Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why Are People So Negative Regarding The Lapband?

I saw some extended family today who didn't know I had lapband surgery(well not until my mother felt the need to tell everyone) and the negative comments were plenty. I was even told that my cousin had gastric bypass because the doctors told her they don't like doing lapbands because of so many problems. Really? I just stayed to her that maybe her doc was inexperienced with them and that's the reason. I then heard other comments. I didn't argue and defend my decision. I just told them that they had their opinion and I had mine and let's just keep it at that. Why can't they just shut up if they don't know what they are talking about? I would never make comments to someone about the type of surgery they had.

i know! people bash what they don't understand i think....It just gives us all the more need to prove them all wrong!

Isn't that the truth! I have such a hard time keeping my big mouth shut to them I almost bite off my tongue lol

Isn't that the truth! I have such a hard time keeping my big mouth shut to them I almost bite off my tongue lol

Well don"tcha know it's just the easy way out LOL.. Thats what I heard and the great debate a friend had gastric a day after mine and she lost 125 lbs but her whole personality changed.. the comments about her is they cut the fun out of her.People who have not had this surgery have no idea what iot is like so I just tell them How happy I am with my band and shrug off the comments, I did this for me not anyone else.

Well, my doctor himself explained to me that many doctors try to dissuade people out of the lapband because the big money maker is in the operating room. With Gastric Bypass/ Sleeve they operate, get paid, and never have to see the patient again. With Lapband, the doctor alots a lot of time to followups and fills and that's not where the big bucks are.

Not sure if i would believe this if I hadn't heard it from my doc himself

THIS is where some of the lap band negativity comes from in my opinion

I'm getting my band sometime in the next few weeks. I go in on Monday to set the appointment and start my diet that day as well. I want SO bad to tell everyone about it (Facebook!) but I'm scared as to what they'll say. I'm excited and sooo ready to do the surgery and no one will take that from me, but I'm not strong enough to deal with the negativity right now and I'm sure there will be someone that won't agree with my decision! Only my mother, boyfriend, and 3 close friends know about me getting it and 2/3 of the friends have had weight loss surgery, neither banded though!

I didn't want anyone ruining my excitement. I had surgery yesterday and mentioned it casually on fb today. My journey, my rules. :)

I told very few people in the begining I didn't want to here the negative didn't need that for a good recovery. I got some many negative comments after I had my daughter that I didn't want to deal with any of those people and there comments.

People say stupid things and I hate the people who say just excersice and diet but yet they need to loss weight too. The people I have told have been so supportive of my decision and with each month after surgery I tell more and more people. The stronger I get with dealing with all this the better I can handle any negative comments.

Im the same way..I want to tell everyone but I figure it will b easier once I drop 100plus pds...

Sent from my SGH-T989 using LapBandTalk

I saw some extended family today who didn't know I had lapband surgery(well not until my mother felt the need to tell everyone) and the negative comments were plenty. I was even told that my cousin had gastric bypass because the doctors told her they don't like doing lapbands because of so many problems. Really? I just stayed to her that maybe her doc was inexperienced with them and that's the reason. I then heard other comments. I didn't argue and defend my decision. I just told them that they had their opinion and I had mine and let's just keep it at that. Why can't they just shut up if they don't know what they are talking about? I would never make comments to someone about the type of surgery they had.

it seems to me that there are more comments about lap band surgery than any other... and it brings out the cattiness in a lot of people. what is it ?? If someone was able to lose weight spending a fortune on a personal trainer and living at the gym .. thats o.k.. Never mind how much money was spent.. but the moment people hear about lap band away they go !! this is why i never tell anyone. anyone would think that we never had to lift a finger to do anything for ourselves !! it makes me angry. This is what ignorance does to people.

I actually sorta lied when I was asked HOW I was losing weight. I said "eating less and moving more", which is actually true but.......

I've only told a very few about my band and have only had excellent support from them, my mom was worried, she knew someone who had bypass and still ate cupcakes & candy! i assured her that I didn't make this decision overnight (took me 2 years of research) and I wasn't about to mess up with junk food.

I was banded April 23rd and have lost 60 pounds so far + 20 pounds required by Medicare prior to surgery. Would I do it again, you bet! the loss has slowed downed in the last 6 weeks but is still on par with the 1-2 pounds a week. I am thrilled.

If you do choose to tell the world that's up to you, but be prepared to ignore the ignorant.

Roni

I too, have not told anyone besides for my mom and sisters

I find that people tend to get cheeky and will assume your "taking the easy way out" with WLS

I didn't want anyone raining on my parade. I'm the type of person who cannot stand up for myself, so if someone would put me down for this decision it would kill me,

Sure I wish I was a stronger more confident person- but i'm not there yet!

people that don't understand the lapband will have negative things to say. 9/10 people i told about it first responded with a negative remark about something they heard that had happened. bad news spreads faster than good news, you don't hear about all the people who've been helped by the band. If you want support from them, don't count on it... I told too many people and heard alot of BS...