Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Stomach Literally Broke Open

I had lapband surgery in 2009. I had fantastic results and reached my weight goal. I never had any problems until 2 months ago. The area around the port was saw and swollen. One day i woke up and the port had broken through my skin. I could see white plastic protruding from my stomach. I saw one doctor who said the band had to be removed. Having it remove would be my biggest nightmare. I would almost rather die then get fat again.

I suffered in pain for several weeks until the entire port completely came out of my stomach. So i had a gaping wound with a plastic device hanging out. Then i went to hospital. The doctor cut off the port. He said there was an infection underneath so they couldn't sew up the wound. Im on antibiotics and have to change the dressing several times a day. The worst thing is the band is not working at all and i can eat and drink anything. Im guessing all the fill has come out.

I am really distressed now and don't know what my options are. Can a new port be put in?

the day it poked through your skin is the day you should have went to your doctor.

hope you are doing better now.

best to ask your surgeon that question about the new port as they know you and performed the surgery on you.

Oh my... You shouldn't have waited so long! I would assume that after the infection has healed and wound closed they should be able to go in and put another one in, probably replacing the band and all. Has anyone given you any idea as to WHY this would happen? Have you spoken to your surgeon?

Sorry just to clarify the surgery was done in Mexico and I am back living in Australia.

Secondly the doctors I see in Australia are all VERY unhelpful. The reason is that I was 65kg when I had the surgery and now I weigh 49kg. So every doctor I see says I'm thin and I don't need the band. However without it I know 100% I will stack on the weight. I expect I will have to travel overseas again to get help as stupid Australian doctors just look at an outsiders perspective.

I am prettty sure the port popped out as the band got infected and the infection was trying to escape somehow.

Oh wow. I'm sorry you had to go through that. I would definitely look into a second opinion locally and then if you get the same answer consider the US. I know there are a lot of people who have gone to Mexico to have this done, I am just not completely trusting of their laws and guidleines. My doc has told me from day 1 that this is a life long thing and the goal is to keep it in to keep you healthy. Good luck!

thats hard to deal with Im sure, but this is the time you should be relying on your new eating habits. the smaller bites, amounts. the lapband is a guiding tool for us and we need to rely on ourselves and not so much on the band. Hope things work out for you!

I'm not sure about your particular case of course but, I do know for sure that a surgery can be performed to replace a port and tubing without removing the band from the stomach. My surgeon, Dr Kenneth Hollis, of Houston, TX, USA does port replacements. Not sure what he would say about one that was placed in Mexico. Good luck!

Sorry just to clarify the surgery was done in Mexico and I am back living in Australia.

Secondly the doctors I see in Australia are all VERY unhelpful. The reason is that I was 65kg when I had the surgery and now I weigh 49kg. So every doctor I see says I'm thin and I don't need the band. However without it I know 100% I will stack on the weight. I expect I will have to travel overseas again to get help as stupid Australian doctors just look at an outsiders perspective.

I am prettty sure the port popped out as the band got infected and the infection was trying to escape somehow.

Oh wow, id be rich if i had a dollar for everytime someone said that to me. Yet ive just stayed ith my sis in Sydney doing the City to Surf and watched everyone i did the race with have a pre race Pasta binge and post race pub lunch. I nibbled, that's all. To stay normal weight i cannot eat like a normal person. End of story. We need our bands and Im surprised you cnt find empathy in a bariatric surgon! I hope you find. Solution.

Cutting off the port is not adequate treatment. A port site infection is very often a sign of band erosion, from bacteria traveling from the band down the tubing to the port. Band erosion requires band removal and plenty of healing time before additional surgery is performed. So cutting off the port only cuts off part of the problem. The source - your eroded band - could still be infected and getting worse. You literally could die from an untreated infection like that. So I'd be booking a flight back to Mexico ASAP.

Good luck.

I had lapband surgery in 2009. I had fantastic results and reached my weight goal. I never had any problems until 2 months ago. The area around the port was saw and swollen. One day i woke up and the port had broken through my skin. I could see white plastic protruding from my stomach. I saw one doctor who said the band had to be removed. Having it remove would be my biggest nightmare. I would almost rather die then get fat again.

I suffered in pain for several weeks until the entire port completely came out of my stomach. So i had a gaping wound with a plastic device hanging out. Then i went to hospital. The doctor cut off the port. He said there was an infection underneath so they couldn't sew up the wound. Im on antibiotics and have to change the dressing several times a day. The worst thing is the band is not working at all and i can eat and drink anything. Im guessing all the fill has come out.

I am really distressed now and don't know what my options are. Can a new port be put in?

ohh... how awful for you. I cant imagine how you must feel about it right now. Did the dr say why you got infected underneath? thats not good, especially as you have been banded some time now. I hope that you can get another port in. I dont see why not. ASk him about doing the port on the other side of your stomach?? surely he could do that?? Meantime... take good care of the wound... Good luck with it all and keep us posted. hugs for you judy

There's gotta be a surgeon somewhere that will help you. I have a friend that had hers done in mexico and she found a doctor in Dallas, TX (US) that takes care of her and has been for years. I used True Results Weight Loss Center here in the US and they have several locations thru out the US. Maybe you should contact a large group like that. I do think you should get on this ASAP because you don't want anything else going wrong inside your body of there is still an infection present. I'm so sorry you are going thru this!! This is scary!

I would almost rather die then get fat again.

This might be harsh but if you carry on neglecting your health then you might get your wish.

So which hospital did you go to? Which surgeons have you tried? If we have more information maybe we can suggest some Dr's that may be able to help?

Who was your original Dr? Who have you been going to for fills?

The most likely explanation for an infection of this nature is erosion. If the band has eroded into the stomach it is necessary for the band to be removed and for your stomach to heal before any type of revision surgery is considered.

http://arturorodriguezmd.com/lapband-erosion-clinical-radiological-and-endoscopic-correlation/comment-page-1

Model,

I was recently banded in Hobart by a great surgeon Dr Stephen Wilkinson. I went to see him about the ballon initially and ended up going with the band. I imagine he would be more sympathetic to your situation as I like you didn't have a huge amount of weight to lose. My BMI when banded was 28 and I have 22kgs to lose until I reach goal weight.

He was understanding and has no issues as he agreed that this was just as much about weight loss for me but also weight management.

Might be worth a call and could save an overseas trip.

Good luck