Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi there,

I've done the weight loss yo-yo for about a decade now. Have had some success with Weight Watchers (older program) and Ideal Protein. But, I have had health issues (foot surgery, spinal fusion, and a broken leg that required surgery) all throw me off course. I had a lap band consult in June, and they weren't sure I'd qualify, as I have no diabetic or hypertension problems, just bone issues. The surgeon was surprised I had even come to them, not believing my BMI was high enough. So, once my kids sporting tournaments ended about two months ago, I started Weight Watchers again. I love that they are doing the points differently now, counting carbs, fat, Fiber and Protein. I know it's a lifestyle change, and I am proud to be 22 pounds down from that meeting in June. But 78 pounds is a daunting way to go yet. My insurance actually approved the surgery, and I am scheduled at the end of November, but am really 50/50 with proceeding. I see it as a tool, not the entire answer to the problem. I live 5 hours from the Dr and the hospital performing the surgery (the joys of rural living). I searched the WW forums for using their diet and lap and but some of the posts really got me worried that the lapband may not be the way to go. How often do you need to have your band adjusted in the first few weeks, month, year? Anyone else also doing WW with their lapband? Thank you in advance for your comments and experiences.

I will just say that I think being banded is the best decision I ever made for myself. (Well other than picking the hubby I did, or did he pick me?) I was tired of yo-yoing, tired of the fat, tired of just about everything but also scared. If your insurance is paying for it I say do it. I did self pay and had a lot of time to think about it while I was saving. The first few days I kept thinking what the jack did I do but that ended quickly and now I see changes in myself (my attitude, my weight, my life) that I've been trying for more than 10 years to achieve. I have done weight watchers 4 separate times and was *perfect* all times and still didn't see the weight loss that I've already achieved in just a few short months.

My band IS a tool, not a magic fix, but it gave me some control and it's helping me and I'll never regret it. You can be a success story too.

As for adjustments, I was banded end of June, saw the dr. a few days later, and then for the first two months was seen every two weeks (my decision - wanted to get to the green zone as quickly as possible.) I'm there now (I think anyway) and so now I can come and go as I please but plan to be seen once a month for weigh in and make sure I'm still on track. You could take it slower if you wanted but might be a harder for you...

Best of luck in whatever you decide.

For me..I have done weight watchers, Atkins, etc..I have done very well but have never been able to get passed a certain point with out major struggles and then of course the weight came back on for me..I also did this for years!!!YEARS!!!! Then in Feb, I just said I was tired of the struggle, I still have to watch what I eat, but for me it takes the insane struggle out of it, it takes the edge off..I cant eat huge portions, and I had huge portions!!lol I was always shocked at how much I could eat, even salad!!! I also cant eat every hour, if done right I am actually good for 4hrs...and I feel fantastic!!! Its your choice..If you want to give it one more go then do it..Its your choice...for me, I have never been happier..and you can still do weight watchers with this!! Anyways...good luck!!

Thank you both for your insights and comments. I will have to make up my mind soon. :-) Not an easy decision at all. Have a wonderful week!