single pound. What am I doing wrong?

Steroids, cough Syrup, meds? Think about it? Hard for your body to lose weight when it's preparing itself for illness. It's going to slow your metabolism to a crawl and hang onto as much fat as possible. Besides, most of the weight you aren't losing is just Water weight anyway. If you're taking all the meds you say you are, your body is probably hoarding fluids.

And you should not be concerned about losing weight until you have your first fill. You're still in the healing phase.

tmf

I am 3 weeks out and I did lose my first week post op, I haven't lost since. I understand that the food intake that we are at right now is slowing our metabolism, putting us into somewhat of a starvation mode and our body is holding onto everything. The first 6 weeks are for healing not losing. Once you start eating normal, exercising and get the right restriction, you should be fine.

Since my surgery I have followed my post-op diet to the T. I also developed pneumonia on Day 4 although I used the spirometer faithfully. I'm currently on breathing treatments every four hours, steroids, oral antibiotics, cough Syrup in additional to a HUGE shot of Rocephin. I see my surgeon on Thursday and I am not happy. I haven't lost a single pound. What am I doing wrong?

what are you doing wrong? are you serious??

why on earth would you think that?

are you eating pizza? are you making runs to burger king?

are you hiding snickers in the seat cushions?

if so, then no, you wont lose weight....

i mean really, look at what you wrote honey.

you are recovering from major surgery less than 2 weeks ago

and you have a serious issue right now and are on meds for this.

and you are worried about losing a single pound??

like wild and tmf said, losing anything the first month is

something you should not worry about

your insides are swollen and your body is recovering from being cut open...please rest and take care

of yourself (stay off the scale as it changes every time you drink or pee or poop). judge your loss by how lose your clothes are or inches lost.......

hang in there....it will get better

more concerned with your pnuemonia....

are you doing better with the breathing treatments?

First, you must realize the 4-6 weeks immediately following surgery are for healing, not losing. I'd put the scale away entirely for another month and give your body time to heal, especially since you're battling health issues beyond being banded.

Second, steroids are wicked when it comes to weight. I say this from much experience. You will retain A LOT of fluids while on them, so don't be surprised if you see scale go up temporarily. Drink a lot of Water, both while you're on them and for a week or so after, to help combat it.

Hang in there. Weight loss will come, but right now your focus needs to be strictly on healing and getting healthy again.

For me my weight loss sometimes happens in surprise chucks... Don't get on the scale every day or every week. I like to weigh every two weeks. I have times were it looks like I haven't lost anything in two weeks then two weeks later I get the fun kind of scale shock.

i am losing weight really slowly too, it gets frustrating sometimes (even though it's is partly my fault) but remind urself that slow and steady wins the race and that u'll have less skin issues later ;)

we haven't gained it over night.

also try Protein shakes and try measuring ur metabolism, mine is super slow and i am working on jumpstarting it. i don't lose any weight on liquid diets or when i eat baby portions! the only times when i really lost weight it was with 3 well balanced meals. it takes planning and i can be very lame about that. *kick i the butt for me

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. After my last post, my PCP called me back to his office because he was very concerned about the pneumonia not responding to the meds and steriods. After examination, he sent me straight to the emergency room where I stayed for the next eight hours. After additional xrays, a CT scan (due to possible blood clot in my lungs), two shots of Rocephin, three breathing treatments and a steroid injection (at one point there were two IV's in the same arm - both going strong), it was determined I had a viral respiratory infection with bronchial spasms and asthmatic symptoms ON TOP of pneumonia in my left lung. Geezzzzz.....I knew I was sick but this confirmation smacked me in the face. Its been 5 days since that ER visit and I'm finally starting to feel human again although an 8 hour work day is still kicking my butt. Good news is I'm starting to see changes in how my clothes fit and look on me. I'm staying off the scale for now (pinky promise to myself) and don't plan on getting it out until 2 weeks of my first fill. Again, thank you for your concern, encouragement and suggestions.

Geezzzzz is right! You take care. Remember, Jim Henson(Muppet creator) died from not getting medical attention.

tmf

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. After my last post' date=' my PCP called me back to his office because he was very concerned about the pneumonia not responding to the meds and steriods. After examination, he sent me straight to the emergency room where I stayed for the next eight hours. After additional xrays, a CT scan (due to possible blood clot in my lungs), two shots of Rocephin, three breathing treatments and a steroid injection (at one point there were two IV's in the same arm - both going strong), it was determined I had a viral respiratory infection with bronchial spasms and asthmatic symptoms ON TOP of pneumonia in my left lung. Geezzzzz.....I knew I was sick but this confirmation smacked me in the face. Its been 5 days since that ER visit and I'm finally starting to feel human again although an 8 hour work day is still kicking my butt. Good news is I'm starting to see changes in how my clothes fit and look on me. I'm staying off the scale for now (pinky promise to myself) and don't plan on getting it out until 2 weeks of my first fill. Again, thank you for your concern, encouragement and suggestions.[/quote']

Really, just take care!!!!

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. After my last post' date=' my PCP called me back to his office because he was very concerned about the pneumonia not responding to the meds and steriods. After examination, he sent me straight to the emergency room where I stayed for the next eight hours. After additional xrays, a CT scan (due to possible blood clot in my lungs), two shots of Rocephin, three breathing treatments and a steroid injection (at one point there were two IV's in the same arm - both going strong), it was determined I had a viral respiratory infection with bronchial spasms and asthmatic symptoms ON TOP of pneumonia in my left lung. Geezzzzz.....I knew I was sick but this confirmation smacked me in the face. Its been 5 days since that ER visit and I'm finally starting to feel human again although an 8 hour work day is still kicking my butt. Good news is I'm starting to see changes in how my clothes fit and look on me. I'm staying off the scale for now (pinky promise to myself) and don't plan on getting it out until 2 weeks of my first fill. Again, thank you for your concern, encouragement and suggestions.[/quote']

You poor dear! Get better!