Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Surgery But No Weight Loss

Hello. I was banded saturday and I am swollen but feeling discouraged over the scale's refusal to move. Still on liquids only. Did anyone else experience no weight loss directly after surgery? I am hoping I am retaining Water. I just feel miserable and it would sure be nice to have some weight loss. My stomach is sticking way out!

I was banded Friday and yesterday was up 5 pounds from pre-surgery! Today was down 9 pounds. They pump you full of fluids. Just focus on healing at this point. It's really not about the scale at this point. Focus on healing and hydration! The weight will come off down the road. Best of luck!

Hello. I was banded saturday and I am swollen but feeling discouraged over the scale's refusal to move. Still on liquids only. Did anyone else experience no weight loss directly after surgery? I am hoping I am retaining Water. I just feel miserable and it would sure be nice to have some weight loss. My stomach is sticking way out!

You were banded less than a week ago, you're probably swelling. I wouldn't expect any loss this soon. Your body needs to heal.

you dont loss wt for six weeks or so so dont get on scale then be discouraged it will happen im 3 months out after six week mark things will change as you get fills too congrats sit back and heal you changed your life for ever good job

You were just operated on a couple days ago. They pumped you full of all kinds of IV fluids and drugs, most people actually show a temporary gain because of all of it.

The first 4-6 weeks after surgery are for healing, not for losing. The losing will come but right now you need to focus on healing. My best advice is try to make good food choices and stick to band sized portions but put the scale away entirely for at least the next month.

Just focus on healing.

I didn't weigh after surgery because it can be discouraging u were pumped full iv dripped to ensure you were hydrated & getting some nutrition in addition you were inflated with gas until you release the gas fluids and swelling it is not your true weight don't stress yourself out I was banded on 15Aug and I wont know my weight until 30Aug when I go to my follow up appt

I spent two whole nights in the bathroom voiding (literally). Would kind of preferred a couple days of the scale being up.

Don't weigh everyday and let 7 days go by. Heal first, SIP your Water. You can worry about weight loss later. You have a band, but NO restriction, and you are full of gas. Heating pad and walks even if you have no pain. The heating pad helps relax your back muscles and release stress from surgery trumna. When your body is relaxed everything works smoothly. Be positive and Best Wishes.

I'm 6 days post-op and I'm still swollen. I gained several pounds from the iv fluids and gas so hopefully when the swelling goes down I'll see my pre-op weight again. In the mean time I'm eating small quantities and drinking, drinking, drinking! :-)

I was curious about how much Fluid I would gain in the hospital so I weighted right before heading to the hospital and then immediately after getting home. Up 7 pounds! All IV fluids. You need to be hydrated, and they do a darn good job of it! It carries you over while you can't get enough in. I'm only 8 days out from surgery and down 16 pounds since starting the pre-op diet. I have just set my goals for the upcoming year (broken up by month) and plan to weigh myself only once a week. Hope I can stick to my plan, summer '13 will be a blast if I come close to what I think are reasonable goals!

Thank you everyone for the words of encouragement and support. I am going to stop weighing myself daily and stick with weekly. I will focus on healing for a while. :)

Same thing happened to me. One day after surgery my scale showed a gain of 5 lbs

I too, was freaking out but just remember to be patient. The weight WILL come off

As frustrating as it may be, it really is true when they say that the first few weeks are not for losing but for healing. Your body has been through the trauma of surgery, in combo with the altered diet, it's in panic mode. It's going to hold on to all of the Water and calories it gets. You need to give yourself time to let your body calm down.

I was up about 6 lbs the day after surgery. It was shocking, but within a few weeks I was back to steadily losing. Don't worry or get discouraged, it will get better.