Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Water, My New Obstacle!

I was banded 4 days ago.. Spent the night in the hospital and was hooked up to an iv. Up until yesterday I felt hydrated enough... I am seriously struggling with drinking Water. It passes just fine, but it makes me nauseas. I've tried crystal light and find that to be worse... Any kind words of advice are really welcomed!! Th

I struggle to drink enough Water ever, so I feel your pain. I had some trouble with it the first few days too, but it got better and I can get 8-10 oz down, sipping over an hour or so, with no upset now. Are other fluids going down without the nausea? If so, keep getting whatever fluids you can, other than coffee or caffeinated teas.

try cold and warm - some say warm makes the nausea worse, but cold helps- see if one or the other helps. It is so important to stay hydrated. Add a little extra Water to your Protein Shakes and see if that helps. Also try sugar free popcicles that will get you some fluids. Try your favorite juices or tea- Staying hydrated at this point is more important than any thing else.

Nausea is a symptom of severe dehydration, so you might want to consult with your surgeon ASAP about what is going on and how you are feeling.

I did not realize this, and when I attended my first post op appointment and complained of nausea for 3 days, instead of going home after my appointment, I ended up in the ER for IV hydration.

Perhaps ice chips would be an option. I still keep a bottle of Water with me at all times and sip from it frequently.

I hope you feel better...

I was banded 4 days ago.. Spent the night in the hospital and was hooked up to an iv. Up until yesterday I felt hydrated enough... I am seriously struggling with drinking Water. It passes just fine, but it makes me nauseas. I've tried crystal light and find that to be worse... Any kind words of advice are really welcomed!! Th

Go out or have someone go out and buy you bottles of Gatorade. You can dilute the already watered gatorade with Water or just drink it straight. You need to keep hydrated. I lived on water and gatorade for several weeks. I can't drink diet drinks at all because of the 'sweetners' trigger my acid reflux. Flavor your water if you are having a hard time drinking it with 'natural' juices. I did this also. For example: I would dilute my water with apple juice, cranberry juices, and even grape juices. You can even squeeze fresh fruits into your water as well for flavor, such as oranges, lemons, limes. Just keep drinking all day long, this is going to be the power you need to heal.

Dehydration period can make you feel TERRIBLE!! I've learn that over the past 10 months! The Gatorade deal works great for me when Water just isnt cutting it! Actually Poweraide Zero GRAPE is my best Friend! Keep trying different things til you can figure out what your body likes! Dont give up!!

Also, for me if i dont drink enough Water it effects my band! REALLY BAD! Dehydration means food gets stuck!

Good luck and I hope you get to feeling better soon!

If you all haven't tried Mio you should, it's been my best friend. It's a Water Enhancer and you can make it as sweet as your want or add just a few drops for a tiny bit of flavor.. it comes in several different flavors, sweet tea, strawberry watermelon, pomegranate, blubbery lemonade, lemonade, fruit punch and a few energy flavors as well! There around 4 and last a few weeks! That's what has been Keeping me hydrated and drinking Water all day long!!

Dehydration period can make you feel TERRIBLE!! I've learn that over the past 10 months! The Gatorade deal works great for me when Water just isnt cutting it! Actually Poweraide Zero GRAPE is my best Friend! Keep trying different things til you can figure out what your body likes! Dont give up!!

Also' date=' for me if i dont drink enough Water it effects my band! REALLY BAD! Dehydration means food gets stuck!

Good luck and I hope you get to feeling better soon![/quote']

Thank u! I will try that flavor!

try cold and warm - some say warm makes the nausea worse' date=' but cold helps- see if one or the other helps. It is so important to stay hydrated. Add a little extra Water to your Protein Shakes and see if that helps. Also try sugar free popcicles that will get you some fluids. Try your favorite juices or tea- Staying hydrated at this point is more important than any thing else.[/quote']

Good point! Anything is better than nothing .. Room temp works for me... And also Popsicles.. Jello is good too... Thanks again!

If you all haven't tried Mio you should' date=' it's been my best friend. It's a Water Enhancer and you can make it as sweet as your want or add just a few drops for a tiny bit of flavor.. it comes in several different flavors, sweet tea, strawberry watermelon, pomegranate, blubbery lemonade, lemonade, fruit punch and a few energy flavors as well! There around 4 and last a few weeks! That's what has been Keeping me hydrated and drinking Water all day long!![/quote']

Those are good as well.. I think I prefer Mio to crystal light if I had to chose :) thanks!

Go out or have someone go out and buy you bottles of Gatorade. You can dilute the already watered gatorade with Water or just drink it straight. You need to keep hydrated. I lived on Water and gatorade for several weeks. I can't drink diet drinks at all because of the 'sweetners' trigger my acid reflux. Flavor your water if you are having a hard time drinking it with 'natural' juices. I did this also. For example: I would dilute my water with apple juice' date=' cranberry juices, and even grape juices. You can even squeeze fresh fruits into your water as well for flavor, such as oranges, lemons, limes. Just keep drinking all day long, this is going to be the power you need to heal.[/quote']

Not once did I think of that!!! Diluting juice into allot more water for flavor!!! That's an awesome idea!!! I will try that now with some apple juice!! I think that will work soo much better for me than crystal lite... My son has fruit punch Gatorade... My objective to nite will be to see how much liquids I can consume :) wish me luck!!!! Thanks again!

Nausea is a symptom of severe dehydration' date=' so you might want to consult with your surgeon ASAP about what is going on and how you are feeling.

I did not realize this, and when I attended my first post op appointment and complained of nausea for 3 days, instead of going home after my appointment, I ended up in the ER for IV hydration.

Perhaps ice chips would be an option. I still keep a bottle of Water with me at all times and sip from it frequently.

I hope you feel better...[/quote']

That's one of my biggest fear is to end up extremely dehydrated .. But I know that Is the direction I'm heading if I do not drink more liquids... Urine is extremely dark, and feeling crampy in my legs .... My goal is to drink 2 36oz of Gatorade and juice diluted in water... This should be a step in the right direction :) thanks

I struggle to drink enough Water ever' date=' so I feel your pain. I had some trouble with it the first few days too, but it got better and I can get 8-10 oz down, sipping over an hour or so, with no upset now. Are other fluids going down without the nausea? If so, keep getting whatever fluids you can, other than coffee or caffeinated teas.[/quote']

Good point.. Any liquids is better than none, I suppose :) Popsicles are ok and so is Jello.. Protein shakes carnation Breakfast lasts me all day but I can drink one bottle a day... Going to sip for the next 5hrs.. Wish me luck!!!'

As you progess with healing from the surgery it will start to get easier. I couldn't get enough of anything down right after surgery. Hang in there it only gets easier from here on out.