Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Told I Need A Conversion. Anyone Done This?

I have been having problems with my band for the last year. In May I ended up with aspiration pheumonia and had to have an emergency unfill. I had two upper gis two months apart that I am having dilation of my esophagous so i was told I need to convert. My options are sleeve and bypass.

Unfortunately my insurance (TriWest) will not cover the sleeve so I am looking at bypass which is my least prefered of the two. I have a roomie who had bypass and had great sucess. Has anyone converted from band to bypass and how did it go for you?

Thanks! I am scared nervous, gaining weight (band only has 4cc), and having naseau and push back issues every time I eat.

I'm at the in-between stage. Had an urgent band removal 2 weeks ago slipped band, puking my toenails out). The original plan was to remove the band and convert to a by-pass at the same time, however, much to my chagrin, once my doc got the band out I had a lot of damage, inflammation, etc, so he took out the band and told me I need to wait 6-12 months for healing before the next step.

This stuff is HARD emotionally!!! Look up RNY Talk, same format as lap-band talk, the have an entire forum for conversions...lots of good info. Best of luck as you work through this...I can't speak for the by-pass but if I can help in any way I'm happy to!

Thanks this is so hard I am so nervous I dont want to have to wait between as I feel i will ballon up in weight. I meet with my surgeon today and then submit for approval then I guess it just depends on whats going on.

Sorry you are having to go through such a long wait that must be hard!

Hugs

Actually I'm doing okay now! The first week was tough mentally but I think I'll make it. I had my follow up today and we're looking at surgery in february. Also, after much reading, it appears that often people with a healing period between procedures have less complications....my gut was pretty jacked up, if he had gone straight to bypass then I'd have had to have a larger bypass pouch, which I really don't want!

Good luck!!

Looks like two procedures for me as well. Sigh I was all ready to move forward with the revision plans today but looks like band removal in 2-8 weeks then revision a few months after that. I am having trouble gaining weight and hope that doesn't cause some serious depression. I will be happy to be done with this whole process on onto dealing with other things lol

I do plan to get a second opinion at the military base here. They can convert to the sleeve as well so it never hurts to find out what they'd say.

I'm tentatively scheduled for February 11, 2013. Whew, funny how having that date, though distant, makes me feel so much better!!!! Get the second opinion, but don't rush your body! You want everything to be as perfect as possible to give you the best outcome from all of this. Good luck!!!!

Hi there I had my band removed april.17th due to errosion and had a visit to my surgion this month to talk about the sleeve or bypass because i cant do this on my own. i have become extremely depressed and have gained almost 50 pounds since removal. dr told my he wouldnt do the sleeve because of scar tissue and possible damage but would do bypass as this would be a better fir for me.im really not sure i just dont want to feel or look the way i look now. the waiting is driving me crazy so yes i do look forward to an actual date for procedure. im supposed to meet the team or go to some seminar in the fall my dr said so hopefully in september and hopefully i can get the surgery by the new year. good luck

Many people have converted successfully. You might post on bypass and sleeve boards as well. See what the folk over there have to say.

Check out RNY talk, it's the bypass version of lapband talk. There's a forum for band to bypass revision. My band was removed 3 weeks ago secondary to slip, I get my bypass in February.....

in feb 2012 had scope and band slipped, doc removed my Fluid and had to wait 6-8 weeks for upper gi, then another 4 weeks for a fill. the doc scheduled surgery for 8/27 and i'm going, when i went for preop on the 23rd, doc offered band with plication, has anyone done this?? not fda approved , I nervous because the lap band was to control my diabetes and it did until it failed. I gained 15 pounds since lap band unfilled and now no restriction. I weigh 162 and not sure if I am doing the right thing. Doc says plication will help loose weight faster but mostly clinical trial to use both lap band and plication to prevent slippage.

reply quick, surgery is monday, thank you

in feb 2012 had scope and band slipped' date=' doc removed my Fluid and had to wait 6-8 weeks for upper gi, then another 4 weeks for a fill. the doc scheduled surgery for 8/27 and i'm going, when i went for preop on the 23rd, doc offered band with plication, has anyone done this?? not fda approved , I nervous because the lap band was to control my diabetes and it did until it failed. I gained 15 pounds since lap band unfilled and now no restriction. I weigh 162 and not sure if I am doing the right thing. Doc says plication will help loose weight faster but mostly clinical trial to use both lap band and plication to prevent slippage.

reply quick, surgery is monday, thank you[/quote']

I keep seeing people in the forum who have had it but honestly know nothing about it....the theory is good, just don't know if that will translate to reality.