Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating A Microscopic Bite Vs. Self Control

So I was reading a post the other day and someone showed a fork with a pea sized bit on it. I thought to myself. I will never eat a bite that small. To me that would be rediculous. I would rather have some sort of self control then live like that. That is not normal in my opinion. My question is. Do any of you feel the same way? Has anyone learned some sort of self control so you don't have your band tight as can be? I know for a fact I will never eat one pea at a time.

Hi Susie :) I'm 2 years out from surgery and down 100lbs with only 10 pounds to go till I hit my personal goal. I have never in the past two years eaten a bite as small as a pea. I've taken regular sized bites and chewed as much as possible. Of course I have had occasions where I bit off more than I could chew, literally, and I paid for it. But those occasions were few and far between. Just be extremely conscious of chewing. Start with small bites and work your way to what is comfortable for you. Everyone is different. You'll find you niche and when you do stick with it! Good luck!

I'm trying to learn to take smaller bites but it's a struggle. I cut everything on my plate into what I think is small enough bites. Then when I sit down to eat, I cut that bite in half. It's really hard because I have a bad habit of waiting until I'm STARVING to eat, then eating too fast. I really do feel better when I take smaller bites and chew slowly. As I get closer to the green zone (which hopefully I am at now since I got my fill yesterday) small bites will become more important.

Well I'm the one who posted the picture, and it's not pea sized it's the size of my fingernail. Hence why I put the picture of my finger next to it.

As far as "I'd rather have self control than live like this"... I've lost almost 150 pounds in 9 months. I log every single thing I put in my mouth and count every single calorie. Believe me, I have plenty of self control. My weight loss results speak for themselves quite clearly as to my level of self control.

You can live however you like, however I like to be able to eat bread, rice, Pasta, and all the stuff so many say they can't eat anymore since then being banded. I can still eat all that, and everything else I enjoy, with the self control to take small bites and stay within bandster portions.

Lol! show the picture. It covers one spline on the fork. Okay a pea and a half. At somepoint you make your choice more restriction or more self control, am I wrong? I applaud you losing that fast. I don't have that much to lose. Not everyone does. I have 50 to lose and I don't care if it takes me 5 years. Thank you Jen and DiNaMaRiE617 I got the band to not have to calorie count and log. I've already lost 25 without any restriction. Although I do feel restriction. Your choice is your choice. I would like to know if you have so much self control why so restricted?

Lol! show the picture. It covers one spline on the fork. Okay a pea and a half. At somepoint you make your choice more restriction or more self control, am I wrong? I applaud you losing that fast. I don't have that much to lose. Not everyone does. I have 50 to lose and I don't care if it takes me 5 years. Thank you Jen and DiNaMaRiE617 I got the band to not have to calorie count and log. I've already lost 25 without any restriction. Although I do feel restriction. Your choice is your choice. I would like to know if you have so much self control why so restricted?

Excuse me? How do you know anything about me or my self control? What I eat isn't restricted at all because that isn't what the band is supposed to do. I happen to like going 5-6 without any hunger and at this level of restriction I can do that with ease.

Let me tell you something, to lose almost 150 pounds in 9 months take a lot of self control, hence why I count calories and am very strict about eating a healthy diet. You may not care if it takes you 5 years to lose 50 pounds but I do.

I personally don't care what size bite you take or if you count calories, but I posted that pic to help others who were having problems with food getting stuck. You do whatever you want with your life, I will continue to try to help others here as I have been. Why you seem to think you have clue about me, my motives, or my self control are beyond me. I do, however, highly suggest you start acting like a mature adult not a judgmental child.

I'm sorry I don't understand your topic... Eating small bites takes ALOT of self control. My bites are the size of my finger nail and I chew them to mush. I can eat anything without a problem. I don't throw up, pb or get food stuck. I enjoy the tastes of my meals. I work with my band to loose the weight. To me that is self control.

I thought keeping track of everything you ate was so you were accountable? My job/insurance had me go through 6 months of very intense nutritional counseling as well as nutrition assessments and psychological assessments. (Where I work has the strictest rules for WLS in NC according to my doctor, who works at the same place) Every person I had to meet with stressed the importance of writing down everything you put in your mouth. If you don't, how will you know what behaviours to change, what is working and how to adjust when you hit a plateau? I don't look at it as restriction vs control-it's both. I can be restricted all I want but if I choose to go out and drink a bunch of milkshakes all the restriction in the world isn't really going to help. The band is simply a tool to help me make the right decisions.

Lol oh man I am out of here. I can't deal with the Naive people on here. No wonder everyone in this world is so fat.

Everyone is different, so each should do what works for them. If u r ok with bigger bits, that's great for you. But others may have issues with bigger bites and so chose to have small bites, the size of a pea if they wish. As miss73 pointed out, she only posted it for others who have been having issues with big bites. We are here to help each other through this journey not judge. Do what works for you, but others benefit from different advice....I personally love this site...as I read different advice's then choose which one works for me, very informative.

I know there is a full moon coming on, but I have to say, this is the third or fourth thread I have read today where people are taking offense when none is meant and then the fight is on! First time since I joined this site that I have seen this, so either everyone is on the same cycle, or the moon is calling...Please, can everyone just take a deep breath and remember not all posts are attacks on you? Thanks. :)

Most Dr's recommend bites that small. My nutritionist says the end of the pinky finger. Perhaps you've never needed to do that, but it is the recommend size- nothing to do with self control.

ROFLMAO!!!!

Missy not only are you smart, but funny too! Love you GF!!!

Also my Dr said the size of a pencil eraser, which I think is about a pinky size.