Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Port Bump And Exciting New Pains!

Well maybe exciting isn't the word. Two days ago when I woke up, I had this horrible pain behind my left shoulder. It felt like muscle pain, only hurting when I moved my arm a certain way (like to pick up a phone on my right side while using my left arm for example). I thought I had just slept on it wrong, but it didn't go away the next day or the day after that. Yesterday I noticed it hurts when I take really deep breaths too, which concerns me. Now I'm not sure if it's something in my lungs or just muscle pain. It came on very suddenly and I haven't injured that area, recently or in the past. After the surgery they gave me this device to breath into, and told me to use it four times a day after surgery so that my lungs would be healthy and I wouldn't get pneumonia. Well I did but I stopped after a week or two when I was up and moving and breathing normally. Did I maybe stop too soon? The pain seems to be getting worse. It still only hurts when I move or breath very very deeply, but this morning it was so bad I had to take the post-op pain meds. Any ideas on what it could be?

Also, is it normal to feel the port under your port scar? I couldn't at first (or maybe I just didn't notice it), but I felt it a couple of days ago. There's a very hard bump right beneath the port scar which I assume is the port itself. I haven't lost THAT much weight, and it seems to be pretty close under my skin so it's concerning me a little. None of my other scars have bumps beneath them. This is normal though right?

As long as I'm making a post, I have one more question. (avert your eyes, men!) Any ladies out there experiencing really irregular periods since the weight loss started? Mine has always been perfectly regular, but that stopped almost immediately when I started the pre-op diet. Now I'm just spotty all the time and sometimes it's heavier than others. It's become impossible to track. My PCP wasn't concerned when I saw her before surgery. I had a good relationship with my period, I very rarely even have to take any pain meds for it. Is that going to change? :(

the shoulder pain could be from gas build up,

i don't have any suggestions for the breathing issues, I took my oxygen off within 2 hrs of surgery and have been fine ever since, I know a deep breath is painful because it goes to the bottom of my lungs and into my diaphram area.

There are many posts on here that just the diet changes are enough to change your cycle. things will mellow out once your body adjusts to the diet change which it hard with it constantly changing right after surgery. then about the time it adjusts to the diet it will need to adjust to the weight change so it could be a while. everyone is different.

Hopefully it just needs to adjust to the diet.

I wish you luck.

i have had the arm pain from day one the only thing that helped me was getting a fill. It is called defered pain from the band rubbing on the diaphram. sad to day that the fills that were needed to keep the pain down caused the espougas to be paralized and dialited causing me to having the band removed this month. only 2% of people get this hopefully you will no tbe in that 2%. the only thing worked was to keep pressure on the band but you cannot live like that it causes damage. talk to your dr at your first appt if it doesnt stop. Have a great band journey.

I don't think you use the breathing exercise thing for that long. Last time I was sent home with one, I was told to use it for a few days, I think. I didn't get one with my band. I was just told to cough a lot. At two weeks or so out, I'd think that part is OK.

If in doubt, ALWAYS call your surgeon, even after hours. That is what we pay them the big dollars for. You said you bumped your port in the title, but you are talking about shoulder/arm pain?

I am confused.

And yes, you can feel your port under your skin. A hard lump.

Sorry, the shoulder pain and the port bump are two totally separate questions I had.

I didn't bump anything, no injuries at all. I only just felt the port bump for the first time a couple days ago, which made me worry a little bit. I thought it was possible that it had somehow shifted into a position that allowed me to feel it, but most likely I just hadn't noticed it before. I try not to touch that area, it's still tender.

About the shoulder pain, I'm almost positive it isn't gas pain. I'm back at work, moving around and over three weeks post op now. I never had even a tiny bit of gas pain even the first day after surgery. I know what it feels like though, I had it BAD after I had my first child. This is a very different kind of pain.

That's really scary, Bwesley, I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. I will ask them about that when I call, thanks.

Sorry, the shoulder pain and the port bump are two totally separate questions I had.

I didn't bump anything, no injuries at all. I only just felt the port bump for the first time a couple days ago, which made me worry a little bit. I thought it was possible that it had somehow shifted into a position that allowed me to feel it, but most likely I just hadn't noticed it before. I try not to touch that area, it's still tender.

About the shoulder pain, I'm almost positive it isn't gas pain. I'm back at work, moving around and over three weeks post op now. I never had even a tiny bit of gas pain even the first day after surgery. I know what it feels like though, I had it BAD after I had my first child. This is a very different kind of pain.

That's really scary, Bwesley, I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. I will ask them about that when I call, thanks.

Back with you! OK, left shoulder pain is quite common, even years after banding. Bands can rub on the vagus nerve and it runs to the left shoulder. Or you might still be getting rid of some of the gas they put in during the surgery (unlikely 3 weeks post-op, but not unheard-of).

I often get pain under my left lower ribs. My surgeon says it is nothing to be concerned about. Just air moving around. I recommend you check with your surgeon on it, but my guess is it is the vagus nerve thing. Many of us get it as a sign that we are getting full/satisfied.

My port is very "feelable" under my skin. It is a couple inches to the left of my belly button. I've always had an hourglass figure, and now with the weight gone, the port is RIGHT THERE! So, if you've been avoiding feeling the area, that would explain why you are just feeling it. Also, some pants are uncomfortable with where the waistband hits...so beware! :)

Oh, and the period thing, yes..not uncommon for it to be irregular after weight loss surgery. Hormones are stored in fat. As you lose, they are released, messing up your cycle. Nevermind just the trauma of the surgery.

Hope this helps!

I hadn't heard of the vagus nerve thing before, but I'm glad to know this is something common! I was worrying that I had some sort of infection going on in my lungs. I'll ask my doctor about it next time I go in, and the pain is MUCH better today, I can barely even feel it. Thanks for all of the advice!