Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Let's Start Here!!

So, there are actually quite a few nurses that have been (or are going to be) banded so I thought I would be the first to post a thread here.

Let's start by introducing ourselves here.

Name: Jess

Where you work (unit): Operating Room

When were you banded/when you plan to be banded: Hopefully October

Anything else you want us to know: I LOVE photography and scrapbooking/crafting. I have 2 kids 11 & 13 and have been happily married for almost 16 years (November).

Hi Jess!

I am Karen. Getting banded Aug 27th.

Yikes!!! Still have to work tomorrow...protein drink and all.

Where I work-Tele stepdown unit

Anything else you want to know- I love photography too....an my beloved Beatles....

I have one kid 23 and two four legged children "Lucky and Abbey"

Rule one I found out: Protein drinks-make sure lid is on before you shake!!!

Hi, I'm Heather. I work on a Rehab Unit in a nursing home, short term stay s/p joint surgeries, falls/fx, s/p CVA and general reconditioning. Its a 20 bed unit (soon to be 25 beds come next month). I'm an evening shift RN on the floor.

I am just starting the process to get banded. I am at the border line for whether or not my insurance will cover and don't even have my seminar until next month. I'll be seeing Dr O'Malley here in Rochester NY, a leader in the area. If I fall into where my insurance won't pay, I am considering doing self pay in Mexico.

Other stuff about me, well I am married and have a 17 yr old step son, and 2 boys age 20 and 23. My oldest and his wife live with us with my 6 month old grandson, and my 20 yr old lives here while he goes to comm college. I have rheumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia, interstitial cystitis, GERD and bipolar type 2 (unfortunately for all those dx none are considered co-morbidities for my insurance, naturally!

It's nice to know there are other nurses here!

Hi Heather....hey I was thinking that GERD was a co-morbidity and you would think the RA would be....duh!! Stupid insurance companies.

Anyway, it's nice to meet both of you...hopefully we will get some more nurses to follow.

GERD actually is considered a comorbidity but just not for my insurance company. DJD is a comorbidity for a lot of companies, but not mine. Of course they don't consider RA as obesity related since it's autoimmune, but all I know is that if I weighed less I would definitely feel less pain!

I left a message with my PCP today to ask for a referral for a sleep study. That's the only other thing my insurance will cover that I haven't been tested for. It's unclear if I even have symptoms because my husband has severe sleep apnea and uses CPAP which is kind of noisy, plus my pug bunks with us and he definitely snores...loudly! LOL :)

But I agree-----stupid insurance companies! Argh! I know it would help my pain so much which would allow me to decrease some of my *expensive* meds! Oh well..........apparently, while my insurance company *does* require going through the weight loss program they don't require the 5% weight loss. So it'll be a fine line!

Hi everyone!

My name is Jerilyn and will be going for my seminar on Sept 10th. I work nights as a back up supervisor on a busy subacute rehab unit. As I like to tell people, insurance won't keep them in the hospital and they are to sick to go home. I have done the herbalife,ww,optifast diets all with some success. Have had 2 back surgeries and one knee. Not gonna lie...I am very scared...esp since I have taken care of residents who have had sleeves done...etc...with complications...also, I was soooo sick with my last back surgery...OK enough rambling for now!

Hello all.

My name is Lydsss, I am one of the nurse supervisors at a nursing home in Toronto, I am a single mom to a 7yr old boy. I am just starting the process; having trouble choosing bet. 2 clinics, the first one I like because the surgeon is well known and very experienced, the other clinic I like because they offer life time after care; but their chief surgeon has 4yrs of experience. Also debating bet. the band and the sleeve, but not comfortable with the idea of having a portion of my stomach removed, sounds more scary then the band (my opinion at least lol), but less maintenance then the band.

There is always one of the two that makes you feel more confident and relaxed. Go with that one. As a nurse just let yourself relax and ask yourself which one makes you feel like you are in the best hands. then you will get your answer.

Hi everyone, I'm new to lapbandtalk and so happy to see a nurse's group. I'm a new nurse (LVN) but have worked in health care for over 20 years. (CNA, MA) I work in long term care, 50 beds; we do some rehab, hoping to do much more! I'm not banded yet, but my surgeon is submitting paperwork now, as I'm past the psych eval, nutritionist, 1st consult with surgeon. I hope my ins. co approves! I'm married and live in Northern Calif (Modesto area), have 4 (grown) step children, 4 grand children. I love gardening, my dogs, my husband, my family...I'm trying to love exercise ;) I'm hoping to find some great in-person support in our (rural) area. Thanks for creating this group! :)

Hi, my name is Annette, I'm from Florida, I've been a RN for 28 years mostly in pediatrics, now I'm a school nurse(Love it!) :D

I am self pay for the band(my insurance co. doesn't cover weight loss surgery at all!!) and surgery is 12/18/2012.

I've had 13 knee surgeries (over 30 years)

I am a widow with 1 son (24) who lives with me. I enjoy going to Jaguar games even though we're in last place, also love dogs, kids and going to the movies.

Hi everyone!

I am an RN and I work for a skilled nursing facility! Nice to see a group of "nurse" banders:)

Just had my surgery done on 12/21/12!

I am a wife and a mother of 2 wonderful little boys!

Hello Everyone, So nice to see a RN group here.

My name is Stephanie. I am a NICU RN in Colorado.

Mom of 3 boys (ages 1.5-10).

I was banded in Nov 2009 with my husband. I had a pregnancy in between than and now but still reached my 2nd goal of 175. Now I'm looking forward to losing the rest :)

Hi!

My name is Amelia and I am a NICU nurse. I am having surgery on 8/14/13. A little nervous, but excited! Any tips or suggestions?

My name is Stephanie and I'm a labor and delivery nurse. I love my job and bringing babies into the world. I have 2 kids, 13 and 17 and an awesome husband. I'm getting banded in December 2013 and I'm so excited. Yesterday at the waterpark with the kids I had my first NSV and I haven't even got the band yet! I was sitting there thinking "this is the last summer I will wear a SWIM DRESS!!!" I may never wear a bikini and I don't even care about, even though I do rock the swim dress!! LOL! I've already done so much research I could probably do the surgery and open my own clinic. Sometimes it doesn't help being a nurse ! :P

Hi everyone! I'm Sarah from central Illinois. I've been an RN for 9.5 years, the majority spent in cardiology, the last 3 in cardiac intensive care. I love critical care. :) I'm a mom of two (13 year old son, 7 year old daughter) and I've been happily married to my husband, Bill, for 8 years. I was just recently banded on 9/24/13. The biggest struggle I've had so far is trying to meet my dietary and Fluid requirements while at work! But I'm find ways to make it work, and my coworkers are awesome and VERY supportive in my journey!