Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 2006 Band Crew

I would see your doctor IMMEDIATELY. If you have pneumonia you need treatment before you end up back in the hospital. Better safe than sorry!

Let us know how it turns out. Good luck

Hi all, I cannot believe it has been a week since my surgery. I am feeling great and ready for mushies. I still have bruising from the incisions but other than that, no problems. I plan to start by walking program this week and I know that will only help my weight loss.

Cheers everyone!

Okay, I'm not a doctor, not do I play one on TV, but Heresdeb, my guess is that the sore throat and croakiness would be due to the things they throw into your throat while on the table. I also had blue lines running down my face from the dye they ran in to make certain there weren't any leaks. (They mechanically made me swallow...how Grey's Anatomy can you get???)

I don't think they're related (the throat feeling and the chest pain) but they might be, and that pain in your chest could be ANYTHING. It could simply be gas still trying to find its' way out...but it could be an infection, or any number of things. Take some time to get it checked out. You should have a quick EKG at least to rule out a variety of possibilities, but please call the doc. When in doubt, call the doc! :confused:

I was banded on the 15th. They had a difficult time making the band fit and kept me overnight for observation. My surgeon said the band is very tight on me and it should be a LONG time before I need a fill. He has me on a pureed/blenderized diet for 2 weeks, then soft foods for 2 weeks, then regular diet. I can eat or drink fine, but I sure do get full quickly with the pureed foods.

Heresdeb, here is something to consider. I saw my regular doc when I was 3 days post-op and he said I was fluid-overloaded from surgery. He could hear crackles in my chest. He gave me a very strong diuretic and I peed like crazy and lost 9 pounds right away. (While I had actually gained 6 from the Fluid of surgery.) Please get checked right away.

Good to hear from everyone else. Scout, we share a band-date. Hope you're feeling more chipper soon. I took two weeks off work, so I get a longer break and think I need it, too.

Haven't officially updated my ticker yet.

Hey everyone

I tried to post last night but I had just taken some liquid pain med about an hour before and found myself not thinking or typing clearly. So I decided to wait until today to update.

My surgery was on Thursday and the only problems I had were nausia right after waking up and then the day after, my belly started itching. I had a reaction to the betadine like stuff they rubbed on it before surgery. So once I got it completely washed off, the itching finally stopped. Otherwise, everything has gone like clockwork. My youngest daughter named my belly "Frankenbelly" because of the staples. I'm just so happy to be on my way to a new, healthier me! Thanks to everyone for support and prayers.

I have to wait FOUR :confused: more days to start mushies. I'm feeling pretty good but I am missing real food. I'm not frantic, but I'm sure ready.

I stayed at home for the first week, and then worked 1/2 days the next week. I must have overdone it though because I just stayed home all of Friday and took it easy. Also, a 3-hour nap helped.

First and foremost, Heresdeb, as all the rest are suggesting, please see a doctor immediately. This is nothing to fool around with. Also, please let us all know how you're doing so far. The post you did was a while ago.

NO DELAY OF SURGERY!!!! :clap2: When I went to see the physician's assistant for my pre-op, there was still a possibility of delay ... but now I'm counting down the days. I'll be banded on the 25th. I've been on what they call "product." It's a high-protein packaged food supplied by the facility/doctore that's doing my surgery. It is stock-full of Protein and has many choices. I lost 13# in one week. I'll be on product up until surgery and then liquid product for 2 weeks after surgery. Not sure after that ... they say it's a transition period for 4 weeks. I meet with the dietician/nutritionist on June 6 (1-1/2 weeks post up) and will know at that time. I'm guessing mushies.

Reading all these posts today have been so inspiring. :hail: (I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy). You're all fantastic and to share everything is great.

I have a great support team behind me ... my family, friends, co-workers. I'm blessed in that regard. I go to a very small church and have only told a few people there, but I'm thinking of just saying, "what the heck" and ask for prayers for my surgery.

Have a great weekend everyone.

P.S. First time with ticker tape attached, so I hope it works.

Well, it didin't work .. will someone please let me know how to do the tickertape thing? THanks.

Hi everyone,

I'm got back home last night late (Fri 19 May) and I am doing fine. My husband said the surgery only took 20 minutes! Wow!

The only problems I have had was the day after the surgery, after we took a walk at the mall in Monterrey, we went back to the room and I felt so tired and achey and having chills..... like having the flu. I think that I walked too much and eaten too much broth. After sleeping, I was better. I've been nauseous a couple of times on the trip home, but I think that may have been low blood sugar... not enough Protein. Today, I'm feeling better. My husband made me some great Soup and I'm feeling stronger today.

I have a question for everyone........ did anyone else gain weight during your surgery period? I weighed myself this morning, and I had gained like 4 or 5 lbs since I left for Monterrey....... even after 2 days of not eating anything except liquids! Just wondered about everyone else.

Thanks,

Cathy

3loves...what I did when I had to swallow the GASTRAGRAFIN...I did what the kids do...plug my nose and you don't taste a thing!!!!

I was banded on the 8th and am doing well with the liquids; the other day I made a pot of chicken Soup with veggies...oh so good and the meat is soft.

I haven't been on Tylenol since the third day after surgery. I'm in not pain. The only thing that bothers me and I'm not sure if it normal or not...where the port is...it's swollen...like 1/2 size of a tennis ball. I'm afraid to sleep on my stomach and to do any kind of crunches.

Anyone else have this swelling (I'm 12 days out)

thanks,

May 23rd is three days away and I am getting excited. :thumb:

I'm as ready as I can be....I think. Gulp. Nervous, sort of, but mostly anxious for the big day to get here. Three cheers for us May babies...

I was banded on May 15th by Dr. Wynn. Everything went well,only spot that hurts is at my port site. Big bruise there. On full liquids for 4 weeks. It would be easier if I didn't have to make dinner for the kids. I'm so use to picking while I cook. I quess they have to eat hehe lol. I've been walking every day but wondering when I can really start working out. I have a weight restriction of 16 lbs. for a month.

Cathmo-

I gained wt during the surgery too. They give you a ton of IV fluids during OR and then continue it afterward. Your body will third space it for a few days...meaning that it leaks out of the blood stream and into the cells. The diuresing phase is 2-4 days post op. You will eventually pee it all off. It is just Water weight.

JUST WANTED TO DROP IN AND TELL EVERYONE THAT MY SURGERY WENT FANTASTIC. I WAS BANDED ON MAY 18 BY DR HUACUZ.THE WHOLE SURGERY TOOK 40 MINUTES. I WAS UP AND WALKING THE HOSPITAL FLOORS AN HOUR LATER HAVING NO PAIN WHATSOEVER. I AM THE BIGGEST PAIN WEENIE IN EARH SO IF I WAS HAVING ANY TYPE OF PAIN I WOULD LET YOU KNOW. ON FRIDAY I WENT IN FOR THE BARIUM SWALLOW..JUST TO COOL TO EXPLAIN WHEN YOU SEE YOUR BAND FOR THE FIRST TIME IN PLACE. HAD Jello AND chicken broth FOR dinner AAND HANDLED IT ALL WELL.HAD A GREAT NIGHTS sleep, WITH NO PAIN MEDS ON FRIDAY. GOT UP EARLY SATURDAY AND WALKED NEARLY A MILE TO A MALL AND BACK TO THE HOTEL BEFORE CATCHING MY PLANE BACK TO LAS VEGAS..I SIMPLY CANNOT SPEAK HIGHLY ENOUGH OF DR. HUACUZ AND HIS STAFF.SO VERY PROFESSIONAL AND ATTENTIVE TO YOUR EVERY NEED AND CONCERN.THERE ARE SOME STATESIDE DOCTORS WHO COULD TAKE A FEW LESSONS IN THAT AREA. THANKS FOR EVERYONES SUPPORT..I WILL POST AS I PROGREE. FOR THOSE OF YOU BEING BANDED THIS NEXT WEEK, DONT FRET IT..IT IS A VERY PAINLESS PROCEDURE.:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: