Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 2006 Band Crew

I feel your pain Sleepyjean. I too am having a hard time getting all my Water in. Stomach pain caused by hunger is also a new concept to me. I woke up hungry this morning and got a few sips of yogurt down then I was "full". I took a nap and woke up and had a few tablespoons of Soup. This went down much easier. I told my husband today that if I'm restricted like this all the time I won't need a fill! I know I'm probably still swollen from surgery, it was only 5 days ago. It's definatley new to learn what all these signs and signals from my tummy mean.

Good news though! I slept in my bed last night with no problem! I was even able to lay on both sides! :)

Sleepy Jean, I was banded on the 1st and I'm having the same problem you are having. It's difficult to get almost anything down. I sip here and there and maybe eat a popsicle, but that's it! How, oh how, to get the Protein in??????? I made protein ice cubes today. I'll try licking on those and see if that helps. I feel weak and tired, though. We need to keep trying. I think I am going to start tracking it on fitday.com to see what I'm truly consuming. It can't be much - but that will help me set a goal as to what I should be getting in. Hang in there. We'll make it!

Hi Sleepyjean,

I packed on all this extra weight and sustained it through eating about two meals a day. I used to actually shock myself at how much I could put away at a sitting.

I am also finding "hunger" painful. I usually have an ache in behind my breastbone around six in the morning that drives me to the fridge for a few sips of yogurt so I can go back to sleep for an hour or two. Unfortunately, I have over-eaten once or twice as well and the feeling is very similar to that of hunger. :) It will definately be a challenge to learn our bodies "new" signs, especially since we didn't do all that well listening to the "old" ones.

I think I am trying to eat the same way banded. I will sit down and drink 8-16 oz of Water in about 10 minutes. I don't get up unitl I am done. I do the same thing with my Protein Shake. I can get one in in about 5 minutes (that's 8 oz nf milk + 1oz of whey Protein powder). I don't feel like I have much swelling from my surgery on Monday because I have been able to do this since Tuesday.

I think if I could only do a few sips at a time, it would drive me nuts. One thing I do do is I keep my water in a lg. 32 oz container. My goal is to drink 1.5 or 48 oz daily. I made it to 40 yesterday. Today I havn't even gotten to 8 yet.--OK, I just did 8 oz.

Well, that's my update for the day. I am really tired today. My son had an 8 am soccer game and I was afraid to have a Protein Drink before the game because what I drink usually goes through me pretty quickly and his soccer field was the farthest from the lovely out-houses today. Not getting my morning protein in seems to have made a huge difference in my energy level - even though I had one when I got home at 11 am, I still crashed and slept for a couple of hours and still feel kind of out-of-it.

What is everyone else doing to get yourseves "going" in the morning?

It's difficult to get almost anything down. I sip here and there and maybe eat a popsicle, but that's it! How, oh how, to get the Protein in??????? I made protein ice cubes today. I'll try licking on those and see if that helps.

Protein ice cubes! What a great idea. Can you still buy those plastic popscicle forms? I used to have them for the kids. That could be cool. You could put almost anything in them.

Yep, I used an old fashion ice cube tray, but I do have the forms. You could probably get them at the dollar store. I know tupperware makes them. We'll see how they do!

I have to take a capsule medication everyday. The last couple of days I've poured it into a tablespoon of applesauce. Today I got brave. I soaked it in warm Water for a few minutes to start to disolve the gel casing, and then I downed it with trepidatation.......................It went down w/ no problems!:clap2: Just thought I'd let you know my experience unless anyone else has to take medication. Good luck Bandsters!

Peach - Good to hear the soaking the capsule worked. How long did you have to soak it?

Hello, Checking in again. I doing good. Having a bit of a time getting my Water down. I just tried some V8 juice and it went down. But was wondering when you all started back on your Protein. I don't remember what the Dr said. Maybe I should call them. I know they said to wait four days to return to medication. Today I feel worse than yesterday. I am trying to cut back on the pain meds. but think maybe a bit early. My DH came down with the flu yesterday so I was keeping away from him. He said he is feeling much better this afternoon. will I"m going to go for a walk and see if I can get this gas a moving. Talk to you all soon. DeAnn

hello ya'll, i just wanted ya'll to know that i bought some of those Isopure clear Protein Drinks at the GNC store today. they sell for $3.75 each, but that gives you 40 GRAMS of Protein. they were on sale for $2.63 each and i tasted the grape frost and the peach right in the store. i liked the grape best, bought the last 9 they had. also bought 4 peach ones. they had other flavors and the saleslady said she would also order it by the case if you want. (all one flavor). i had read about them so much on LBT, and was having trouble getting in all my protein w/protein powders, this will be much better. Think it was Pnut that said to spread out the drink, you can only absorb 20 something grams at a time. (not sure who said it) and the saleslady confirmed this. she was about 62yo and so nice--she said she brings hers to work, puts in freezer there, and when it is slushy,she drinks some of it---sounds good to me!!! this might be a good way for you to get protein in. i am still on pre-op diet since last monday. i will start clear liquid only (that isopure will come in handy) on monday--surgery is thursday.:nervous

Hi Mychevygirl,

My doctor and nutritionist told me to start taking them as soon as I got home fromthe hospital. They had me on a full liquid diet and said if it could fit through a straw (smooth with no chunks) I could have it.

Just wanted to jump in here...

Surgery is happening Tuesday, May 9th. I'm starting to get really, really nervous and am asking myself, "Have I really tried everything?" I keep coming back to "Yes." I need help to make this happen. I want to be healthier and live healthier. I keep saying this while my tummy says, "You've been on full liquids today...what happened to crunch and stuff your face?" I'm kind of shakey and weird feeling. I'm a little snippy as well. I keep telling myself this will pass and I know that it will.

Today my mom said, "I just hope you are not doing this because you're looking for the easy way out." I said, "Mother. *sigh* This is NOT the easy way out." Does anyone else get tired of explaining?

Ok, I've rambled enough. Time to get some sleep. If I'm sleepin', I'm not eatin' :)

Night,

Marianne

Just wanted to jump in here...

Surgery is happening Tuesday, May 9th. I'm starting to get really, really nervous and am asking myself, "Have I really tried everything?" I keep coming back to "Yes." I need help to make this happen. I want to be healthier and live healthier. I keep saying this while my tummy says, "You've been on full liquids today...what happened to crunch and stuff your face?" I'm kind of shakey and weird feeling. I'm a little snippy as well. I keep telling myself this will pass and I know that it will.

Today my mom said, "I just hope you are not doing this because you're looking for the easy way out." I said, "Mother. *sigh* This is NOT the easy way out." Does anyone else get tired of explaining?

Ok, I've rambled enough. Time to get some sleep. If I'm sleepin', I'm not eatin' :)

Night,

Marianne

Marianne - we are going to be band sisters! I am being banded in Washington State. Your comment about getting tired of explaining is exactly the reason I haven't told ANYONE!! I'm not embarrased by having surgery, but I don't want to argue and explain. AND, I don't want to be watched. A couple of years ago, a woman I worked with had gastric bypass. While everyone was supportive, and didn't criticize, we were all watching and speculating about how much she had lost and if she looked healthy, etc. I just don't want to go there.

Weel I am banded. I was banded on the 4th and things are going good. Not as bad as I thought it would be. Just small baby steps.

:)