Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is This Caused From Eating To Fast?

Hi everyone, hope all is well :)

I am two weeks post op almost and I am on soft/ blended foods. I'm doing great for the most part I am able to tolerate all things I've eaten....once in a while I feel discomfort after swallowing...it comes about a few seconds after a swallow. Is this from too much food intake or not chewing enought, anyone else experiancimg this? Is it normal or call for concern? Thanks.

I get this for a variety of reasons. Sometimes from too large of a bite, or from not chewing enough, or from eating too fast...I just consider it a gentle reminder to take my time, chew chew chew and cut my food into smaller bites. ;)

Hi,

You've spent a lot of money and had a significant surgery so calling the office is best.

After my banding, my esophagus felt like it just hadn't been stretched very much over the last month due to the pre-op diet, liquids, mushies, etc. Swallowing just seemed to be a tad uncomfortable. I was unused to the very small portions, and slow eating. I soon got over it.

A fun thing you will discover is just how long it takes for food to get from your mouth to your band. I thought it would have been faster, like it dropped down or something. Because of the slower than expected transit time to the band, you can get gradually stuck- it sneaks up on you. So now, you have to be very careful about that. You have to avoid stucks and stresses at the operative site.

This is why the nurse who talks with you can ask all the right questions and give answers that are best for you and your case.

I called once and learned that the doctor put in a small fill during the operation. I was wondering why my band was acting so unforgivingly and quickly returned back to a liquied diet for a couple days to give it a rest and just did a better job with instructions.

I have been banded for 5 years, have done very well, and had absolutely no complications. The relief from my terrible heartburn (despite all meds) has been worth the cost of the surgery. I have #20 pounds left to reach goal. Started #325.

Hope this helps.

Brian

just how long does it take to get to the band? I am hungry in the low stomche area its at least feels this way. I had a very small bite of very thin turkey and it hurt like hurt burn would, or acid reflecs I knew it was the wrong food only wk out so I did desever the pain and it did make me stop but I am trying to put reson to feeling in the bodie so I will learn along the way.

I go to doctor Wed. but all the info I get here gives me great ? to ask.

is cream Soups wrong? A teaspoon every mintue feels and taste good. I of course will ask but what do u think?

boy I need spellcheck badly

LineDance

@ Brian, thanks for the information. I think your right on all points! It has only happened twice..I have had an egg since and was really paying close attention to eating slower and chewing more. It's a life time chance and takes practice.

Hi everyone, hope all is well :)

I am two weeks post op almost and I am on soft/ blended foods. I'm doing great for the most part I am able to tolerate all things I've eaten....once in a while I feel discomfort after swallowing...it comes about a few seconds after a swallow. Is this from too much food intake or not chewing enought, anyone else experiancimg this? Is it normal or call for concern? Thanks.

it could be,,,being only 2 weeks post op, you could still be somewhat still swollen. just take baby bites, chew alot like the other posters said....also, just go slow..all the best honey :)