Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band Removed Today! And A Question.

Wow, what a difference already!

I've decided that I hate anesthesia, but aside from that, everything went really well today. I think they took me back around 10 am and I was on my way home by 1:15!

I don't think I have near as much pain/discomfort as I did when the band was placed. I don't feel as bloated up from the gas they use to inflate the abdomen. My port hurts a little, kinda sore but the pain meds worked well.

My question is this: did those of you with band/port removal have a really REALLY big swollen area over the port incision? I have some bruising, but no bleeding, and I'm not concerned about the bruising, really. I bet the swelling is due to wrestling to get the port out. I have sent the office manager at my surgeon's office an email telling her about it. I'm really not too worried about the swelling, but I'm definitely watching it. Will go to dr if it gets worse.

Sure. I had it placed almost 3 years ago. 2 years ago I began getting stuck a lot and having pretty bad reflux. A year ago, the reflux got much worse and I'd wake up choking on reflux, even after taking a lot of antacids. At that point, I had a total unfill, but the problems didn't get much better. Within the last 5-6 months, even with the band empty, I was still getting stuck on practically every bite, and sometimes even Water. Began vomiting more. Vomited blood twice. Finally I decided something had to be done, so I had the upper endoscopy done two weeks ago, which showed ulcers in my stomach and erosions in my esophagus. No wonder I've been so miserable. Anyway, I can't say for sure that getting this band out will fix all those problems, I may always need to take meds for the reflux, but I can say for sure that I will be so much more comfortable once I'm healed from surgery. I have felt all the fluids I've been drinking today runnning straight down and not "pooling" in my throat/pouch. Much improvement already!

Wow im sorry to hear all of that, i am considering this lap band surgery and trying to get all the research i can get. Do you think the problems you are having are from the lap band or do you think you would have gotten them either way? Please be honest!

Hard to say. I wasn't always the most compliant patient...But I've read on here that many more compliant people than I am have had problems. I don't blame the band or my surgeon. It just wasn't for me. I like the "wrong" kinds of food too much to be a good candidate for this. I lost about 40 lb total but gained back about 8 or 10. I'd still like to lose about 30 more lb, but I'll either do it on my own, or I'll stay fat!

Good luck in your decision. There are good threads on this site, read up! And if you have any other questions, just ask!

doesnt sound like the band gave you these problems but probably made it harder to heal them. GL and good health to you.

line dancer

I had my band replaced 7 weeks ago. (First band had a leak). The port area was the last to heal probably because it had the most trauma. For the first few weeks, I felt the port area was swollen like there was a softball. It continued to shrink to baseball size, to golf ball size, etc. It was just scar tissue from port removal and placement of a new one in a new position. The area has softened up now. I am sure yours will too. Good luck to you!

Wow I'm sorry to hear all of that, i am considering this lap band surgery and trying to get all the research i can get. Do you think the problems you are having are from the lap band or do you think you would have gotten them either way? Please be honest!

Lindsey, complications to the band due happen, some are self induced by not following the rules and some just happen. I have been banded for 2 years and have had few problems and when I have it is because I ate a food that was not recommended, I failed to eat slow and chew adequately. Lap band is not for everyone, WLS is not for everyone. I feel physiological counseling and follow up is under utilized and pushed by the surgeons. All WLS patients are required to see a physiologist prior to surgery, my feeling is that there should be required follow up post op for the first 6 months to a year. Most obese people do not get obese from just eating alone, there is a lot of behavior and emotional issues related to our eating. Do your research well and know that this is hard work and the band can do nothing by it self it requires, dedication, accountability and constantly. Good luck in what ever decision you make.

More than likely the problems WERE directly caused by the band. If the OP didn't have GERD pre op and had issues eating with an empty band, then the band has to be the cause! There is nothing you can ingest, other than large doses of NSAIDs, that can give you these symptoms and results. So many are having this exact type of complications, it cannot be coincidence.

I've had my band empty 4 months and I'm still getting stuck, sometimes on liquids. My band has caused scar tissue to grow around the stomach and under the band. I have reflux too. I was completely compliant. I had only 3.5 cc in my 11 cc band.

Telling someone that the only way complications can happen is through noncompliant eating is just wrong and blames the pt for the failure of the device.

The port site is the worst!!!! Yes it stayed bruised as heck and puffy and was by far the worst of my pain? Best of luck!

Wow now I know what Im up againt come Nov 1st when I have my band removed :-(