Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Week In Review With Questions

So this week has been a roller coaster. I am scheduled for my surgery on Thursday September 20th! This week, I had to start my pre-op diet, not liquids only but pretty strict high Protein. I'm on day three and cheated today with some sausage and potato dinner my mom made a few days ago. I ate about a cup of left overs. Feeling guilty now, but felt like I needed a carbohydrate to get through the rest of the day. Carb or bed at 6pm - with a four yr old running around, I chose the carb.

I'm trying hard not to beat myself up too much, but really wish that I hadn't had it. Are the stories true that surgeons have gone through surgery without implanting the band and the patient woke with no band? I'd hate for one set back to make that happen for me.

Aside from today, yesterday I went bridesmaid dress shopping for my best friends wedding next May. Talk about a struggle - we found a great dress that everyone loved, but I had absolutely no idea what size to order. I ended up ordering two sizes smaller than I am now. The dress shop said I could have it taken in two additional sizes or worst case taken out one size. I feel like I made the right choice but we'll see! Has anyone else ever been in this situation? How did you handle it?

Also, I am finding that I am not as completely disgusted with the Protein shakes as I thought I would be. I've only tried chocolate so far, but it's not too bad!

Hope everyone else is having a good weekend!

Not sure what to tell you on the dress size thing other than I bet it will all work out. Don't cheat, just don't because you're only cheating yourself. Having said that, don't beat yourself up because you can't change it either. Just keep trying harder. I was banded June 29th and have gone done a dress size and a bra size even though I've only lost 20 lbs so I'm sure you won't be the same dress size next spring. Good luck on your surgery!!

One set back early on shouldn't hurt your surgery... But make it your last time. It's just not worth it. I am guessing you want this more than anything ....right? So the next time you think you need a carb... Have a sugar free Popsicle. You must learn between now and you surgery that food is nearly fuel. And the shakes will give you the nutrients you need... The rest of it is just habit.

As for the dress I don't know what size you a now but 8 months post surgery I was down about 90 lbs and about 4 sizes I think.

Best of luck. You can do this!

Clothing shopping is very difficult when you get banded because it is impossible to estimate the size you'll be months down the road. I went from a tight 24 down to an 18 in less then 3 months. As for the cheating you need to realize that the whole idea with the band is to learn how to eat healthier and control your portions and if your not willing to stick to the diet or restrictions of the band then your going to make it hard on yourself later. Just hang in there and follow the doctors rules and my doctor did say if I didn't shrink my liver they wouldn't put the band in

A friend suggested Goodwill. I was reluctant but when I went shopping I found about three pairs of fabulous capris, one a Calvin Klein, and for blouses very stylish for all about $30.00...I was amazed. I found some size 12...there are also other sizes from xs to 3x. Highly suggest shop as you lose. I've wasted money on clothes that I barely wore especially between the 16-20 sizes.

Thanks everyone! Today's a much better day. I realized after I wrote this that yesterday (the cheat day) I didn't have the half cup of oatmeal in the morning, so I technically skipped a meal which is obviousy why I felt so hungry and in need of carbohydrates later in the day. Today I wrote everything down and placed a check mark next to my requirements. MUCH better this way! And a lot more Water - I used more Crystal Light yesterday than just plain Water, today the plain water is filling me more I think. Who knows?! Maybe yesterday was just an off day and none of that make sense, LOL!

Still counting down, three more days!!!!!