Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello , I'm Dawn I had the lap band a year ago Aug 26th . I had my first fill in Jan. I have lost 20 pounds and have stopped loosing .I really need some support and friend ship . I only get 1/2 a cc of fill at a time . My doctor tells me I have a finicky band and I cant tolerate much fill at once . Looking forward to meeting you all .Thanks, Dawn ,from Columbia Sc .

Hi Dawn and Welcome!

A couple questions, so we can help: You got the band in August 2011 but didn't get a first fill until January? Why? Also, when you doctor says you have a finicky band and can only have 1/2cc fills at a time, is there a reason he says that? Has he tried putting more in your band in the past?

Also, are you sticking to a cup or less of food per meal? Do you count calories? If so, about how many calories a day do you eat?

Sorry for all the questions, it's not to be nosy but knowing is how we can best help :)

I dont count calories ;[ I focus on protiens and try not to eat Ice cream :(

My doctor only puts 1/2 because I was throwig up ,couldn't lay down with out getting sick .

I had to wait a few months because of insurance reasons , I moved to another state .I wanted my insurance to cover it .

I eat more then a 1/2 cup at each meal . Dont feel that much of a restriction yet , I have 4 1/2 cc I get a fill every month by the end of the month I can eat more than in the first part .

Have you seen a nutritionist? If not, I highly recommend doing so. A nutritionist who deals with bariatric patients can really help take the guess work out of eating and help you set up food guidelines that fit in your lifestyle.

I would also strongly suggest logging calories for awhile. Most people who don't count calories are shocked at how much they're actually consuming when they do start tracking their food intake. Also, it will help keep you accountable to what you eat. It's one thing to rationalize eating something in your head, it's another entirely when you see it in black and white and can't deny the facts in front of you. Plus, logging your food for awhile and taking the logs into a nutritionist would help you even more, because the nutritionist can help you recognize problem areas to change.

I use an app called Lose It to track my calories and nutrients. I've used it since the day I got home from the hospital and it's helped tremendously.

I would also stay within the band portions of a cup or less of food per meal, regardless of whether or not you can still physically eat more. If you're getting hungry too soon, try spreading a set amount of calories out so that you can eat every 2 hours but while staying within your daily calorie budget. Again, this is where tracking calories will help you, and this will help you to lose even while you're trying to get good restriction in your band.

Best wishes to you.

Hi Dawn

Welcome - hope you can find the support and answers to your question here.

I could always eat more than a cup too until i got to the right restricion which took me about 1 year.

Other than the band I think what has been the most beneficial to my weight loss is exercise and logging my food. I use MyFittnessPal and it keeps track of my calories in and burned and my protien. Really helps keep me accountable to myself and you really see what you are eating. Sometimes it is way more than you think. I think you will see that a lot of bandsters here log their food.

Anyway, welcome and best of luck to you on your journey!