Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling Discouraged..

Feeling like idk if I can change the way I eat. My parents don't think I can do it. Well they are nervous that I'll do this surgery for nothing, bc I won't change my eating habits. Ugh not that my family doesn't believe in me or whatever they are worried for me. Makes me think too that I'll have a hard time. I like food and love pop. I have to stop drinking pop forever. And find foods that are healthier or all around better choices. I'll have to find a pop alternate. Is sports drinks okay? Gatorade or Powerade? I need something more then water! Help

Dont feel discouraged. Youve come this far. You made the decision in ur mind that you want to lose weight dont worry about the nay sayers. Honestly, your eating habits will change because things you were able to eat before you might not be able to eat. This is coming from someone who ate Pasta, pizza, rice, and potatoes everyday. The only person you have anything to prove to is yourself. We are all here to see you succeed. If you need something other than Water try the Water Enhancer like mio that helps alot or the crystal light drink packets. Occasionally, i will have a juice or an arizona green tea.

Thank you. And those are the same foods I eat now. Like I seriously will eat till my stomach kills. What if I eat past what the lapband is telling me?

I was addicted to diet soda before my lap band surgery in April of this year. I don't miss it a bit! I have substituted Fuze drinks (low sugar ones) and crystal light.

Thank you. And those are the same foods I eat now. Like I seriously will eat till my stomach kills. What if I eat past what the lapband is telling me?

Ive done it on a couple of occasions and from my experience ive thrown up or have been in pain for hours. Once you do it once or twice trust me you wont want to have that feeling. There are still times when i eat and dont feel full or eat and then a couple of hrs later be hungry again. My doctor told me to eat a 1/2 a cup of food first and then of ur hungry later eat another 1/2 a cup. I used to b able to eat a whole pot of Pasta, rice, or potatoes. I definitely understand where you coming from. I still crave those foods but ill have it once a month if that. But i was told by several ppl that my eat habits have changed. So you can do it and I believe in you.

It is all up to you. I drank almost exclusively soda, but when I made the decision to do lap band I stopped. I have been off sodas for about four months. I had surgery a week ago. I don't miss the sodas. But it is as much a mind set as anything. The band is a tool not a cure all. You can do it if you want to.

I want to do this. I need this. My surgery is August 29th. Ten days away!! I am so excited yet of course a little nervous about the post op. Not really during surgery. I want to prove to myself I can do this and see the looks I get from people and them saying wow you look great! Haha. I will have to have my eyes on the prize. And picture myself 90lbs less :)

We have the same surgery date!! I ate the same foods as you until I couldn't move I was so full. Now I concentrate on my protien, veggies, and lots of Water with mio or crystal light. Everyone has been saying "if you can do it now why have surgery?" They just don't understand that I've done this before and if I could stick to it on my own I wouldn't be fat. We can do this!!!!

If you haven't met with a nutritionist already, I suggest doing so before you go in for surgery. They can help you set up realistic food guidelines to make eating after being banded a lot simpler.

You will have to change the way you eat forever. It's not easy but it can be done. It all comes down to how determined you are to lose weight and keep it off.

Best wishes.

We have the same surgery date!! I ate the same foods as you until I couldn't move I was so full. Now I concentrate on my protien' date=' veggies, and lots of Water with mio or crystal light. Everyone has been saying "if you can do it now why have surgery?" They just don't understand that I've done this before and if I could stick to it on my own I wouldn't be fat. We can do this!!!![/quote']

People feel by getting the surgery its the easy way out but boy if they knew what we have to go through to get the surgery and how we have to continue to make lifestyle changes. I hear you ive done diets for years and havent been able to stick with them. My doctor told me you still have to diet the band is just a tool to help you lose weight. And you both can do this.

Good luck to both of you

Feeling like idk if I can change the way I eat. My parents don't think I can do it. Well they are nervous that I'll do this surgery for nothing, bc I won't change my eating habits. Ugh not that my family doesn't believe in me or whatever they are worried for me. Makes me think too that I'll have a hard time. I like food and love pop. I have to stop drinking pop forever. And find foods that are healthier or all around better choices. I'll have to find a pop alternate. Is sports drinks okay? Gatorade or Powerade? I need something more then water! Help

gonna be tough..so dont hate me

but the more you dwell on what you are giving up, the harder it will be...

you can eat/drink whatever you want. some dr's dont care if you drink soda and then some do. the

band is a little 3 inch plastic band that helps you get full on smaller amounts. if you over eat,the band will let you know. you will have to make

better decisions on your food choices. if you dont, then you may not lose weight.

i was a soda addict, the day i started my pre op in late may, was my last soda......i am a crystal light gal now.

start focusing on what will happen to you, lose weight, getting healthy, smaller clothes instead of i cant drink soda. who knows, maybe your dr will say you can..instead of i cant have this or that........having this or that got us to where we needed WLS. me included.

but you need a positive attitude. you came this far. keep going.

all the best on your upcoming surgery.

Hi Cmarie,

Regarding foods you won't be able to eat....I can relate to your feelings.

The day before my surgery, I walked around Target saying goodbye to twizzlers, peeps and other such candy. I thought I wouldn't be able to eat them for the rest of my life. But fast forward I can eat them..l.but I dont want them anymore.

One thing to factor in... When you start losing weight, and your clothes are smaller, and you get compliments from friends and family.... You may not want to eat these things because you love your new life.

This happened to me... Don't get me wrong..I would fall off the wagon....but get right back on.

There's nothing better then to be able to fit in a plane seat without an extra belt. Plus the first time my collar bones came out....I was ecstatic.

Regarding soda.... I didn't drink some for the first 3 years. The first year I couldn't drink it without it bubbling back up. But then I got out of the habit of drinking it. I do drink soda now and it's fine.

If I eat too much... I have a PB (productive burp) and/or it starts to hurt. Before the band... I thought about food 24/7. After the band...I would only think about eating when I was truly hungry.

If you want this... You can do it. Some of the things that helped me was to journal everything I ate. I did it on my fitness pal. There are many good APPs to journal calories, etc. I also only weighed myself once a month. The scale was driving me crazy and I exercised. It helped me to reason not to eat junk if I did it.

Ice cream was a big issue for me as it is easier to eat then real food.

Anyway I hope this helps.....

Joanne