Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is Lap Band Just "sticking Your Toe In The Water?"

When I attended a support group the surgeon described lap band as just sticking your toe in the Water where as gastric bypass has less of a chance of regaining weight - I am leaning towards gastric bypass my BMI is 39.5 weight 235 like to lose 100 pounds -- looking forward to meeting with the surgeon on 10/5/12 for my consultation. Any thoughts?

When I attended a support group the surgeon described lap band as just sticking your toe in the Water where as gastric bypass has less of a chance of regaining weight - I am leaning towards gastric bypass my BMI is 39.5 weight 235 like to lose 100 pounds -- looking forward to meeting with the surgeon on 10/5/12 for my consultation. Any thoughts?

I know three people personally who gained all their weight back from gastric bypass. Any surgery is what the user makes of it. No matter which wls you choose you have to do the work. Research all options before you choose. Good luck no matter what.

Starting weight: 264.5 Current weight 252.6 Goal weight 160

Either lapband or gastric bypass the weight can be regained, both take work.

My sister had Gastric bypass and lost a lot of weight fast, but has gained almost all back. That is why I chose LB not as drastic.

KM is correct, research both surgeries before making up your mind.

Good luck on your journey!

It doesn't matter which WLS you choose- Gastric Bypass, Sleeve, or Lap Band- if you're not willing to do the work and change your eating habits for a lifetime, you either won't lose or will soon regain it all. None of the surgeries are a magic fix for fat, they're just tools.

I have two friends who had Gastric Bypass within a month of me having Lap Band almost 9 months ago. One has only lost about 25 pounds. The other is down about 50 pounds (she regained some already). Both thought I was nuts for choosing Lap Band and neither bothered to change their diets. They still eat the same junk that got them fat to begin with.

I have lost 146 pounds so far and I'm still losing. I've lost twice what they have combined. Not because the Lap Band is better but because I changed my eating habits and work very hard at a healthy lifestyle.

My point is, it doesn't matter which you choose, if you aren't willing to do the work you won't succeed.

I too know people who have had gastric bypass and re-gained. I know people who have had it and been successful. Your really the only one who can control your outcome no matter which road you choose. Good luck! :)

Some people, myself included, have strong concerns regarding having parts of their insides rearranged and removed. That was one of the reasons I chose the band. I was the one who was encouraged by both my PCP and bariatric surgeon to do my research and decide on my type of surgery.

As others have written, every surgery will come with some risks for complications. Band surgery has a lower mortality rate. Though I have experienced medical complications from my surgery, these were weight loss related and not caused by the band.

None of the WLS procedures is a magic bullet that will cause you to shed a hundred pounds...you have to change your relationship with food; understand that you must eat to live and not live to eat. If stress or your emotions are your triggers to overeat, you need to learn a different set of coping skills to manage your life. Turning to food is not an option if you want to be successful with weight loss. You will need to adopt a healthier lifestyle with better food choices and include exercise several times a week in your life.

There is much research out there and other sources for information. You should discuss your options with more than 1 physician...as in my experience physicians do have their biases, and a second opinion to consider sort of evens the field.

Best wishes as you consider your options...

The people who stretch out their gastric pouches get the Lapband because nothing else will work. Some surgeons are more biased towards gastric because while other countries were perfecting the banding technique, USA surgeons were perfecting gastric. It is still considered the gold standard in the US because of that.

Just food for thought...