Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Alcohol With Lapband

So here's my question, I just had my lap-band surgery 4 days ago. My husband and I are going away mid September for our 10 year wedding anniversary. At that time I will be on my second week of soft food and 4 weeks post-op. I hate that I won't be able to drink any alcohol. Besides getting really drunk on a sip or 2 what else could happen?

Drunk on a sip or two? Not unless you were seriously susceptible to the effects of alcohol pre-band.

The issues with alcohol and the lapband are that alcohol is empty calories, drinking alcohol can lower your resistance to making poor food choices, and you may be affected more quickly by a smaller amount of alcohol. I had a drink on Friday evening (16 months post-op) and felt the effects quite quickly.

You should be fine... I had 2 glasses of red wine 2 weeks after surgery and it was heaven.

It didn't affect me any different and I am still losing weight!

I was afraid to drink at first also but found out it was ok. The biggest thing is the added calories so drink in moderation. Also remember don't drink with your meal. Wait an hour and have after dinner drinks.< /p>

Echoing what everyone else said, drinking in moderation is okay. Be sure to track your calories to make sure you don't overdo it. Alcohol can be high calorie with no Protein payoff, and consequently I avoid it. My doctor also said both alcohol and caffeine are appetite stimulants as well.

Ah, I couldn't live with my frozen margaritas! Alcoholic drinks offer no nutritional value and are simply empty calories, so you must track them closely. SageTracey hit the nail right on the head! My thought is, a few drinks will not hurt you, but definitely won't help your weight loss goals either.

You should be fine... I had 2 glasses of red wine 2 weeks after surgery and it was heaven.

It didn't affect me any different and I am still losing weight!

Awesome, I'm so excited. I'm not going to go over board but if I want a drink or 2 I want to be able to have it. BTW you look fabulous!!!

Ah, I couldn't live with my frozen margaritas! Alcoholic drinks offer no nutritional value and are simply empty calories, so you must track them closely. SageTracey hit the nail right on the head! My thought is, a few drinks will not hurt you, but definitely won't help your weight loss goals either.

Got it :)

Thank you Amy!!!! Best of luck!!! And congrats!

You should be able to at least have a few glasses of wine, etc. Just keep your calorie intake up....which you can do with a soft diet too. Just don't overdrink...

Anything fizzy really hurts me now, but I love champagne. I had a glass a week ago but poured it between 2 glasses until it went kinda flat. I was never told no carbonation but realised pretty quickly how bad it hurts me.

Anything fizzy really hurts me now, but I love champagne. I had a glass a week ago but poured it between 2 glasses until it went kinda flat. I was never told no carbonation but realised pretty quickly how bad it hurts me.

Yes, I do know that anything carbonated is a big NO NO. Not only does it hurt it could stretch the band. Try not to drink your champagne unless its completely flat :)

Beware of the empty calories...and you will likely find that less alcohol or wine will affect you faster and stronger than prior to your surgery.

My surgeon advised his patients that a bandster can be considered legally drunk according to their BAC with only one drink. Be certain ahead of time that you will not need to drive.