Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why Isnt This Working For Me?

My name is lindsey and I just recently turned 21. I got my lab band at 16 and so far since I've had it I havent lost any weight. I've lost maybe about ten pounds and that's it! I do everything right I've had four fills, I work out consitaly, I eat right, I've had everything tested my thyroid my metabolism I'm mean I'm doing everything I physically can to lose weight with this tool that is supposed to be helping me. As of now I'm beyond annoyed with it because it gives me more problems then it's helping. It's just more of an annoyance then it's helping me. I've been to my doctor many times asking him why its not working and the best answer he could give me was I was working out to much! So i stopped working out as much and I still can't loose the weight. I've been to other doctors that look puzzled at me when I tell them that I have had this thing for five years and I still haven't lost weight. Idk what to do anymore and I'm getting to the point where I just want it removed! It's not worth having for me. I look at some of your post that say youve lost 90 lbs in the first year and think that I'm doing something wrong but idk what it is? I'm going nuts. Suggestions would be much welcomed!

Yes I have been to them. And I eat between 15-1800 cams a day. I just recently got my forth fill in June and have been following what my doctor has said for me to eat.

Your calorie count seems a bit high for a banded woman, perhaps you could try cutting out some of the calories and see if that helps? Most dietitians recommend about 1200 calories a day for women.

Can I also ask your current weight and height? That also plays a big part in required calories.

I find that 1200 calories per day is the target for weight loss. You need to religiously weigh, measure and record your food every single day. Don't assume! I use My Fitness Pal iPhone app and it has helped tremendously!

Hi Lindsey,

I agree with the above posters, and I've found that little, seemingly insignificant things can derail my weight loss. For example, if I eat ANYTHING between meals, that seems to stop or slow mine. If I eat too many carbs, same thing. If I don't drink enough Water, etc. I would take the advice of those above and reduce my caloric intake a bit and see what happens. Don't give up. Just keep tweaking until you hit the right formula, and eliminate any outside cheats or variables.

Best of luck.

D.

. 1800 sounds more like maintainence

I lost my weight eating 1000 to 1100 calories per day. And that was with my drs blessing

I would talk to yours...maybe you need a fill

You only had 4 fills?? You probably don't even have restriction. I had my surgery in December and I've had about 6/7 fills so far.

Are you weighing your Protein? My doctor says 3 oz. I prefer skinless chicken breast. I agree with previous posters that 1800 is a high calorie count. If you are not measuring your Protein you will eat to much. You may need to isolate your protein so you know you are getting the right amount. I find eating casserols is tough because you often get way to much potato/rice/pasta and not enough protein. Have you cut out potato, Pasta, rice, crackers, all liquid calories?

You mentioned doing a lot of exercise. What kind, how long and how many days a week? I am a slow loser. I was unemployeed for 7 months and would do a 2 hour walk in the morning and a 1 hour Water aerobics class at night. I eat around 1200 cals a day and still lost less than a pound a week.

16 years old? Wow. Hmm

How many carbs are you eating? Aim for less than 50g per day and you should lose in no time. 1800 does seem high to someone working out but if you're overloaded on carbs that could be a problem.

Yea 1800 Cal is wat I was eatn before I wad banded. N thats for someine who wants to maintain thier Wt not lose

Sent from my SGH-T989 using LapBandTalk

Have you been to a nutritionist? Do you count calories? If so, about how many calories do you eat in a day?

i think you badly need to see a nutritionalist. They are way more qualified to help in this situation. i feel for your frustration though. To have the band in that long and not lose much weight must be really frustrating. Let us know what you are going to do.

I wish I could eat 1800 calories a day! I struggle to get more than 600. I've become obsessed with myfitnesspal and Protein powders/bars and cutting out carbs. For instance, there is SO MUCH sugar in most weight loss shakes, I was floored. I went out and got the Atkins stuff instead, much better.