Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Referral For Tricare

I have my appointment with my pcm on Oct. 10th. I have attempted weight watchers and welbutrin without success and mycomorbid issues are depression and fibromyalgia with a BMI of 41.1. I also recently had a mass discovered on my ovary which is why I'm waiting until the 10th so we can discuss the results of the pelvic ultrasound. I'm anxious to know how the process works to get the referral for the surgeon. I'm at Ft. Campbell and the surgeon is on post but I worry the mass may not allow me to have the lapband procedure. I'm really interested in other folks experiences. Thanks

Tricare gave me quite the bit of hassle. They require you to have at least 3 months of supervised weight loss on a program while seeing your PCM. I did a turn in of initial paperwork after doing 6 months of supervised weight loss with the VA Move program. They didnt except it. So i joined weight watchers did my three months and now have been approved for surgery. If you get on the tricare website, it gives you a list of requirements in order to be considered for the surgery. Best wishes with your current health problems, working your way for this surgery, and quick recovery for everything

I have Tricare too, and actually for me it was unbelievably easy. I think that's because of my asthma & Tricare keeping a specific eye on me, because of how serious my illness has been in the past, it's actually because of the steroids (which I've been off nearly 3 years now, but was on for 6 which was most of puberty) I used to get better, that I have this much of a problem with my weight.

But anywho I got a referral from my primary in 2 seconds, made an appointment (August 30th) with the Doc, and was approved that afternoon (got the phone call the next morning) Started my pre-op diet sept. 7th, pre-op testing the 13th, I have my pre-op appointment tomorrow (go over the test results) and Friday I have surgery.

It really depends on your health issues, I wasn't required to do all the dieting (which I would have done willingly, & was what I expected to do after that appointment) I didn't even need my doctor to write any type of letter.

Thanks for the feedback. Seems to be case by case with Tricare, seems my complication can expedite or delay the process depending on my doctor.