Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello, I am new to this site and wanted to introduce myself. I had the lap band placed on September 12, 2012 by Dr. Stephen Levine in Daytona Beach Florida and have never been happier. I, like everyone here, have struggled with my weight all my life. I tried everything, went to weight watcher camps at age 9 and 15 and yo-yo'd all my life losing but ultimately gaining more in the end. At the beginning of this year at 5'8" I weighed 291lbs. I have lupus and fibromyalgia and I suffered from sleep apnea, I knew I had to do something if I wanted to be around for my children and grandson. A woman I worked with had been over a year post surgery and was very successful, so I sat and talked with her to see if this was something I could do. In November 2011 I attended a seminar by Dr. Levine and decided I was ready, unfortunately my insurance would only cover gastric bypass surgery and I was not willing to go that way for personal reasons. So after changing insurances I set up my first appointment on January 31, 2012 and began my 6 month diet plan to qualify. I stuck to a 50 carb or less a day diet with unlimited Protein and lost 20lbs the first month. I felt so good I joined a local gym and began exercising, by the end of my 6 months I had lost 90lbs and could not believe it. I was able to go off of some of my medications for lupus and fibromyalgia, especially prednisone which I had been taking for over 15 years. I no longer had sleep apnea and my energy level went through the roof. I have gone from a size 22-24 to a 14-16 and can go into a normal store and buy normal size clothes, my girls say I no longer look like an old lady in my spandex and stretch stuff, lol.

I am only at the beginning so I am not sure what to expect from here, having spoke with others who have had the band some have good results some not so good but I believe it is just a matter of discipline and how hard I am willing to work for it. I have heard from friends and family why have the surgery, I have lost so much why bother etc. I am not sorry I did it and I am so excited about the future. Thanks for listening. :)

I do have one question to anyone else who is post op, I am looking into buying a magic bullet, nutri bullet or ninja for food processing when I reach my pureed stage next week, if anyone has tried any of these I am looking for which would work best. Thanks again, hope everyone has a great weekend!

-Rachel

I bought the Magic Bullet, and have used it to puree foods; including Soups & smoothies. Don't really know uch about the others. This is good for making puree's or smoothies for 1 person at a time as even the largest cup isn't really enough for 2 people. But, I like it, and it serves its purpose.

Congrats on getting banded!

Starfish,

Great job on the pre op weight loss. I lost 70 lbs pre op and also had many people ask why I wanted the surgery when I had done so well. Like you I have lost the weight and gained it back so I would explain that to them and the fact that I needed a lifelong change.

I bought a Ninja and honestly haven't used it much at all. I wouldn't spend a lot of money on something like that until you know how much you will use it. I paid about $40.00 on mine and we do use it for other things so I don't feel it was a waste of money.

Congratulations and Good Luck!

It was so nice to read your post. Congratulations on your weight loss and getting throught the surgery. You are a week ahead of me. I am scheduled for the lap band on 9/20/2012 and can not be more excited (and a little anxious) I have 5 days left of this pre op diet. I have lost a total of 22 lbs since my first visit to the surgeon, two months ago. 14 lbs and now 8lbs on the pre op diet. Pretty proud of myself already and can not wait for the 20th to get here. Keep me posted on your journey, it might be nice to read about someone who is one step ahead.

Good Luck and keep up the good work!

Thank you all for your replies, KatNap I hope you are doing well post surgery, I found the next 3-4 days were the hardest. I am now 8 days post-op and feeling good. The port incision still hurts a bit but not enough to keep me from getting around, Today I found out what it's going to feel like after my first fill, lol. I am supposed to be on soft pureed foods until Wednesday, but I ate a chicken tender the kids made for dinner and I felt it get stuck. It was like a burning in my chest and I kept wanting to burp to make it move but it wouldn't. I felt like I was going to be sick, but finally it passed, no more cheating for me, lol. I go back to the surgeon October 1st to see if I will have my first fill. I am so happy I did this, I don't regret it one bit.

Hello' date=' I am new to this site and wanted to introduce myself. I had the lap band placed on September 12, 2012 by Dr. Stephen Levine in Daytona Beach Florida and have never been happier. I, like everyone here, have struggled with my weight all my life. I tried everything, went to weight watcher camps at age 9 and 15 and yo-yo'd all my life losing but ultimately gaining more in the end. At the beginning of this year at 5'8" I weighed 291lbs. I have lupus and fibromyalgia and I suffered from sleep apnea, I knew I had to do something if I wanted to be around for my children and grandson. A woman I worked with had been over a year post surgery and was very successful, so I sat and talked with her to see if this was something I could do. In November 2011 I attended a seminar by Dr. Levine and decided I was ready, unfortunately my insurance would only cover gastric bypass surgery and I was not willing to go that way for personal reasons. So after changing insurances I set up my first appointment on January 31, 2012 and began my 6 month diet plan to qualify. I stuck to a 50 carb or less a day diet with unlimited Protein and lost 20lbs the first month. I felt so good I joined a local gym and began exercising, by the end of my 6 months I had lost 90lbs and could not believe it. I was able to go off of some of my medications for lupus and fibromyalgia, especially prednisone which I had been taking for over 15 years. I no longer had sleep apnea and my energy level went through the roof. I have gone from a size 22-24 to a 14-16 and can go into a normal store and buy normal size clothes, my girls say I no longer look like an old lady in my spandex and stretch stuff, lol.

I am only at the beginning so I am not sure what to expect from here, having spoke with others who have had the band some have good results some not so good but I believe it is just a matter of discipline and how hard I am willing to work for it. I have heard from friends and family why have the surgery, I have lost so much why bother etc. I am not sorry I did it and I am so excited about the future. Thanks for listening. :)

I do have one question to anyone else who is post op, I am looking into buying a magic bullet, nutri bullet or ninja for food processing when I reach my pureed stage next week, if anyone has tried any of these I am looking for which would work best. Thanks again, hope everyone has a great weekend!

-Rachel[/quote']

Congrats on the preop and getting banded :-)