Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Think I Overdid It Too Early

Hi. I was banded Sept.4. Ever since, I've eaten about a bowl of Tomato Soup. Every time I eat it, I feel that "stuffed" feeling you get when you eat too much. And I get a stomach ache and painful burps. I'm going to go back to shake and clear liquid because I'm terrified of stretching out my new tummy... Advice/

Had this same problem! If you're feeling that resistance you should definitely reign it in. My doctor allowed soft foods at week 2 and found I was eating too much, too fast. That stuffed feeling you're having is more likely from swelling and not the same "stuffed" feeling you'll have after you heal and once band is filled. If it's painful, I think going back to Clear liquids is a good idea. Give it another day or two and try again but in smaller portions. If it still doesn't agree, try a different kind of Soup without chunks. Make sure you're taking your time and really get accustomed to your new band before moving on to your new"heavier" types of food. Good luck!! :)

Banded 8/20/2012 - Heaviest: 512 - Current: 461

You're only 5 days post op. You're stomach is still very swollen and wounded. It will take weeks for it for to fully heal. Everything you're feeling is normal.

My best advice is don't try to eat a whole bowl of Tomato Soup, stick to band portions, a cup or less. When you eat, take slow and tiny sips. Also, pause between sips to give it time to get through the swelling and band.

Give yourself time to heal, it gets a lot easier :)

I agree with Mis73, don't try to eat the whole bowl of Soup at once. (if that's whay you're doing) My post op diet instructions for the first week is to only have 4 oz. (1/2 cup) of what ever liquid every hour. I haven't had a hard time sticking to that, due to nausea. But that includes protien shakes and everything. Plus your still healing so take it easy on yourself! :-) I've been working on the same 12 oz Protein Shake all morning in small sips, just to try and get something valuable in my stomach. Good luck!

Hi. I was banded Sept.4. Ever since, I've eaten about a bowl of Tomato Soup. Every time I eat it, I feel that "stuffed" feeling you get when you eat too much. And I get a stomach ache and painful burps. I'm going to go back to shake and clear liquid because I'm terrified of stretching out my new tummy... Advice/

why are trying to eat a whole bowl at one time?

the instructions said to take sips and stay with 1 to 2 oz at a time.

you need to follow your dr's instructions to the letter and stop trying to be

in a hurry to (eat). as missy said, you are healing. you need to focus on that right

now.

hang in there:)

sip sip sip......sloooooowly. You are not stretching your pouch on liquids that just streams through the band. However, you are 'rushing' your liquids down too fast and this will cause 'fullness' and 'gas' quickly because you are swallowing too much air when you drink too fast.

Your stomache is new and needs lots of time to heal, between 4-6 weeks

One key to weight loss and to avoid any negative consequences with meals, even liquids ones is to measure your portion sizes...and to understand that there is no race to consume your Soup or other meals as you progress to advanced stages of the bandster diet.

A bowl of soup does seem like it is way too much to have at a single sitting. I hope you received some pre op nutrition education to let you know what foods you are supposed to focus on at this stage, and also the appropriate amounts.

Hope you feel better...

Thanks everyone for replying. I think I am eating so quickly because I am really hungry. They said they gave me a larger band because I had " thicker than usual" stomach lining. I will slow down and do Clear Liquids, but I'm wondering what I can do, outside drinking, like, 3 Protein Shakes a day, to counteract the hunger part...

My doctor wanted clear liquids for 7 days so full liquids may be to thick for you. Also measure out one cup at a time. Having more servings of clear broth (to help your hunger) will be better than one large serving of Tomato Soup. Broth only has 20 Cal's so don't feel bad having a second cup after an hour.

Tomatoe Soup has citric acid in it. This causes bubbles and gas in any stomach. Some major eating places add a touch of baking soda to remove most of the acid in a tomatoe bisque soup.

Since you are recent post op, try switching to a lowfat cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup. Alternate your days between all 3 Soups.

How fast are most people returning to work? I thought I would be back to self in a few days or week max. I did not plan to be off to long.

How fast are most people returning to work? I thought I would be back to self in a few days or week max. I did not plan to be off to long.

I was thinking the same thing but I was soooo wrong! Banded on 8/10 then thought I would go back 8/15. I made it half the day and was out the rest of the week and part of the next week. My advice is don't overdo it. If you can take the time then take as much as you can. It will be worth it when you are completely healed.