Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Realistic Weight Goal (?)

I need to lose 70 (more) pounds to reach my goal weight. I realize everyone loses at a different rate. Is the average weight loss about 1 pound per week? I am not sure why I was expecting more ?? Thanks for sharing your story.

Everyone is different. When I was actively losing, I lost an average of 0.75 lbs per week. it was slow, but I did not put great effort into it. I let the band work and, listened to it, did not journal or measure my food, and was happy with that rate. I knew I could live with my new habits for life.

My Dr told me most lap band patients lose about 50% of their excess weight. But I think everyone is different and you can lose more depending on how hard and long you work at it. I have lost 85% of my excess weight. Just recognize it takes time but if you stay focus I think you can hit any goal you set.

I also don't track food often (maybe a few times a month to see where I'm at) and only eyeball portions when not tracking. My loss rates vary, but averaged out weekly, it's about 1.5-2 lbs.

As for the statistical loss average, every Dr tells patients a certain amount. Can you imagine what would happen if a surgeon told their patients they would lose 100% of excess weight and they did not? It does not mean it's impossible, but is not a guarantee.

I echo everyone above. We all lose at different rates. We get stuck at times and may sit at the same weight for months on end. Doctors do say, 50% weight lose is what is the expectation and most doctors are happy with that. I was not. I have lost 95% of my excess weight and have 5 lbs left to lose to reach my ideal body weight. I have followed the rules, I am one of the odd balls, I weigh and measure my food, I journel my food and I do cardio 2 days a week and strength training 4 days a week. The most improtant thing is not to get discouraged if the scale does not move. Many times I have lost inches and not pounds. I do weigh myself every morning, but no longer get upset if the scale goes up or down a pound, I finally realize this is normal. Good luck.

Everyone is different. When I was actively losing, I lost an average of 0.75 lbs per week. it was slow, but I did not put great effort into it. I let the band work and, listened to it, did not journal or measure my food, and was happy with that rate. I knew I could live with my new habits for life.

well put.. this is the best way to go. No doubt.

If I only loss 50% I will consider it a failure. But that's me.

I would too but that number comes from what drs report their patients lose.

I agree, I wouldn't be happy at all if I only lost 50% of my excess weight.

But... I will say this. I have lost 50% of my weight so far, and while I still plan to lose a lot more weight, even if I did stop losing today I'm a heck of a lot better off than I was when I was 131 pounds heavier.

I very firmly believe how much you lose is entirely up to you and how much you're willing to work for it.

I seem.to b.losing 3 per week. But I workout 5x a week

Sent from my SGH-T989 using LapBandTalk

I averaged 10 lbs per month. Now that I am close to goal (13 lbs to go) it's about 5 per month...everyone is different. My dr told me it would take 2.5 yrs. it's been 21 months

Banded in may have a 14cc band got 4cc fill n June and 2cc in August still no weight loss and no restriction. Any advice ?

Banded in may have a 14cc band got 4cc fill n June and 2cc in August still no weight loss and no restriction. Any advice ?

Before I would comment we really need to know more information. Like are you following the rules? Are you eating enough Protein? Are you exercising?

During the first 4-6 weeks it is not uncommon not to loss, everyone is different. From my own expereince all I can say is that I try and eat at least 80 gms of Protein a day and I do exercise daily. The weight loss has not been as fast as I thought it would be it has taken me almost 2 years to lose 114 lbs, which is an average of around a pound of week but sometimes I have sat for months and not moved the scale at all. It took me a while to realize that this was going to be a journey and not a fast fix but honestly, I did not gain all this weight overnight and it did not fall off over night. Lapband has forced me to deal with poor behaviors and coping skills and has helped me grow emotionally. good luck to you.

My doc was thrilled with 3-5 lbs per month. I've been closer to 3 lbs per month since starting solids. I lost 9 lbs in 2 week pre-op, 11 lbs in 2 week post op diet, and 5 lbs in the 6 weeks since going on normal food.

I track every crumb I put in my mouth.

I've been so busy I have not been able to make it to the gym at all. I walk about 2x per week. I tend to try and make my "meetings" in a place where I can also walk. I have walking dates, where I used to schedule dinner dates or dinner meetings.

According to the medical charts, I was 80lbs overweight. My goal is to lose 50 and then think about setting new goals. I think that's realistic. If I could get to my pre-baby weight (of 14 years ago), I'd be happy. That would require me to loose a total of 60 lbs.