Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Progressing Post Op Diet Early

Well I don't think the poster doesn't WANT to follow the docs orders, it's probably just lack of willpower. Us banders go through this whole process because we have eating disorders, & getting the surgery won't immediately change our habits. It'll take awhile :)

The past 2 days I haven't been the greatest, had some mashed meatballs and Nutella :/ It's harder than it seems. I admire the people who don't falter on their diet!

what is nutella? i am sorry if its dumb, but not sure what that is? is a sauce for meatballs?

Nutella is the creamy goodness of peanutbutter with the taste of chocolate and hazelnut. SO good.

oh, heck

i sure am dumb hick

sorry about that..i am guessing its near the Peanut Butter...will have to check it out. thank you

Well I don't think the poster doesn't WANT to follow the docs orders' date=' it's probably just lack of willpower. Us banders go through this whole process because we have eating disorders, & getting the surgery won't immediately change our habits. It'll take awhile :)

The past 2 days I haven't been the greatest, had some mashed meatballs and Nutella :/ It's harder than it seems. I admire the people who don't falter on their diet!

[/quote']

I totally get what you're saying about will power, but when you get on here , where newbies are and say, oh I didn't listen to my Dr and everything is just fine, is sending the wrong message.

Everything might be find now, but in the long run that might not be so.

Newbies, listen to your Drs. If you have a problem, talk with your Dr. Don't "hide" anything from them. They are there for you.

Ye that is what I'm saying gasssp sigh. I can't share my opinion without being judged? Because I got away with it don't hate. Lol!

Ok this thread is the type that makes me want to bang my head on my keyboard.

How can so many people be so foolish to blatantly go against their doctors orders? It doesn't matter what someone else's doctor says or what you can "get away with". Those guidelines are in place for your health and well being. You're really willing to risk that? Why bother going through a surgery just to toss it all away with bad judgement that you know is wrong?

Seriously folks, be an adult and use common some sense. Follow your doctors orders.

Carolina girl- for the love of god stay away from the Nutella!!!!! It's so delicious you'll get hooked and sooo high in fat!

I understand what u guys are saying and agree whole heartedly we have no business going against doctors orders , and we could possibly hurt ourself. I wanna bang my own head into my keyboard for being such a dumbarse!

BUT, I also went against doctors orders in the first place and never followed the diet he gave me for my diabetes and I'm guessing so did everyone else here- that is how we got fat. Soooo, isn't it a bit hypocritical to judge someone after the surgery for not following their docs diet when not a single one of us here ever followed our doctors diets to begin with????

I'm playing devils advocate because I actually agree with you guys, but I don't feel someone should be made to feel dumb because some setbacks postop. I for one, could use some support instead of judgement right now :)

I understand what u guys are saying and agree whole heartedly we have no business going against doctors orders ' date=' and we could possibly hurt ourself. I wanna bang my own head into my keyboard for being such a dumbarse!

BUT, I also went against doctors orders in the first place and never followed the diet he gave me for my diabetes and I'm guessing so did everyone else here- that is how we got fat. Soooo, isn't it a bit hypocritical to judge someone after the surgery for not following their docs diet when not a single one of us here ever followed our doctors diets to begin with????

I'm playing devils advocate because I actually agree with you guys, but I don't feel someone should be made to feel dumb because some setbacks postop. I for one, could use some support instead of judgement right now :)[/quote']

I liked your post. When ppl post on this forum it is open to everyone's opinion. I wasn't calling anyone a dumbarse. I was simply stating after 6mths of diet,meetings & test and finally getting surgery (when any surgery is risky) and having done all that to possibly blow it the first week, I just don't understand.

Not trying to be judgemental, more like ok you screwed up, get back on the wagon. You went through a lot for this, it will work if you follow your Drs orders.

The reason I liked your post is b/c you state, you did it and you regret doing it. Saying do as I say, not as I did.

You know there's ppl on hear that are going to think, ah they did it and they're ok, so why not. They may be the one that's not ok doing it. Only to see them on here 6 mths from now saying " what did I do wrong?".

Yes, we all slip but don't keep sliding. This is our chance to finally save our lives.

I truly wish everyone here the best of health and happiness! I know we all can do this if we want it bad enough. Just do it!

That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

I wish you the best on your journey!

I am on reg food, sx on 9/10. Started about 10 days, doing well.

Easier said than done!! Why have the lap band if you have the will power to follow dr orders to the t. In sure your pcp spoke to you regarding your weight and a change in your diet. Comments like these that blow my mind, ppl so judge mental. Were are all adults and do what we please.

Btw weightloss via lap band is through restriction!!! Not satiety. Pouch is a certain size and only a certain amount of food fits!!

Easier said than done!! Why have the lap band if you have the will power to follow dr orders to the t. In sure your pcp spoke to you regarding your weight and a change in your diet. Comments like these that blow my mind, ppl so judge mental. Were are all adults and do what we please.

Btw weightloss via lap band is through restriction!!! Not satiety. Pouch is a certain size and only a certain amount of food fits!!

You are 100% wrong. The band actually regulates the hormone that causes hunger, the small pouch above it tricks your body into thinking it's no longer physically hungry when in the past it would be. Don't be fooled into thinking the band is going to stop you from eating anything. That is not it's job. There's a reason so many people continue to over eat and learn how to eat around the band- because the band was never meant to physically stop you from eating.

Dr. Simpson is one of the pioneers and leading experts in Lap Band. He explains it here:

http://drsimpson.net...estriction.html

"When talking about the band, some patients talk about restriction. Let's first be clear about one thing: the purpose of the band is not restriction; the purpose of the band is to lose weight by suppressing the appetite.

When band professionals talk about restriction we are talking about something totally different than "restricting what a person eats." In fact, many band surgeons avoid talking about restriction so as to not confuse patients. The band works by dimming the appetite, and this provides a conscious control and decision made by the patient, it does not work by "making" a person do something, or keep them from eating too much.

The Lap-band works by suppressing your appetite

As a result, you are less interested in food between meals, making it easier to resist temptation. The analogy is when you are near a vending machine when you are hungry-- what do you do? Probably find yourself with some junk food that is not a part of your plan. But, when you pass a vending machine when you are full, it may not even catch your eye. Having the appetite dimmed makes you less tempted by the many food choices modern living throws at you - -this is what the band does, by suppressing appetite you become less interested in food.

What you should not feel, with the band, is the sensation of being "stuffed."

When you eat Thanksgiving dinner, you can feel stuffed. Contrast that with the sensation two hours after you eat your big meal, at that point your appetite is suppressed. It is the subtle dimming of the appetite that the band should provide. Being stuffed after a large meal is a complicated sensation of the abdominal wall stretching and a lot of gas in the bowel, in addition to feeling a diminution of appetite. You will not, and should not, feel the abdominal wall stretch with the band. You should not feel the "near nausea" and you should not feel bloated.

Key point:

You should NEVER eat until you feel full. It is best to stop eating before you "feel full." If you do eat until you feel full you will most likely be overstuffed. This leads to the universal key to success -- patients who eat a small volume of food (which, if you measure, is consistent) will be successful with the band. If you want to succeed, you need to know how much you are eating, and then stop eating -- it is in your control, but the band will help you -- not by stopping you, but by allowing you to feel satisfied after the small volume."

FYI; in Europe they are requiring food show cals and fat content on the front of the food wrapper (you may notice we are now seeing this in the US as well). Well the makers of Nutella were fighting this because there statistics are soooooo baddddd.

Post op I did exceptionally well. I had no gas pains, only used liquid Tylenol for pain, and was back as the gym on day 4. On day 10 I was back for post up follow up. I was sooooo hungry. At that point I was on full liquids (tomato Soup consistancy). I ask the nurse if I could move to soft mushies. Her answer? "Absolutley NOT!"

I am on reg food' date=' sx on 9/10. Started about 10 days, doing well.[/quote']

If that is what your Dr ordered, that is fine.

I know diff drs have diff rules' date=' and I've been allowing myself a few tiny bites of well chewed food and its not hurt physically (honestly I hoping my bowels get regular w soome solid foods). I'm 10 days opst op and supposed to be on liquids only, not even mmushies. I'm sure someone has and still been successful, but did anyone else progress their diet (w/o overeating or eating wrong) and if so how soon? And was it as bad as the drs say it is?[/quote']

I am supposed to still be on Clear Liquids only. Doc don't even let his peeps have slimfast. After day 5 i started mixing eggbeaters in my broth, having a small amount of pudding and last night i had that liquid squash Soup. Its all been fine. just between liquid and mushy . I am still dropping a lb a day. My portions are 1/4 cup only